I currently do not own a tablet of any kind. But I am interested in getting one.

I am looking at reviews of all the major tablets. Blackberry playbook seems to get good reviews, but there is a lot of mention about RIM no longer supporting Blackberry Playbook long term.

I have yet to find an official statement about this.

Can someone confirm for me what the future is for Blackberry Playbook so I can decide if they are worth investing in?

Thank you
    12-19-13 07:39 AM
    OS10 is not compatible.

The PlayBook (PB) OS has been updated once, but doesn't seem to be further developed.
    There are some good apps in BB-World for it, sideloading works for very few Android Apps. I found a Kindle .BAR file, so I am using the Playbook as:
    - Backup flash memory
    - Digital picture frame
    - To surf the web when in bed
    - Videos
    - To read some kindle eBooks in color (didn't work for the latest Asterix)
    - Outlook mail account integrated via WiFi.

The so said emproved "Bridge" works only fine with the Bold (OS7.1) but not with my Q10!

What do you want to use the Tablet for? PB users could write if the desired task is available!?

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    12-19-13 08:08 AM
    Mods, pls delete my double posted quoted text instead of editing
    12-19-13 08:10 AM
    Edited above

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    12-19-13 08:11 AM
    Mostly to check messages and surf the www. I don't need it for games or anything. I might stream a movie from my desktop if that can be done.

But I don't want to sink the cash into Blackberry playbook if the thing is going belly up.

I just don't' seem to be able to find a firm answer to that. I was expecting to find a sticky here that would offer some answers...

If Playbook is on the way out, I may just get a Nexus or something...
    12-19-13 08:15 AM
    I'm a big fan of the PB and champion it to many people I talk to. For what you're looking for, it'll work just fine. Origami Browser makes it a quality web browsing tool. The email client is great too.

I believe you'd be able to stream movies from your desktop no problem -- KalemSoft Media Player, I think, allows for that. (Others who are more experienced can probably answer better than I can.)

You can sideload Android apps too; even though the Android runtime is slightly crippled (2.3.3), sideloads can work quite nicely (I use a half dozen or so for streaming music playlists, reading news, RSS feeds, etc.)

BB has stated that the PB will have limited support, whatever that means. Probably the odd update to keep Flash and security tight, but not much beyond that (if any).

For a good price, the PB is worthwhile, and you can indeed find them heavily discounted now. But it's probably about as good as it's going to get.
    12-19-13 08:26 AM
    BB has stated that the PB will have limited support, whatever that means. Probably the odd update to keep Flash and security tight, but not much beyond that (if any).
    Thank you, that is what I mostly needed to know. This should be a in a sticky at the top of this forum!

For a good price, the PB is worthwhile, and you can indeed find them heavily discounted now. But it's probably about as good as it's going to get.
    Now I just have to decide if it's worth investing in a tablet that's future is pretty much dead. The low price makes it tempting.

But at the same time I would like to know I can get a year or two out of it before having to replace it with something that's still supported.
    12-19-13 08:35 AM
    if you agree to thway anischab uses his/her playbook, you can squeeze years outta it. Its kind of reliable. evene the web version of office works. Blergh,confused it for office360 lulz
    12-19-13 08:38 AM
    I bought a playbook 64gb a month ago for $116 refurbished. I think is a good investment if you are looking for something light to use for Web, mail, video and music. It is not a fast tablet or powerful device. The booting process take like 2 minutes and if you go to a website like google+ it is painful slow.
    12-19-13 09:17 AM
    It's outdated technology.. the future of it is in your hands, whether you want to mod it and make it BB10 compatible or not is up to you, mind you it is VERY risky..

IMO wait for a BB10 tablet or get yourself a surface pro

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:21 AM
    It's outdated technology.. the future of it is in your hands, whether you want to mod it and make it BB10 compatible or not is up to you, mind you it is VERY risky..

Posted via CB10
    Well tell me where you will be able to find a 64gb tablet for $116? It is a good investment in my opinion, you can milk out of it to 2 years and upgrade to something better.
    12-19-13 09:26 AM
    Well tell me where you will be able to find a 64gb tablet for $116? It is a good investment in my opinion, you can milk out of it to 2 years and upgrade to something better.
    No doubt $116 for a 64GB PlayBook is an awesome deal.. I paid $600, but you get what you pay for.. it's out dated but still works.. just depends on what the user will be using it for

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 09:30 AM
    No doubt $116 for a 64GB PlayBook is an awesome deal.. I paid $600, but you get what you pay for.. it's out dated but still works.. just depends on what the user will be using it for

Posted via CB10
    Add to that the fact that you can run it for free. With Blackberry Bridge, you don't have to shell out $30.00 a month (Verizon) to use it. That is why I purchased the Playbook, and why I am still holding onto it. It works great for me, except when on Pinterest.
    12-19-13 10:03 AM
    As a Day 1 PlayBook owner, my best advice would be to spend the extra $30 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7". They're going for around $139 right now and you'll be able to expand the memory via a microSD card as well as have the latest technology that not only has more apps but ongoing support. Even as I sit here and type this on my PlayBook and have my Q10 sitting next to me, I would hate to see you throw away $116 on a PlayBook. You may say that you only want to check email and browse the web right now but I'll bet that will change. Maybe you'd like to be able to watch your tv stations right on your device? Maybe someone will buy you a Slingbox?

Good luck!!
    12-19-13 10:28 AM
    As much as I do find my playbook useful it is very old. Especially for Tech. I would recommend against it a nexus or an RT tablet would be a good choice. I do like my playbook but it's old and horribly supported.
    12-19-13 10:34 AM
    As a Day 1 PlayBook owner, my best advice would be to spend the extra $30 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7". They're going for around $139 right now and you'll be able to expand the memory via a microSD card as well as have the latest technology that not only has more apps but ongoing support. Even as I sit here and type this on my PlayBook and have my Q10 sitting next to me, I would hate to see you throw away $116 on a PlayBook. You may say that you only want to check email and browse the web right now but I'll bet that will change. Maybe you'd like to be able to watch your tv stations right on your device? Maybe someone will buy you a Slingbox?

Good luck!!
    I totally agreed with you but remember the Galaxy 3 tab is $139 plus the price of a sd card. Let's say you want the 64gb sd card version. It will cost you $139 + $52 = $191 dollars plus whatever taxes and shipping fees. So you will end up paying $200 bucks for the Galaxy 3 tab and SD card. I could had bought it a Galaxy 3 but I was looking for the cheapest alternative which I don't mind if the playbook does not have any more support or updates. I just want a tablet with flash in it to surf the Web.
    12-19-13 10:53 AM
    I love and still use my Playbook everyday.
    Sure it's not the fastest tablet, there aren't as many apps as iOS or Android, but it is still a solid machine. It's great at typing, surfing the web, mail, streaming video or using it as a camera (well a 5megapixel rear). Playbook supports flash, and can double up as a data storage device, and be used for a radio.

I have a Z10 and the new Blackberry Bridge is better, but still lacks what was optioned via Blackberry OS7.

I personally like my new 2013 Nexus 7 because it is faster, but I still use my Playbook.
    12-19-13 11:08 AM
    It's an essential tool for owners of 'legacy' BlackBerry smartphones.
    12-19-13 11:09 AM
    Playbook still has use for me for gaming, Plex media steaming and light browsing. If the browser was as fast / good as my z10 I would be on it more often

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:20 AM
    Thanks guys, this is all very helpful, please continue.

It looks like a bb may be worth it depending on how cheap I can pick one up.
    12-19-13 12:48 PM
    What is a BB10 tablet? Are they in actual development?
    12-19-13 01:24 PM
    What is a BB10?
    I think they are saying wait for a new bb10 tablet that may never be born.
    12-19-13 01:29 PM
    I wouldn't advise you to get a PlayBook, though it is quite functional there are better tablets out there. The price is just right if you don't want to spend a lot and it will definately be able to serve you a year or two

I use my PlayBook to surf the web, play movies on my TV via HDMI, playing music using the music gateway. I also use it to create and edit spreadsheets (it can only create simple spreadsheets).

I hope they bring out another PlayBook with better specs and BB10. I will surely buy it
    12-19-13 02:08 PM
    It has no future I will use mine as a paper weight as l recently bought a Nook HD and it beats the pants off it in every way……and the Nook HD is so light …..try reading a book on the playbook……..impossible
    12-19-13 07:23 PM
    It has no future I will use mine as a paper weight as l recently bought a Nook HD and it beats the pants off it in every way��and the Nook HD is so light �..try reading a book on the playbook��..impossible
    its not impossible. Probably uncomfortable or too much of a pain for you, but definitely not impossible.

unless you can't read a book with a playbook, to my surprise I can.
    12-19-13 08:14 PM
48 12