If they had marketed it a little differently, I think they would have seen a better uptake on it.
    A recurring excuse...
    PlayBook. Z10. What's next?

Well, they didn't market it. They released it with inadequate code release early. One had no native e-mail, seriously limiting uptake, and the other one released without some apps that people want, and a rebooting problem for some.

It's not just marketing. It is completely missing the target market.
    10-10-13 08:32 AM
    A recurring excuse...
    PlayBook. Z10. What's next?

Well, they didn't market it. They released it with inadequate code release early. One had no native e-mail, seriously limiting uptake, and the other one released without some apps that people want, and a rebooting problem for some.

It's not just marketing. It is completely missing the target market.
    Agreed, but marketing is something they can fix... their inherent lack of understanding of the target market and their inability to get anything to market on time are either so ingrained that they cannot be fixed or they have decided not to fix them.. either way, a little better marketing would go a long way..
    10-10-13 08:56 AM
    It's dead and written off. No more development, no more apps and it is the only device on the planet (including nuclear reactors, cars and toasters) that QNX can't be adapted for. Sad.

Sitting in the refuse pile next to the Z10s.
    Well said!
    10-10-13 09:29 AM
    Cisco, one "potential buyer", already failed with a tablet. The Cius.
    BlackBerry failed with a tablet.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results - Albert Einstein
    Thomas Edison reportedly "failed" thousands of times during his inventing career. Supposedly, he failed at least 1,000 times working on the incandescent bulb.

Of course, for Blackberry to fail 1,000 times on a tablet, Blackberry would probably need about a trillion dollars in the bank.
    10-10-13 11:01 AM
    This whole discussion (not just the one in this thread, mind) brings up the following analogy. The Playbook is like an elderly, retired citizen. Not much good to society as a whole, maybe, but not actually dead yet and still able to do stuff for the community and willing to watch his/her grandchildren once in a while. He/she wouldn't want to be buried before his/her time...
    10-10-13 12:28 PM
    A fancy (and expensive) digital photo frame.
    That's all I've ever viewed any tablet as!

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 12:37 PM
    10-10-13 01:09 PM
    It's dead and written off. No more development, no more apps and it is the only device on the planet (including nuclear reactors, cars and toasters) that QNX can't be adapted for. Sad.

Sitting in the refuse pile next to the Z10s.
    Say what? The Playbook runs on QNX.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Fuzz360 likes this.
    10-10-13 02:30 PM
    This whole discussion (not just the one in this thread, mind) brings up the following analogy. The Playbook is like an elderly, retired citizen. Not much good to society as a whole, maybe, but not actually dead yet and still able to do stuff for the community and willing to watch his/her grandchildren once in a while. He/she wouldn't want to be buried before his/her time...
    EXCUSE ME!! Moderator - cane this man, mine is in use right now! Then toss in the dirt!
    10-10-13 02:56 PM
    EXCUSE ME!! Moderator - cane this man, mine is in use right now! Then toss in the dirt!
    Why the cane? Buy me another Playbook... That'll teach me!
    FF22 and cman5 like this.
    10-10-13 02:58 PM
    Say what? The Playbook runs on QNX.

Excellent news - why can't BB10 run on it then?
    Wasn't the PlayBook the test case for BB10?

Fail.
    10-10-13 03:07 PM
    The Playbook will continue to be a very useful, yet under-appreciated, soon to be unknown, excellent device that is owned by a number of us "Prosumers". Most Playbooks will probably outlive the majority of phones and tablets being sold today.
    cman5 and GoWithTheFro like this.
    10-10-13 03:09 PM
    I'm still using mine for reading through the kindle app and magazines through pdf reader. Also play some games but looking to get a nexus in the future.
    cman5 likes this.
    10-10-13 03:22 PM
    It does me down to a Tee! Its quick and nippy enough to put me off using my pc, its small enough to pop in my gf's handbag, and its as powerful as any other tablet I've come across.

People bang on like they have shares in BlackBerry or something�......ITS TECH, its as useful now as it was a month ago when you bought it!
    10-10-13 03:37 PM
    Excellent news - why can't BB10 run on it then?
    Wasn't the PlayBook the test case for BB10?

Fail.
    Heins didn't say it couldn't when he said months ago that he was not going to release a PB version. He said basically that it was slow and the PB hardware and software were not up to the task. As far as I know he has never said whether he came to this conclusion by trying to read email and do light browsing or when he tried to play a game on it while having other apps open. Since then BB10 has gone through two updates which may have made the situation worse. As I saw some place BB10 now uses a later version of the QNX kernel than that being employed in the PB. How much difference that makes I don't know. Perhaps someone else can comment on the possibility of upgrading the kernel. As far as the emulator being upgraded to Android 4.x, which in itself is a moving target, perhaps others can comment on the effect on RAM and cpu processing power requirements.

10-10-13 03:41 PM
    So, the Playbook is not dead?
    10-10-13 03:44 PM
    Playbook's past is well known, a kind of open book, but can anyone, any of us, predict what Playbook's future will be?
    Shiny posh doorstop career?
    door stops | notonthehighstreet.com

10-10-13 03:51 PM
    Mine still puts me to sleep at night running NodeBeat. It's the only device I have that can run it properly in the background or while doing anything else on the device. Z10 fizzles out after about 15 seconds not fullscreen, iPad 2 will freeze the nodes in their current formation as soon as it goes background. I know all the behaviour is the developer's doing, just seems it was easier to make it work without fuss on the PlayBook than any other device I've tried it on.
    10-10-13 04:25 PM
    I got a 64 gb last black friday (or sometime like that- some big sale where it was dirt cheap), and I use it mainly for school to look at powerpoints and to record my lectures. I occasionally play a game or two, use my ESPN or NBA app, use sideloaded apps, and listen to music.

Where I am getting at is- that's the future. The future for it is exactly what it is now unless some unlikely scenario others have mentioned occurs. Use it how it suits you best- if that's all the time great - if that's none of the time sorry for your loss of an investment.
    cman5 likes this.
    10-10-13 08:06 PM
    The future of the PlayBook is what you make of it.
    cman5 and Fuzz360 like this.
    10-10-13 10:39 PM
    It is kind of a zombie. Blackberry effectively killed it but it continues to live on. Until a head shot (hardware failure) takes it out there is no telling how long it will continue to live.
    GoWithTheFro likes this.
    10-11-13 05:50 AM
    Some will use their PlayBook till it dies in their hands.

Some have put it on a shelf where it has stayed, until they throw it out.

Some are slowing weening themselves from their PlayBook only using it occasionally.

Some have repurposed it - Personally mine is now a kids toy. I've loaded the complete Disney library of animated films on it, along with a number of kids games. And I've given it to my 3 year old granddaughter. She has gotten much more use out of it than I did.

Some will have sold theirs on EBay and used the money to buy a Tablet that is a better fit for them.

Peoples needs, expectations and pocketbook are different, so their PlayBooks future is going to be different.
    10-11-13 10:02 AM
    Playbook's past is well known, a kind of open book, but can anyone, any of us, predict what Playbook's future will be?
    Obsolete!
    10-11-13 10:13 AM
    If Lazaridis successful purchase BB back. He gotta have a little pride left in him to fix the playbook. No?
    10-11-13 11:10 AM
    If Lazaridis successful purchase BB back. He gotta have a little pride left in him to fix the playbook. No?
    NO

Best feature of the PlayBook was it Charger... I got several for $8. Most everything today is a micro usb, and the PlayBook Charger has the power to charge anything.
    10-11-13 11:17 AM
84 1234