How Are Users Responding to the BlackBerry Playbook?

I know BlackBerry CEO, Thorsten Heins, came out and said that BlackBerry wasn't supporting the Playbook with BB10, but the end of that interview eluded to BlackBerry considering what they were going to do about Playbook customers. So the question was posed, "What would customers like to see BlackBerry do as a gesture of goodwill?"

It is obvious that if BlackBerry is to succeed, it needs the ideas and support of its customer base and there wasn't nearly enough comments on this original post, so I took the liberty of re-posting it.

I have been wanting a Playbook for the longest time and have wanted one for some time and entered every known contest that CB hosted to give one away., and now I find out that it's all but discontinued...just like BB OS7 phones. The thought of buying an Apple or Android tablet or any other tablet is anything but appealing. The answer is, if you can't make the current Playbook work, go back to the drawing board and give us a tablet that will work. You know the demand is out there, so why not go for it! I believe it would help restore the BlackBerry name as a mobile device authority, which is what it used to be before it got complacent and let competitors take its rightful place at the top of the mobile market.

So those are my thoughts, but let's hear it, not just current Playbook owners, but any and everyone that owns or has ever considered owning a Playbook: What would you like to see come out of BlackBerry in response to the Playbook?
    Attached Thumbnails The Future of the Playbook-kgrhqnlcffyqson0ubrh99u.jpg  
    snapperhead23 likes this.
    09-08-13 07:04 PM
    I would rather see BB just do nothing more with it and not talk about it. its done dead and buried and time to move on.
    09-08-13 07:09 PM
    How Are Users Responding to the BlackBerry Playbook?

I know BlackBerry CEO, Thorsten Heins, came out and said that BlackBerry wasn't supporting the Playbook with BB10, but the end of that interview eluded to BlackBerry considering what they were going to do about Playbook customers. So the question was posed, "What would customers like to see BlackBerry do as a gesture of goodwill?"

It is obvious that if BlackBerry is to succeed, it needs the ideas and support of its customer base and there wasn't nearly enough comments on this original post, so I took the liberty of re-posting it.

I have been wanting a Playbook for the longest time and have wanted one for some time and entered every known contest that CB hosted to give one away., and now I find out that it's all but discontinued...just like BB OS7 phones. The thought of buying an Apple or Android tablet or any other tablet is anything but appealing. The answer is, if you can't make the current Playbook work, go back to the drawing board and give us a tablet that will work. You know the demand is out there, so why not go for it! I believe it would help restore the BlackBerry name as a mobile device authority, which is what it used to be before it got complacent and let competitors take its rightful place at the top of the mobile market.

So those are my thoughts, but let's hear it, not just current Playbook owners, but any and everyone that owns or has ever considered owning a Playbook: What would you like to see come out of BlackBerry in response to the Playbook?
    That statement was made from an informal interview from this site. Not in front of major news outlet. I doubt he even remember or care what was said. In reality I doubt there's any future for current playbook or any plan for newer tablets from this company. They will be lucky to survive in the niche market of serving the corporate world. As far as consumer market goes, without the interest from another company, with the current management and board members, I believe this company is done.
    dmlis likes this.
    09-08-13 07:14 PM
    I know this site was involved in that interview, that's the post I was quoting in my post. I don't believe this company is done though. A lot needed to be done, which is what we've been seeing. It's just like something I've been dealing with recently. I help out at my church and recently the head of the tech/sound dept stepped down leaving myself and one other guy to pick up the pieces. The guy that stepped down, left much to be done, which is why myself and my newly appointed partner had much to do. The same is true with BlackBerry. They were the first in the smart phone industry and didn't capitalize on that fact and instead got passed up by competitors, which left them with much to be done if they were going to have any chance at a comeback.
    09-08-13 07:26 PM
    The future of my PlayBook.....is to keep using it until the battery dies and then go buy another tablet of some sort
    09-08-13 07:29 PM
    I know this site was involved in that interview, that's the post I was quoting in my post. I don't believe this company is done though. A lot needed to be done, which is what we've been seeing. It's just like something I've been dealing with recently. I help out at my church and recently the head of the tech/sound dept stepped down leaving myself and one other guy to pick up the pieces. The guy that stepped down, left much to be done, which is why myself and my newly appointed partner had much to do. The same is true with BlackBerry. They were the first in the smart phone industry and didn't capitalize on that fact and instead got passed up by competitors, which left them with much to be done if they were going to have any chance at a comeback.
    You can't compare your own situation with the company. Every indication how this company handle the playbook since it's launched is a tell tale sign the management are inept when it comes to commitment and public relations. They put all their focus on launching the BB10 devices and it still come out short. Q1 was disappointing and the news that lead to Q2 is not looking any better. In the midst of it, the company decide to announce the seeking of a buyer and put a time line of November. Never mind the regular consumers, would you think their corporate customers would commit now that the company future is in limbo? Would you as a company that wanted to renew your phone contracts commit millions of dollars to BB knowing the company is up for sale? I like my playbook. I like my Z10. I want nothing more to have the company succeed so I can enjoy future development of the QNX technology on tablets and phones. But we are talking about miracle here. Not the kind you see the Jesus face on the toast. BB need a perfect match from another company that give them the time and investment to develop further. That's a tall order.
    09-08-13 07:56 PM
    PlayBook should become the raspberry pi of tablets. BlackBerry either commits support to it or unlock the bootloader

Posted via CB10
    vangelas likes this.
    09-08-13 07:58 PM
    Still feel it's a great device and use mine all the time. Waiting to see what happens with the leaked os update...If it appears to be stable I think I will give it a try...
    bbafdad likes this.
    09-08-13 08:26 PM
    I have the leak loaded on mine. Everything works so far.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 09:26 PM
    There really isn't much profit margin in tablets and only Apple is making any respectable gains in this area. BlackBerry wisely decided not to continue throwing money into the wind by building another loss-making tablet in an already crowded market.
    09-08-13 10:52 PM
    I have to chime in here. I recently bought a 32gb Playbook second-hand from Kijiji for 50.00. Being a couple of years old, this thing blows the doors off your bargain basement Android tabs. The screen is beautiful. Crisp and Clear. Very intuitive interface. It does what I want it to. Email, IMDB and web browsing. I have a Kross Android Tab (4.0 ICS) and it is pretty much unusable due to the constant freezes and lock ups. Cheap and ultimately garbage.
    David in Durham and bbafdad like this.
    09-08-13 11:05 PM
    BB10 as promised to my 13yr old son. I just went to Best Buy and got a IPAD for the kid because it has Netflix, Amazon and Skype. He gave me the playbook, which I love! Why would a CEO of a huge Tech. Company make such a promise if the upgrade could not be?
    FF22, vangelas and cmdr_dan like this.
    09-08-13 11:26 PM
    BB10 as promised to my 13yr old son. I just went to Best Buy and got a IPAD for the kid because it has Netflix, Amazon and Skype. He gave me the playbook, which I love! Why would a CEO of a huge Tech. Company make such a promise if the upgrade could not be?
    Have you noticed they can't quite manage to handle anything beyond their mobile bubble. The upgrade actually could be because of the dev alpha devices prove that but, the experience wasn't good enough... the problem people have though is that they aren't supporting it one bit anymore. a Pb OS 3.0 with all its remaining issues fixed and Android 4.2.2 is what they should be doing with it.... but nope.

Posted via CB10
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    09-08-13 11:44 PM
    I have been trying to make this point for a while now: the future of the Playbook lies with the community and this community should start acting accordingly. The brilliant Origami browser proves where and how a dedicated developer can still improve on the functionality of the little device. This community should facilitate and inspire such development, not sit around for the device to inevitably die. You can even see the EOL-status of the Playbook as a challenge to start coding yourself. And if (but I wouldn't hold my breath) my initiative outlined in tthe "Action" thread to turn the default apps into "open source" apps ultimately pans out, we could obviously use every possible developer to make this work.
    09-08-13 11:54 PM
    I have been trying to make this point for a while now: the future of the Playbook lies with the community and this community should start acting accordingly. The brilliant Origami browser proves where and how a dedicated developer can still improve on the functionality of the little device. This community should facilitate and inspire such development, not sit around for the device to inevitably die. You can even see the EOL-status of the Playbook as a challenge to start coding yourself. And if (but I wouldn't hold my breath) my initiative outlined in tthe "Action" thread to turn the default apps into "open source" apps ultimately pans out, we could obviously use every possible developer to make this work.
    1+
    09-09-13 12:05 AM
    Since I got my Z10 I have used my PlayBook very little maybe once a month. My Z10 does everything the PlayBook used to do for me. I am not sure what I will do with it but one thing I would enjoy using the PlayBook for is for bridge watching videos from my Z10

Posted via CB10
    bbafdad likes this.
    09-09-13 01:16 AM
    Since I got my Z10 I have used my PlayBook very little maybe once a month. My Z10 does everything the PlayBook used to do for me. I am not sure what I will do with it but one thing I would enjoy using the PlayBook for is for bridge watching videos from my Z10

Posted via CB10
    I've bought the PlayBook after I purchased the Z10 and I have uses for it. Almost all my big Gig games are on it, movies loaded on it, origami browser is excellent and brings new life to the device. It's too bad though that you can't set the origami browser as the default.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 01:21 AM
    The new browser makes so much difference in this survival game.

Daniel, TO
    09-09-13 02:21 AM
    My PB has become a little slow. How can I freshen it up?!

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 02:52 AM
    The only thing that would extend the Playbooks life would be to open source the code (like HP). This WILL NOT HAPPEN. Game over. Enjoy it for what it is and start thinking about a replacement when your Playbook is no longer useful.
    09-09-13 06:56 AM
    The bottom line is financial reward for the devs. Developing apps is a numbers game. The more the better chance of being download by users. Given the number of users we got for playbook and taken into account of those who actually still visit the app world looking for apps, it's rather insignificance. However, for the past week, I have been purchasing apps from the app world that I thought I could use. I added no less than a dozen of them to my collection. If there's one way of encouraging devs to continue their support, it's buying apps. I am still surprise to see some new one being added. So go visit and have a look. Many are so new, there's no review at all.
    bbafdad likes this.
    09-09-13 07:11 AM
    The future of my PlayBook.....is to keep using it until the battery dies and then go buy another tablet of some sort
    diddo
    09-09-13 07:15 AM
    diddo
    Ditto
    09-09-13 07:41 AM
    @bambinoitaliano
    I never claimed devs shouldn't be paid for their effort
    (and your "go visit and have a look" remark would seem pretty low, actually)
    09-09-13 09:17 AM
    @bambinoitaliano
    I never claimed devs shouldn't be paid for their effort
    (and your "go visit and have a look" remark would seem pretty low, actually)
    Huh? All I'm doing is to encourage users go to app world and have a browse and perhaps pick up a few apps. How is it turning into remark as aiming at you being low? Seriously? It's my point of view not intending to swipe at anyone. This is like the second time that you seems to twist my intention into some sort of a vendetta against someone. SMH! You have your way of keeping the playbook alive and I applaud you. I have my way too.
    09-09-13 09:25 AM
38 12