So I picked up a new iPad and yes, the screen is great.

So what. Very little else about iOS has changed. Sure, features like "voice dictation" are added. Small improvements.

As a product manager, I know how this game is played. Put enough new into the device / OS to entice upgrades, but no so much that you blow your wad all at once. Apple has this nuanced to a T (iPhone 4S? Come on, Mr. Cook... that's a bit underwhelming, don't you think? I understand Siri to be Nuance voice identification software (translating spoken word to text, accurately) then hitting up the Wolfram Alpha site to get the answers, then text-to-speech to read "something" back to you, outloud... which isn't really an invention at all, more like just a batch script with a GUI on it... and it requires a live internet connection to boot. I don't think it can even tell you the current time without an internet connection, can it? But I digress...)

I'm wondering what iOS 6 will hold, but in the long run, what I'm seeing as differences between how Apple is driving iOS and how RIM is driving BBX toward the future is that Apple is adding new apps into the core app package, but RIM is adding new core functionality to the OS itself upon which compelling new applications can be built.

Yes, your device has to have an accelerometer and a magnetometer to do augmented reality, but if the device DOES have those features, the app has to be written and logically compute useful things with that data... and the data has to be presented in a compelling manner.

I have watched a few videos regarding how the iOS user interface components can be used by developers... but what I haven't seen from Apple what I have seen from Microsoft in the past, and RIM going forward, is a keenness to build foundational user interface components into the core OS that software developers can use to build really compelling applications.

Yes, the list control and checkboxes and type and panels in iOS are all very pretty... they are very well designed, precision user interface components... but what TAT has shown with the Cascades interface and the NDK has the basic capabilities of iOS beat by a long shot.

Microsoft is always integrating these types of UI components into their development platforms for easy implemenation and deployment, and it's made Windows the most successful (in terms of revenue) operating systems ever).

My feeling is that RIM will continue to build jaw-dropping user interface components into BBX which will draw developers and result in best-of-breed apps, that will be available only on BBX... will Apple continue their "keep is simple, stupid" approach to the core OS or do you think they too will begin to integrate whiz-bang components into the GUI?

If you're an iOS developer and know something I don't know re: "there ARE whiz-bang components in iOS!" I'd love to hear about them, and then a comparison of what we've seen of Cascades can be done against what iOS has got.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 03-19-12 at 01:52 PM.
    joski likes this.
    03-19-12 01:46 PM
    My feeling is that Apple's iProducts will have to stay with small incremental updates, lest they alienate their large user base, similar to how Microsoft has to deal with Windows users.
    03-19-12 01:55 PM
    I think it all depends on what the people seem to like, if Apple feels that they are losing customers to RIM over this, I think they would, or just come up with some other upgrade that sounds great, but it might also happen that they say hey, we've still got great sales, we don't care.
    03-19-12 01:56 PM
    I don't like the dictation feature at all.. It's not instant..

BBX is QNX which is on the pb with lot of new implementation? If yes then that's good..

But don't forget that iOS is also in development and they were working on hardware as of now so it's logical for them to shift focus on software.. But anyways they are simplifying the software to no extent.. And that's not good.
    03-19-12 02:19 PM
    Much of this discussion on OS development (Apple, RIM and others) depend upon the new chips, which RIM claims will not be available until the end of the year (?).

Also, the new chips are battery hogs, limiting some power draining functionality.
    Once the new chips are available every company will have them or clones.

New features are always catch-up ball.
    03-19-12 08:21 PM
    So when we talk about things that Cascades will offer, we are still talking things we *hope* to see (and that we hope will actually work). This is very different from what Apple already gives us and what we already knows works correctly as documented. That's a big difference.

I think in looking at Apple APIs, a lot of people stop at UIKit. But what about things like CoreAnimation? If Cascades 1.0 is as sophisticated as CoreAnimation I would be quite happy (and honestly a bit surprised).

Or to take an example from the OP, what about CoreMotion? On BB10 are we expected to do what CoreMotion does ourselves by taking accelerometer data and compass data and then smoothing it ourselves with the gyros? I don't see anything in the NDK now that does that for us. What about CoreText? Will we have the equivalent of CoreText in Cascades? Right now we have no idea.

So I think we have to understand there is so much still missing from the NDK right now, that there is no way to objectively compare it to any other SDK. We can talk about what RIM might give us in theory someday. But until that stuff actually ships and actually works, it really doesn't mean anything at all.

Again, it's possible that they have a bunch of wizards up there who will exceed the UI APIs from Microsoft, Google and Apple. But you can't make that claim now before anyone has really seen anything of the sort from them.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 03-19-12 at 08:53 PM.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    03-19-12 08:38 PM
    My feeling is that RIM will continue to build jaw-dropping user interface components into BBX which will draw developers and result in best-of-breed apps, that will be available only on BBX...
    Having a "jaw-dropping user interface" is great, but if you have struggle to sell it, I'm not sure what the point is.
    03-19-12 08:42 PM
    Right now the world just seems to be in an apple phase if I had to pick one os we will be using in 10 years I would go with android, ios is a glorified toy and everyone seems to be leaving blackberry

Out of the big three I think android will be the winner in the long run, why? Because its basically the windows of smartphones.

WebOS and Win Phone 8 have no chance though
    03-19-12 09:03 PM
    So when we talk about things that Cascades will offer, we are still talking things we *hope* to see (and that we hope will actually work). This is very different from what Apple already gives us and what we already knows works correctly as documented. That's a big difference.

I think in looking at Apple APIs, a lot of people stop at UIKit. But what about things like CoreAnimation? If Cascades 1.0 is as sophisticated as CoreAnimation I would be quite happy (and honestly a bit surprised).

Or to take an example from the OP, what about CoreMotion? On BB10 are we expected to do what CoreMotion does ourselves by taking accelerometer data and compass data and then smoothing it ourselves with the gyros? I don't see anything in the NDK now that does that for us. What about CoreText? Will we have the equivalent of CoreText in Cascades? Right now we have no idea.

So I think we have to understand there is so much still missing from the NDK right now, that there is no way to objectively compare it to any other SDK. We can talk about what RIM might give us in theory someday. But until that stuff actually ships and actually works, it really doesn't mean anything at all.

Again, it's possible that they have a bunch of wizards up there who will exceed the UI APIs from Microsoft, Google and Apple. But you can't make that claim now before anyone has really seen anything of the sort from them.
    I agree. Apple has a really solid SDK. just look at xcode. Apple has a huge head start in terms of making powerful SDK for developers. I'm talking about many many years, even before iOS came about. Right now, we are all just hoping that Cascades will be as great as we imagined it to be. Hoping that Cascades will bring much needed change in the app development community for BlackBerry devices in the future. But, until us consumers actually see "great" apps built with Cascades, and developers start using it, it is as good as anyone's guess.

RIM has an advantage with Cascades in the way that they are starting afresh on a brand new platform. They have seen what Apple can do, so they can just build on from that. But with Apple, it is always hard to say when they will do a major refresh of their OS and developer tools. They have always been rather secretive about their work and they are not afraid of getting rid of something that is working great in order to make room for something even better. So this is a question that can't be answered with facts at the moment. Comparing an existing product, with one that has yet to arrive. Who knows, Apple might be working on something big too.

This is a question that will answer itself in the future.

I do have high hopes for Cascades as well. I am hoping that it will the same as what i have imagined, and maybe even exceeding my expectations. But at this point, its all just very very very hard to say.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-19-12 09:18 PM
    It'll be jaw-dropping when I see PDF support, "Send to" ability, printing or Asian Language input on the PlayBook. Those are pretty basic OS features that are missing right now.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-19-12 09:32 PM
    I do have high hopes for Cascades as well. I am hoping that it will the same as what i have imagined, and maybe even exceeding my expectations. But at this point, its all just very very very hard to say.
    And, as much of a RIM fan as I am, unless TAT becomes standard operating kit on the PlayBook and not tradeshow Promiseware (calculator is cool...however) time is ticking, and it's becoming less relevant.

Even CB Kevin is getting impatient. Cool only lasts so long.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    03-19-12 11:18 PM
    Umm so I understand now TAT + Cascades + All problems solved (hopefully) = BBX
    03-19-12 11:58 PM
    Apple iOS is to crack as BlackBerry BBX is to cocaine. Crack is for the masses while cocaine is for the elite. Of course in the end both will serious screw up your life if you become addicted. Oh wait! I am a crackberry addict...disregard what I said.
    03-20-12 12:29 AM
    I don't like the dictation feature at all.. It's not instant..

BBX is QNX which is on the pb with lot of new implementation? If yes then that's good..

But don't forget that iOS is also in development and they were working on hardware as of now so it's logical for them to shift focus on software.. But anyways they are simplifying the software to no extent.. And that's not good.
    The dictation on the new iPad is actually pretty good. While it isn't continuous/instant, I feel like it's more accurate than Google's implementation through voice search and Ice Cream Sandwich dictation.

I wouldn't say that iOS is being simplified. I would argue the contrary; it's being expanded. Text-to-speech system-wide is pretty impressive. Airplay mirroring is allowing for computers and televisions to become full-fledged monitors for their mobile devices while Wifi syncing and the untethered experienced of the iPad have produced an independent mobile computer.
    03-20-12 12:46 AM
    Haven't we all seen these features since 2005? Apple is slow in glorifying things or as you might say make it available for the masses.. Would you want QNX Car2 on your tab or Text-to-speech? Airplay is cool but it's just gonna make everyone fat if they are so lazy to connect HDMI.. Oh forgot! No BB Remote? No choice but to shell out extra $$$ like always.. With iPad still using it's iOS, iPad remains an independent mobile device.. QNX is much closer to a mobile computer..

Edit.. Sorry but 'Dictation' is another addition to the list of Apple's misleading terms.. Dictation should be 'real-time' and the application on the iPad isn't.. It first needs to connect to your wi-fi with active internet connection, then record your voice, send it online to 3rd Party for transcription and then display it for you to check any errors or typo.. Dictation would make a lot of potential buyers think that they simply press that mic button on the keyboard and the words are typed as they speak. Cause obviously any sane person would think that to be a dictation.. But not in Apple's world where they are freely allowed to make their own definitions. It should be made clear that Dictation is an Online based transcription service rather than collectively mention in fine text that 'some features may require wi-fi'
    Last edited by varunsain; 03-20-12 at 03:51 AM.
    03-20-12 03:11 AM
    As a Product Manager, you should know that Apple has no urgency to put something new to the market because there is NO COMPETITION at all. With the introduction of new iPad, they have an excuse to sell iPad 2 at a more competitive price making more people going for an iPad rather than an Android tablet of similar price.

Think about how many more years other tablets have to spend in order to catch up the user experience of an iPad?
    03-20-12 04:17 AM
    Xcode 4 has been nothing but pain for me. It crashes all the time. Some of the features didn't work at all until the latest update. Granted, the docs are top-notch.

Qde took a while to get used to. But I now like working with it more than Xcode. I just wish the NDK is as rich as the SDK for iOS.

I can see Apple will put true multitasking into iOS eventually. That might be the death knell for Android and RIM. Apple didn't put that in because they are stingy on RAM and want to extend battery life. But in a year or so, these issues will probably be gone. The tablet will be more powerful than the Macbook Air we have today. What's the point of putting in a quad-core CPU into the iPad when the OS doesn't allow true multitasking?

My prediction: when A6 (whatever it is that has quad-core) gets into the iPad, that is when iOS will have true multitasking.
    03-20-12 04:19 AM
    ...It should be made clear that Dictation is an Online based transcription service rather than collectively mention in fine text that 'some features may require wi-fi'
    iPad has 3G/4G model making the "require wi-fi" thing almost transparent to user. what they need to do is to talk to the device and wait for response.

for the rest of the world, they have to tether their tablets with their phones or get a wi-fi first, and then figured out that they have nothing to do even they are connected.

Who's more pathetic?
    03-20-12 04:22 AM
    You.....
    killa4luv likes this.
    03-20-12 06:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD