Is it true or did I read wrong that the BlackBerry PlayBook is going to lose support? If so will it just quit working?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-14 09:20 PM
    OS updates are doubtful from this point forward. If any will come, they'll be for security holes.

The latest Native SDK tools already drop support for the PlayBook, so don't expect any new apps (not that you would).

It's pretty much end of life now. It'll still work, just not any better.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm and Carl Estes like this.
    12-04-14 09:26 PM
    Lol, you just heard? That has already happened.
    12-04-14 09:28 PM
    Lol, you just heard? That has already happened.
    Well, to be honest it wasn't widespread news. I think we found out when someone (Kevin?) reported that OS2 was not on the BBRY supported OS list anymore....
    12-05-14 09:28 AM
    It wasn't really a publicized event, but yes, it has lost support (although there are some talks on the forums of a magical update potentially coming...I'm not holding my breath). As for it just not working...no. If it's working now, it'll work later. Just because support is switched off, doesn't mean that it just flat out won't work anymore. Only issue I see is if the Playbook is "bricked" and needs to get the OS loaded. If BB turns off the update server, then in that situation one is screwed. Can't imagine that it's a lot of money to keep a small server up for this purpose, but at some point they may flip the switch.

But if you get no issues with your OS and don't need to reload it, then the hardware will keep working until something else breaks.
    mh1983 likes this.
    12-08-14 07:18 AM
    Well, to be honest it wasn't widespread news. I think we found out when someone (Kevin?) reported that OS2 was not on the BBRY supported OS list anymore....
    So all the non CB members with a playbook are still under the impression that the OS update is coming soon?
    12-08-14 03:42 PM
    Is there really one coming? Wow.

I'm going to grab my PlayBook

Yes it's a BlackBerry. If you have something bad to say... speak to Easton!
    12-08-14 11:50 PM
    OS updates are doubtful from this point forward. If any will come, they'll be for security holes.
    Quoted for truth and amplification. The rumors of an "update" that have been circulating? I'm pretty sure that this is what (and all) it will really be...

Sad. I do wish they would "open it up" so that home-cooked dev could continue. There is a lot of potential in this device (it has better specs than a lot of new "cheapie" android tablets being sold right now) and a full android update ala 10.3 would be a wonderful thing to keep it alive a lot longer in it's EOL state.
    12-10-14 10:02 AM
    It wasn't really a publicized event, but yes, it has lost support (although there are some talks on the forums of a magical update potentially coming...I'm not holding my breath). As for it just not working...no. If it's working now, it'll work later. Just because support is switched off, doesn't mean that it just flat out won't work anymore. Only issue I see is if the Playbook is "bricked" and needs to get the OS loaded. If BB turns off the update server, then in that situation one is screwed. Can't imagine that it's a lot of money to keep a small server up for this purpose, but at some point they may flip the switch.

But if you get no issues with your OS and don't need to reload it, then the hardware will keep working until something else breaks.

It is a good idea, if you want to keep using your Playbook, to download and keep a copy of the last Playbook autoloader. I believe that Thurask has archived that.
    mh1983 and rdm101 like this.
    12-10-14 10:13 AM

It is a good idea, if you want to keep using your Playbook, to download and keep a copy of the last Playbook autoloader. I believe that Thurask has archived that.
    Good idea! If you wipe and load the OS, doesn't it have to go through initial setup? Does this not require connecting to the BB Playbook server? If not, then this is something all PB users should do to ensure their device can keep going as long as the hardware doesn't fail.
    12-11-14 07:41 AM
    Even if you re-install the OS from your PC you still need the Playbook to contact the server during setup...so if that server is switched off without BlackBerry pushing an update that breaks this dependency any Playbook that is wiped will be rendered inoperative.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 07:51 AM
    Even if you re-install the OS from your PC you still need the Playbook to contact the server during setup...so if that server is switched off without BlackBerry pushing an update that breaks this dependency any Playbook that is wiped will be rendered inoperative.

Posted via CB10
    Yes-that is definitely true-here's hoping that just before the server goes dark that Blackberry will send a fix to all Playbooks OTA or otherwise to allow bypass of setup. That would seem logical, but then again BB sometimes seems illogical
    12-11-14 01:58 PM
    Yes-that is definitely true-here's hoping that just before the server goes dark that Blackberry will send a fix to all Playbooks OTA or otherwise to allow bypass of setup. That would seem logical, but then again BB sometimes seems illogical
    Wasn't 2.1.0.1917 supposed to do that?
    12-11-14 04:35 PM