07-17-13 08:09 AM
158 12345 ...
tools
    F2, you're right, I wrongly assumed the OP was talking about his home network. But anyway the PlayBook doesn't seem to like AP's switching channels...
    04-02-12 01:28 PM
    I reinstall the OS and now the PB freezes up during the setup routine. From bad to worse, lol. My PB is now a doorstop or something of that ilk. C'est La Vie as the French will say.
    04-02-12 01:46 PM
    Looks like I was a little excited too soon. My PB's wifi worked fine for few hours this morning, but it started dropping connections again. I repeated the same process, but same results..
    04-02-12 01:55 PM
    Rma ........................
    04-02-12 03:53 PM
    Stupid question: how does one delete a wifi profile? TIA.
    04-02-12 04:11 PM
    Fed up with it like OP. No problems at home. I've security wiped twice. Next day I can use the wifi on the bus. Following day, just spins and never connects. I've tried all combinations- phone off, bridge off, pb reboot. My 9800 connects every time. Wife's ipad connects every time. Anyone know of a way to flush the dns? Maybe that's the problem.
    04-02-12 04:14 PM
    Stupid question: how does one delete a wifi profile? TIA.
    Wifi, select network, saved, pencil, trash can.
    04-02-12 04:17 PM
    Thank you.

On this PB the problem was (is?) that when submitting a response (just like this one), it would fail with a wifi error. Kinda annoying when the carefully crafted text disappears. So I sometimes, as insurance, select the response and copy it before pressing Post. One time, my knuckle brushed a letter on the keyboard thus replacing the selected text with a random letter before it was copied. LOL not.
    04-02-12 04:43 PM
    Didn't read all the posts in this thread. Just wanted to let you know I had a 16gb that kept dropping my wifi frequently (at least once a day). Read in these forums that some have wifi radio issue, in other words a hardware defect.

Exhanged it for a 32gb since I found I was running out of room fast. Hasn't gone down once in the 2 weeks I've had it. Didn't have to make any changes to my router settings.

Interesting thing is that when I would charge my original PB overnight, the following morning the battery level read 99%, never seen it at 100. Just a minor thing but since I got my new one it shows 100% at full charge so maybe the 16gb had more than one hardware defect.
    04-02-12 06:36 PM
    While that is a terrific suggestion for home use where the owner has control of the router, this will not work well, in office, hotel, airport situations. In those latter situations you canNOT casually tamper with someone else's router.
    Wasting your breath man!
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-02-12 08:41 PM
    yes, the problem is slow internet speed
    my wifi speed is only 3Mbps
    so when my laptop is down/uploading something, anything else become really slow (even opening google in laptop)
    and it affect my PB too

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 08:59 PM
    The solution to this problem of losing your Wi-Fi connection is very simple. Make sure your "Select a Network" choice is set to "Saved Networks" in the drop-down box of the the WiFi screen. In this way, your PB won't be continuously scanning for a network to use.
    04-02-12 09:08 PM
    My wifi was dropping like crazy this past week. At first I thought it was my PB but then the wifi started dropping on other devices as well (our xbox live, laptops, etc) Turned out to be a Verizon Fios issue. Our router crapped out. Thankfully I've been able to bridge my PB to my Bold the past few days we've been without wifi. Hooray RIM!
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-02-12 11:20 PM
    I know of folks who have had wi-fi issues...all live in remote areas of their respective geographic location. The several I know who live in Calais, Maine, where the Canadian border is just a stone's throw away, wi-fi is nearly unobtainable at home, but readily available at the local hospital; I suspect much has to do with the type of equipment one deploys. I suppose if one lives significantly north of the 49th parallel, that wi-fi can be a challenge to most home users.

lmao..why would that have any bearing?? You think Canadians have no wifi??
    04-03-12 12:43 AM
    Thanks to everybody who contributed with answers on how to fix the PB and not on how to mess with other people`s or corporate routers.

Unfortunately for me nothing worked: Deleting profiles, setting up everything manually; erase everything and reinstall system etc. RIM support was also not really helpful.

To the person who said that Blackberry phones might cause the problems: Unfortunately there are lots around me and there is nothing I can do to change that

I convinced IT to try to toy around with it, so lets see what happens. But I think I will have to RMA it. Although a quick google search shows that loads of PB users have trouble with WPA2 encrypted networks I am not too hopeful though that a new device will fix it.
    04-03-12 04:30 AM
    So it's a work related wi-fi issue, an IT issue, and not a home issue. Well, there you have it....don't want to contact IT, then it's on you, not a PlayBook, BlackBerry, or RIM issue.
    This doesn't even make sense. Why should he/she have to contact IT just so they can satisfy the PlayBook's shortcomings? The PlayBook already isn't doing well and some good it will be having to tell IT departments to compromise their security settings or inconvenience entire office buildings just so the already unpopular PlayBook can work.
    I love my PlayBook but it definitely is a RIM issue that needs to be fixed asap.

I had the same issue as far back as version 1.7 and i can tell you for sure that resetting the router does not always fix the issue so contacting the IT dept is a moot point. I tried other suggestions as well ie deleting router profiles on both PB and bridged BB, changing my security settings on my router, enabling Ipv6 on the PB even getting a new router.

None of those fixes worked for more than a few days at most and the only thing that seemed to rectify it was to do a security wipe and start the PB setup from scratch.

Thankfully since the official release of 2.0 (knock on wood) i have not had any wifi issues.
    04-03-12 08:35 AM
    Didn't the OP finally say it's an issue with wifi file sharing and not a wifi connection issue with a network?
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-03-12 08:38 AM
    Didn't the OP finally say it's an issue with wifi file sharing and not a wifi connection issue with a network?
    OP's last post (just couple of posts above) says he will likely RMA it but not expecting it be fixed through RMA. Regardless, I'd like to see what comes out of it.
    04-03-12 08:46 AM
    +1, the same problem :-(
    Nothing described above helps...
    How do I have a RMA?

Thanks
    04-03-12 10:14 AM
    My PB's Wi-Fi setting for the "Select a Network" choice was originally set to "Available Networks" and my Wi-Fi connection wasn't working right. After it locked in to one of the wireless routers nearby, the PB would retain the signal for a few seconds and then it would disengage to try to find another signal.

JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, PAY ATTENTION. HERE'S HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM:

The solution to this problem of losing your Wi-Fi connection is very simple. Make sure your "Select a Network" choice is set to "Saved Networks" in the drop-down box of the the WiFi screen. In this way, your PB won't be continuously scanning for a network to use.

NOW STOP COMPLAINING AND GO FIX YOUR PB.
    louzer likes this.
    04-03-12 10:45 AM
    Make sure your "Select a Network" choice is set to "Saved Networks" in the drop-down box of the the WiFi screen.
    Stockmetadata, it IS set to 'saved networks'.
    And it doesn't help for long. Just a few clicks after wifi restart - and fozen again.
    04-03-12 11:06 AM
    ju79,

1 - Go to your PB's Wi-Fi settings and delete all routers from the list.
    2 - Power off all wireless routers
    3 - Power on one wireless router
    4 - Go to your PB's Wi-Fi settings and change "Wi-Fi Connectivity" selection to "Off"
    5 - Go to your PB's Wi-Fi settings and change "Wi-Fi Connectivity" selection to "On"
    6 - Go to your PB's Wi-Fi setting for the "Select a Network" choice and set it to "Available Networks"
    7 - Your wireless router ID should now appear
    8 - Enter your WEP password and then click the "Connect" button
    9 - You should now be connected to your Wi-Fi network
    10 - Now set your "Select a Network" choice to "Saved Networks" in the drop-down box of the the WiFi screen.
    11- If you have other wireless routers that you wish to use, first power-on that router and then repeat steps 6 to 10 for that router.
    04-03-12 11:36 AM
    I did exactly as you suggested. Number of times. It always fails: sooner or later, avg is 5 page reloads.
    I did not restart the router since I'm not allowed to do this at work. This is a WPA2 network.

Another Wpa2 network at home works perfect... Puzzled...
    04-03-12 11:51 AM
    My PB's Wi-Fi setting for the "Select a Network" choice was originally set to "Available Networks" and my Wi-Fi connection wasn't working right. After it locked in to one of the wireless routers nearby, the PB would retain the signal for a few seconds and then it would disengage to try to find another signal.

JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT, PAY ATTENTION. HERE'S HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM:

IT DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. There appears to be more than one type of problems, but this method does not fix OP's or my problem.
    04-03-12 11:53 AM
    lmao..why would that have any bearing?? You think Canadians have no wifi??
    Doesn't that imply Canadians have electricity? do they?
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-03-12 11:57 AM
158 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD