That actually works? Which phone are using?
    I tried to connect the PB with Nokia, Samsung, iPhone Wifi Hotspots but it would not connect or even find the Wifi.

BT tethering works just fine though...
    really?? maybe your SSID is turned off. My brothers Atrix shows up fine.
    04-12-12 07:00 AM
    I agree but as an average person who knows nothing about the complexity of an OS I do know that one fix may create another bug elsewhere that needs to be tracked down.
    QNX is a micro-kernel-based operating system which means a change in one subsystem will not affect another subsystem. The kernel is very small and reserved strictly for core functionality (hardware interface, process scheduling, low-level programming API, etc.) leaving file system, user interface, networking, etc. for subsystems running outside the kernel. For example, if Research In Motion added support for the DECnet protocol there would be no impact on the process scheduler (kernel) nor the BlackBerry Bridge or Twitter.
    04-12-12 07:16 AM
    Thanks I will try, but would that mean that I have to do this every day, or everytime I switch between wifi access points?
    Nope. There are several WiFi profiles on my BlackBerry PlayBook covering home, home office, workplace, public hotspots, MiFi, etc. and the tablet seamlessly reconnects to each as appropriate or as explicitly selected unless the associated password changed but I had not updated it on the tablet. The last WiFi issue was sometime before OS 1.0.7 or 1.0.8. I guarantee 99% is reported WiFi problems could be resolved with a modicum of basic troubleshooting.
    04-12-12 07:26 AM
    So I have to respond, I originally reported that I had no wifi issues what so ever, but recently I have been staying in a hotel a lot for work. Holiday Inn Express in Calgary.

My wifi works every I go, and I do mean everywhere it has never not connected, except now in this hotel. I have tried everything, turning of bluetooth, being bridged, not being bridged, deleting and recreating the profile, IPV6 setting, frequency, everything, I have spent countless hours trying stuff. And please before someone says I don't know what I am doing, I support and manage teams that support multi-million dollar IT network installations. I have tried everything I know of to make it work.

It works and then it doesn't, it will work for 20 seconds sometimes, enough to get the splash page from the hotel and then the only way to start is to turn wifi on and off, sometimes I get an hour out of it, sometimes, nothing.

Yet my phone works perfectly every time, my laptop has no problems, single strength is fine, through out the hotel.
    04-12-12 09:04 AM
    So I have to respond, I originally reported that I had no wifi issues what so ever, but recently I have been staying in a hotel a lot for work. Holiday Inn Express in Calgary.

My wifi works every I go, and I do mean everywhere it has never not connected, except now in this hotel. I have tried everything, turning of bluetooth, being bridged, not being bridged, deleting and recreating the profile, IPV6 setting, frequency, everything, I have spent countless hours trying stuff. And please before someone says I don't know what I am doing, I support and manage teams that support multi-million dollar IT network installations. I have tried everything I know of to make it work.

It works and then it doesn't, it will work for 20 seconds sometimes, enough to get the splash page from the hotel and then the only way to start is to turn wifi on and off, sometimes I get an hour out of it, sometimes, nothing.

Yet my phone works perfectly every time, my laptop has no problems, single strength is fine, through out the hotel.
    I share your pain..
    04-12-12 09:52 AM
    Nope. There are several WiFi profiles on my BlackBerry PlayBook covering home, home office, workplace, public hotspots, MiFi, etc. and the tablet seamlessly reconnects to each as appropriate or as explicitly selected unless the associated password changed but I had not updated it on the tablet. The last WiFi issue was sometime before OS 1.0.7 or 1.0.8. I guarantee 99% is reported WiFi problems could be resolved with a modicum of basic troubleshooting.
    I will say the problem I'm having and many others on this thread does not fall into that 99%.

All PB users I know (~6 around me) at work are having exactly the same problem too, so it's not hardware issue. RMA will not fix it.
    04-12-12 09:55 AM
    Has anybody tried BlackBerry Support? Hopefully a fix / update can come of it.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    04-12-12 03:57 PM
    It seems to be a problem with the login screen negotiation process on some wifi hot spots. I had a bunch of trouble on my vacation. Many hot spots had login screens and passwords...etc. The Playbook simply could not deal with it and disconnected.

I just tried mine at a local Starbucks (Bell Hotspot)...no login password just an "accept the terms screen" and it worked perfectly. I also connected to the local Home Depot's 'public wifi". While it was a bit sketchy connecting and navigating to the "accept the terms" screen, it did work. (i don't know...didn't know... that HD had public wifi or why they have it?)...I was near by and noticed it.

Anyway, I'm not that versed on protocall for internet logins on secure networks, but since the latest OS upgrade, the PB has lost the ability to consistently handle logins via a webpage. Up till then I connected fine everywhere.

Examples Pearson (Toronto) Airport wifi, various hotels, cruise ship wifi. All have login screens Pearson does not have a password since it's free.
    04-12-12 05:11 PM
    I really hate when that happens dont know if its software or hardware!
    Last edited by soren203; 04-12-12 at 05:14 PM. Reason: W00t 500posts!
    04-12-12 05:14 PM
    Well, I must say I experienced some troubles with public hotspots.
    The way I solved this was to go to settings/wifi, drop down to "Saved Networks" hit the pencil and delete (trash) the previously saved ones.
    I guess that if your first attempt is unsuccessful, then wrong parameters are stored and you can't get rid of it, which is problematic (yet, I have the same problem on my home W7 workstation if I change some essential settings on my router).
    I agree this is very annoying, but it may worse a try when you're sticked in the middle of nowhere. Alternatively, those who have a BB phone may consider pairing it to wifi and the use bridge.

P.S: In hotel typical situation, please remember you need as many "pass" than you have devices. If you pair your phone, then your tablet ... fail is guaranteed.
    04-12-12 05:26 PM
    Switch to G only.
    04-12-12 05:28 PM
    I had the wifi disconnecting here at home with my PlayBook. Not sure if this will work for you but give it a try. unless you've already tried it. it worked like a charm for me.

Install a software called inSSIDer on a laptop with wifi card. Run the software, it'll start showing you wifi broadcasts around your place. Make sure you want around the different sides of the house if you have neighbours on both sides.

Look at the channels they're broadcasting from and set your Router's wifi channel to one that no other wifi broadcast is using. If your router is a dual 2.4Ghz/5G.0 router, then just change it on the 2.4Ghz.

also set your Channel Width to 20Mhz only, not Auto. I found having it on Auto

Reboot your PB and see if your wifi connection is any better.

Good luck and hope it helps

once you've setup your Wifi channel
    04-12-12 05:58 PM
    I had the wifi disconnecting here at home with my PlayBook. Not sure if this will work for you but give it a try. unless you've already tried it. it worked like a charm for me.

Install a software called inSSIDer on a laptop with wifi card. Run the software, it'll start showing you wifi broadcasts around your place. Make sure you want around the different sides of the house if you have neighbours on both sides.

Look at the channels they're broadcasting from and set your Router's wifi channel to one that no other wifi broadcast is using. If your router is a dual 2.4Ghz/5G.0 router, then just change it on the 2.4Ghz.

also set your Channel Width to 20Mhz only, not Auto. I found having it on Auto

Reboot your PB and see if your wifi connection is any better.

Good luck and hope it helps

once you've setup your Wifi channel
    Thanks but this is not usually a home router issue. My router is N/G and the signal strength varies around the house. PB connects fine and never drops out. It is password protected, so it's saved. In any event when one connects to a home wifi, they are not redirected to a login HTML web page.

THIS IS A PUBLIC/SECURE WIFI CONNECTION ISSUE CAUSED BY LOGIN PROTOCAL NOT BEING UNDERSTOOD BY PLAYBOOK!

...and RIM need so fix it.
    04-12-12 06:57 PM
    Thanks but this is not usually a home router issue. My router is N/G and the signal strength varies around the house. PB connects fine and never drops out. It is password protected, so it's saved. In any event when one connects to a home wifi, they are not redirected to a login HTML web page.

THIS IS A PUBLIC/SECURE WIFI CONNECTION ISSUE CAUSED BY LOGIN PROTOCAL NOT BEING UNDERSTOOD BY PLAYBOOK!

...and RIM need so fix it.
    Which Wireless router do you use at home?
    04-12-12 07:37 PM
    Which Wireless router do you use at home?
    Linksys E3200
    04-12-12 08:00 PM
    I don't believe the user is having trouble at home but at wifi "cafes" or the like.
    04-12-12 09:03 PM
    I don't believe the user is having trouble at home but at wifi "cafes" or the like.
    Exactly...but I guarante someone will still post yet another.."'my wifi at home works fine"

Like beating our heads against a wall...lol
    04-12-12 09:11 PM
    Yes, called them today. They had me wipe the playbook and then reinstall OS 2. So far the wifi is working like it used to with no problems. They claim it was related to the original upgrade to OS 2.
    04-12-12 09:18 PM
    Oh.. Sorry guys. I didn't realize it wasn't a home router issue.
    04-12-12 09:22 PM
    I had an issue while traveling with my PB - was on a tropical island called boracay in the Philippines and felt like real tool when I couldn't connect to the free caffe network and every one else could with there andriod phones and tablets. The playbook had decided that it was a hidden network and I was lucky if it acknowledged it all let alone connected to it. After quite a few hours of dicking around doing with it I finally managed to connect. I was kinda pissed of though when every one else that walked in typed in the password and away they when, wasn't quite that easy for me!
    absoultely likes this.
    04-12-12 09:23 PM
    Erased post sorry for bumping
    Last edited by darktoy; 04-12-12 at 09:42 PM.
    04-12-12 09:31 PM
    Not sure if you have resolved your wifi issues. I have similar situation happened to me. My playbook connect to wifi fine, but it is the z10 that keep dropping. I had to reset my router every time z10 was dropped.

I have a Dir 615.

In z10 I set Band type to 2.4Hz. In the router I specificly "reserved" 1 port for playbook and 1 port for z10. This worked for me.

GL

I know that there are already other threads out there and apparently a ton of people have the same problem. Also I recognize there are also people out there who do not have a problem.

My Wifi problems got worse by the week. I am now at a point where in 95% of all tries wifi shows as connected but in fact is not. Nothing is loading. I have to turn off and on wifi several times before something loads actually. Sometimes I have to reboot.

This is completely unacceptable. I love the Playbook for many reasons, but by now it is nearly unuesable for me.

RIM, FIX THIS F/()$%()/ PROBLEM! I am so annoyed that they do not care in the least about this problem which is known to them forever!

I have to use my Playbook in corporate networks and hotels. If they use WPS2 settings, I cannot make them change it. If they use dynamic IPs I cannot change it.

Every $%/)(= device in the world is WPS2 compatible so RIM should finally sit on their sorry asses and fix this. No other device that I ever had - and I have used lots of phones, laptops and tablets - had problems like this. It is solely RIMs fault, period.

Sorry for this outburst, but I am really extremely pissed off by now.
    03-26-13 04:28 PM
    The periodic drops have been present since OS 2.1.0.1526, it can be easily demonstrated by leaving an active SSH or telnet session open with a keepalive to the playbook. After an indeterminate time, the application will show a software error due to the OS spontaneously resetting the active WiFi session. The OP should submit a trouble report at '[email protected]', otherwise they have a tendency to never fix problems unless pestered to death. I am speaking from experience.
    03-26-13 05:51 PM
    So far so good. Deleted all network profiles on PB and Torch except home profile (there were about 30!), made sure wifi was set to saved networks on PB, and ticked ipv6 on home profile. Had I champagne I would pop a bottle open, for I could watch 3 4-minute HD videos in a row, and they ran continuously, without hesitations. Wout wout!

Still, why do I have the feeling that this is too good to be true, and will not last?

I really hope the new PB I'm expecting in the mail will be trouble-free...
    03-26-13 09:41 PM
    Update: wifi still running so nicely!

I can't believe I waited so long to solve this issue.

Deleting all these saved network connections seems to have done the trick. Plus ipv6, but don't know if that one had an effect.

My PB detects networks poorly compared to my Torch and my laptop, but I got used to it needing to be closer to the router. It has stopped disconnecting constantly from the network, that's what's important, and it's gotten to be powerful enough to load videos from Youtube and vimeo, which it couldn't do a week ago...

Yeah!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-30-13 11:31 PM
158 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD