I know that there are already other threads out there and apparently a ton of people have the same problem. Also I recognize there are also people out there who do not have a problem.

My Wifi problems got worse by the week. I am now at a point where in 95% of all tries wifi shows as connected but in fact is not. Nothing is loading. I have to turn off and on wifi several times before something loads actually. Sometimes I have to reboot.

This is completely unacceptable. I love the Playbook for many reasons, but by now it is nearly unuesable for me.

RIM, FIX THIS F/()$%()/ PROBLEM! I am so annoyed that they do not care in the least about this problem which is known to them forever!

I have to use my Playbook in corporate networks and hotels. If they use WPS2 settings, I cannot make them change it. If they use dynamic IPs I cannot change it.

Every $%/)(= device in the world is WPS2 compatible so RIM should finally sit on their sorry asses and fix this. No other device that I ever had - and I have used lots of phones, laptops and tablets - had problems like this. It is solely RIMs fault, period.

Sorry for this outburst, but I am really extremely pissed off by now.
    Gouk likes this.
    04-02-12 05:10 AM
    Reset your router. Turn it off for a couple minutes, turn it back on.
    Fubaz likes this.
    04-02-12 05:57 AM
    Delete your WIFI profiles on your Playbook, and then recreate them. There was a forum post on here before how deleting all the profiles and then recreating them helped the WiFi issue and I believe the browser crashing.
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 04-02-12 at 06:05 AM.
    Fubaz likes this.
    04-02-12 06:00 AM
    Is this a hardware or software issue?
    04-02-12 06:26 AM
    Been awhile since I've seen complaints about wifi other than at work or at school.
    04-02-12 06:29 AM
    Reset your router. Turn it off for a couple minutes, turn it back on.
    Thanks for the well meant advice, but I use my PB for work it is virtually impossible to call our IT dept. or the IT dept. of my clients or hotel management and ask them to reset the router just for me.
    04-02-12 06:31 AM
    Delete your WIFI profiles on your Playbook, and then recreate them. There was a forum post on here before how deleting all the profiles and then recreating them helped the WiFi issue and I believe the browser crashing.
    Thanks I will try, but would that mean that I have to do this every day, or everytime I switch between wifi access points?
    04-02-12 06:32 AM
    Thanks I will try, but would that mean that I have to do this every day, or everytime I switch between wifi access points?
    It usually was related to OS updates. If you have any problems after an update deleting the wifi profile is the first thing to try. After that the next thing to try is a backup, security wipe, debrick and restore.

Keep in mind that if you bridge with a phone, the wifi profiles are copied from the phone, so you may want to delete a troublesome profile on the phone too before bridging again.
    04-02-12 06:53 AM
    Thanks for the well meant advice, but I use my PB for work it is virtually impossible to call our IT dept. or the IT dept. of my clients or hotel management and ask them to reset the router just for me.
    So it's a work related wi-fi issue, an IT issue, and not a home issue. Well, there you have it....don't want to contact IT, then it's on you, not a PlayBook, BlackBerry, or RIM issue.
    04-02-12 07:29 AM
    Been awhile since I've seen complaints about wifi other than at work or at school.
    That may be because people have seen lots of posts about it already and are expecting RIM to FIX it. You know.. no point in making several more posts about the same thing.

Every time I go through App world there's always one or two pages that won't load or an app that won't download or browsing global news stories and they won't appear or http stuff where there's frequent times it won't load and you get that requester saying no wifi connection please try again.

IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

p.s. I've gone through the fixes and the problem continues to reoccur.
    04-02-12 07:31 AM
    I have the same problem constantly and I'm pretty sure it's a router issue. BUT there are 9 or10 other devices that handle it fine. It's obvious to me that RIM could do better with WiFi connections.
    04-02-12 07:37 AM
    I know of folks who have had wi-fi issues...all live in remote areas of their respective geographic location. The several I know who live in Calais, Maine, where the Canadian border is just a stone's throw away, wi-fi is nearly unobtainable at home, but readily available at the local hospital; I suspect much has to do with the type of equipment one deploys. I suppose if one lives significantly north of the 49th parallel, that wi-fi can be a challenge to most home users.
    04-02-12 07:39 AM
    That may be because people have seen lots of posts about it already and are expecting RIM to FIX it. You know.. no point in making several more posts about the same thing.

Every time I go through App world there's always one or two pages that won't load or an app that won't download or browsing global news stories and they won't appear or http stuff where there's frequent times it won't load and you get that requester saying no wifi connection please try again.

IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

p.s. I've gone through the fixes and the problem continues to reoccur.
    Sorry I didn't realize that people have quit posting daily about it and starting new threads about it daily and have just all of a sudden decided to just wait and shut up.

I'm one of the lucky ones that have never had an issue with my wifi dropping no matter where connected. I do get the browser poof from time to time.
    04-02-12 07:40 AM
    And my connection dropped out while I was writing message above. This is with max signal strength 15 feet from router. Turn connection off and on again and it's back to good.
    04-02-12 07:43 AM
    I'm on the same boat with OP. My Wifi is fine everywhere else, except work. Of course, I've contacted IT, but it's difficult to win an argument with IT when Wifi works with every device except PB, which happened to be one that isn't officially supported by the company. Our IT support is in India, all sites are supposed to be using the same equipment - US, Canada, India, China, etc.

There's definitely something odd about this issue. Wifi signal indicator usually shows full strength, so the traffic is being blocked by something - probably security related. I suspect there could be an issue with WPA2 enterprise security support. OP, is that also what you use?

I've given up using any remote desktop applications at work, and usually just turn off/on Wifi once the connection stops. That is my current workaround and it is one that's holding me back from being able to utilize PB more at work.
    Whackhead likes this.
    04-02-12 07:51 AM
    I know of folks who have had wi-fi issues...all live in remote areas of their respective geographic location. The several I know who live in Calais, Maine, where the Canadian border is just a stone's throw away, wi-fi is nearly unobtainable at home, but readily available at the local hospital; I suspect much has to do with the type of equipment one deploys. I suppose if one lives significantly north of the 49th parallel, that wi-fi can be a challenge to most home users.
    Brilliant post! My igloo has perfect wifi in winter, but lousy in summer when it melts. I'm selling as much whale meat as i can to buy a new one though.

Oh...I guess that hotel I was at in Miami...the one where my PB kept dropping signal, was too close to the border too.

OP...ignore the suggestions to reboot the wifi...it's not only impractical in a public place, but silly.

This is a RIM issue and they better fix it.
    04-02-12 08:23 AM
    Sorry about your WiFi issue. My home wifi was originally very poor and would hang with full bars upto 20 times per day. Not just playbook but everythng else accessing it as well. I reconfigured it by switching the DNS to a different free one. Since changing this the router has hung once in the last three months!

The Rogers (spit!) default DNSs were brutal and a known issue but Rogers (spit!) will never tell you this. Thank you random guy posting in an wireless internet support blog!
    04-02-12 08:33 AM
    Guys, I came online to check the wifi issue. I am now constantly getting dropped from my home wifi and not one other device in my home has this problem. This is a RIM issue, it is not an issue of the routers. Please dont go into the issue of how WE are to solve the problem. No manufacturer can expect someone to purchase a product and then expect the buyer to have the technical proficiency necessary to make the product work as it should. This is completely ridiculous. The PB has a bug in its system that makes it drop some of the wifi signals under certain circumstances probably with certain routers or router software. This is simply unacceptable. I have bought 3 PBs and now I am feeling the one I use at home is completely worthless because it is constantly disconnecting from my wifi. Sure I probably can figure out a fix, but should it be necessary? NO, it should not. Sure, I certainly appreciate the solutions that people suggest and I can, with some technical ability, figure out how to get around the problem. But what about my mother for instance. Should she have to come on to Crackberry to find a solution that is beyond her ability to implement anyhow? No, she should not.

In the meantime, I will be installing a new wifi router into my home. It will probably fix the problem, but that is not the point. The point is that it is this type of problem that causes products like the PB to not be accept by the general public. Apple's genius is making product that the public can use.

Thank you for your ear on this issue.
    Gouk likes this.
    04-02-12 08:42 AM
    OP is right, in my university the playbook doesn't want to connect to eduroam. All other devices like My bb9900 and ipod touch do connect....incl. Ipads of friends
    04-02-12 08:43 AM
    Two wrongs do NOT make it right. And I have two Ipads that work perfectly in my home. So, do I go back to using Ipads? I dont want to. I simply want my PB to work the way one would expect. Tis all I ask.
    Gouk likes this.
    04-02-12 08:54 AM
    Everyone with this Wifi drop issues, especially OP. Try this ..

Resolving PlayBook Wifi Issues | emtunc's Blog

Actually, this is not new information. It has been suggested number of times on various posts I believe. However, the significant part is the first step here.

Delete all your saved wireless networks from the PlayBook

and this is the key I believe.

Right now, I have just one wifi profile saved, my work wifi. So far Splashtop did not drop for 30 min. While this is hardly a proof that things are working, the longest it went without dropping connection was 8 min before.

You may not even need to manually enter the profile details, but I did it anyway. IPV6 probably won't make a difference, the default settings should be fine.

My suspicion is that PB is mixing up wifi profile. This was actually discovered while entering wifi profile, and using "save and connect". Time to time when working on the wifi profile for office, my home profile would show up and says cannot connect or incorrect whatever. It's weird but if that's what's happening, the whole thing makes sense.

If this solves everyone's problem, it's definitely PB's issue RIM needs to address.
    04-02-12 09:02 AM
    Never said 2 wrongs make a right and just showing it isn't the only thing having issues. Yes they need to fix whatever is causing issues for some. There seem to a lot more without issue than there are with. You only see more about the ones with issues because they have a problem.

When I first got win7 I ended up buying anew router because my old one was too old and wouldn't work with it.
    04-02-12 09:05 AM
    Never said 2 wrongs make a right and just showing it isn't the only thing having issues. Yes they need to fix whatever is causing issues for some. There seem to a lot more without issue than there are with. You only see more about the ones with issues because they have a problem.

When I first got win7 I ended up buying anew router because my old one was too old and wouldn't work with it.
    You must understand this wifi issue with PB is rather unique. It happens while the signal is very strong, and without actual connection issues. Instead of linking BING shortcuts to iPad wifi issues, I'd like to see solutions/suggestions to the problem on hand.

Once this problem is resolved, the remaining issues would look similar to the iPad wifi issues your link points to.

Your router issue with Win7 doesn't sound like an issue though. You could have kept the old one... or Perhaps Win7 doesn't support WEP while the old router only supports WEP?
    04-02-12 09:11 AM
    Mine sucks too. I have two routers both work fine with my bb and my sister's iphone and all my laptops but not my frigging PB! Just that I haven't complained. Well until now. I'm keeping my eyes on here.
    04-02-12 09:13 AM
    EDIT: I'm sorry I only read the first page and didn't see the 2nd. Therefore my comment made no sense.
    04-02-12 09:21 AM
158 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD