Do you think, (and I'm really only thinking out loud here, so please don't flame me too much...) that those of us (and I include myself in this) that think the PlayBook is better than other offerings out there have not really used anything else, and so don't know what they are missing. I love my PlayBook, and think it is great, but I've never owned another tablet, so I don't really have much of a basis for comparison...
    Are there many people out there that have used other tablets (especially iPads), and still think the PB is the best?

I'm not trying to start a row here (though I suppose I probably will). I just wonder if I'd be suprised at how good an iPad or (decent)Android tablet would be if I actually bought one. Or would I still think my PB was better...??
    You have to concede that "better" is a personal opinion and it is colored by what you are used to. What is "better" has a multitude of aspects but they must be important to you. For me, I like the PB OS, screen resolution, HDMI out, and speakers. I have a dual core and quad core android device. The quad core device has better hardware than the PB but I still prefer the PB so I think it is "better". The screen transitions are still not as fluid as the PB and the high screen resolution looks a bit "cold" and "grainy" for me. Others may like the crispness. The only real advantage I see with android is the apps selection as I don't tend to sideload android on my PB. You'd probably like an iOS device if you don't mind a restricted locked down file system device with no flash capability. It is just not for me and I would never say that iOS was "better" than the PB. OP has a right to his opinion and he's got it right as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 10-24-13 at 08:19 AM.
    terminatorx likes this.
    10-24-13 08:06 AM
    I don't know how anyone other than a rabid fan can think this. No offense OP maybe it is to you but it certainly isn't for me.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    10-24-13 08:52 AM
    Do you think, (and I'm really only thinking out loud here, so please don't flame me too much...) that those of us (and I include myself in this) that think the PlayBook is better than other offerings out there have not really used anything else, and so don't know what they are missing. I love my PlayBook, and think it is great, but I've never owned another tablet, so I don't really have much of a basis for comparison...
    Are there many people out there that have used other tablets (especially iPads), and still think the PB is the best?

I'm not trying to start a row here (though I suppose I probably will). I just wonder if I'd be suprised at how good an iPad or (decent)Android tablet would be if I actually bought one. Or would I still think my PB was better...??
    I don't necesarily think the PlayBook is better than other offerings.

Clearly there's much that's subjective. I've never seen it's build quality matched. And as a reasonably late adopter of the PlayBook (first got on Sep 2012), it was great spec for the price.

For my personal preferences, I do find it hard to beat, because storage, video performance and media usage, plus HDMI out are very important to me. The browser performance could be better, and I suspect very much is on newer tablets, with more up-to-date spec. I had Android tablets for a good year before buying my first PlayBook, so have some comparison, plus there's several iPads in my extended family.

I miss a proper Kindle release for the PlayBook (I don't count the version people sideload, because it's useless to me - won't sync sideloaded books, as later versions and Kindle devices will), and Skype would be useful. But outside of that, I find the PlayBook very useful. I have 2 64G ones, I use interchangably, and daily. And I intend to continue using them daily until such time as either they fail, or I'm really tempted to open my metaphoric wallet to buy something newer.

I've said it before, though, and no doubt again - when I do move on fro the PlayBook, one significant thing I'll really miss, is the solidity and quality of the device and how it's built / put together. I've not seen anything comparable in other tablets.
    hreiner1 likes this.
    10-24-13 09:21 AM
    I've said it before, though, and no doubt again - when I do move on fro the PlayBook, one significant thing I'll really miss, is the solidity and quality of the device and how it's built / put together. I've not seen anything comparable in other tablets.
    This is true. I've picked up devices like the Nexus7 in tech-shops, and my first thought is that they feel a bit flimsy and plasticky. The Playbook feels like it's carved out of a solid lump of something.
    kbz1960, hreiner1 and neoberry99 like this.
    10-24-13 10:07 AM
    PlayBook, in my humble opinion, is the best 7 inch tablet out there. When Samsung just repackages their tab 2 7.0" into what is now a tab 3 7.0", and can't even hold a homepage, well, I must say, by today's standards, this alone makes for a ****ty tablet.

When you set your homepage to Google, on a PlayBook, then close every tab, it automatically reverts back to the homepage you made it to be.

On the Galaxy tab 3, when you close all tabs, you get an error which says "about blank"....great job Samsung. Total fail. Not to mention....the predictive keyboard plain sucks.

And that is your "modern" tablet for ya. PlayBook did it the way it was supposed to be...way back in 2011.

Now that's a tablet. Enough said.

Posted via CB10
    hreiner1 and neoberry99 like this.
    10-24-13 10:16 AM
    PlayBook did it the way it was supposed to be...way back in 2011.
    Well, they nearly did. I think the complaints about the Playbook ultimately being unfinished are valid. Launching without native email remains one of the stupidest decisions I have ever seen in this field.
    10-24-13 11:53 AM
    Well said...

Posted via CB10
    10-24-13 12:28 PM
    Well, they nearly did. I think the complaints about the Playbook ultimately being unfinished are valid. Launching without native email remains one of the stupidest decisions I have ever seen in this field.
    I don't think their long term plan was to not have email. It was just a timing issue. They did eventually come out with it, as well as introducing the BlackBerry Bridge feature.

In terms of the hardware, there is no doubt that the PB had amazing specs at the time it came out. I think RIM really pioneered the early adoption of the 7" form factor, as this was very new at the time. Remember all the criticism, not from just Apple but bloggers and the media. Look at the success of the 7-8" today, it's incredible.
    10-24-13 11:19 PM
    Did anybody do a feature by feature comparison with an IOS or Android tablet-preferably the latest? I'm really curious to see how the PB stacks up against them. For example, from my limited knowledge, the cameras on the PB are 3MP(Front) and 5MP(Rear), which is a better combo than that of the leading brand and yet people say the PB doesn't measure to it on that. Speakers, with the exception of the Kindle HD/HDX's Dolby, they are better IMHO...
    10-25-13 03:04 AM
    Did anybody do a feature by feature comparison with an IOS or Android tablet-preferably the latest? I'm really curious to see how the PB stacks up against them. For example, from my limited knowledge, the cameras on the PB are 3MP(Front) and 5MP(Rear), which is a better combo than that of the leading brand and yet people say the PB doesn't measure to it on that. Speakers, with the exception of the Kindle HD/HDX's Dolby, they are better IMHO...
    Again, though, context matters. Depending on what OS the tablet is running, and what people would expect to do with it, other people would care about CPU / SoC, and graphic chipset, amount of RAM. Then things like screen characteristics.

Clearly they are not all the be-all-and-end-all - because as an example, iPads typically seem to have a fair amount less RAM than Andriod counterparts.

For me personally, I'm largely ambivalent about the cameras in a tablet, it becomes more of a factor, though, for things like Skype support, which unfortunately is never going to happen for the PlayBook. Speakers for me are important (but wouldn't be for everybody) so yes, outside of the Kindle Fire HD (haven't really looked that closely to the HDX's spec), the PlayBook fairs well. HDMI out is quite important to me, too - so that's another key attribute.

Personally, I'm completely happy with the PlayBook's screen - but many who are techie orientated, see / rate tablets through online or magazine reviews, and on spec, first and foremost. Newer tablets are seeing advancement in things like resolution. All the same, I'm quite happy with use of the PlayBooks screen - I watch a fair bit of video on my 2. But then, on occasion, I'll also still use an aging Archos 705 WiFi which is more than a generation back in terms of screen resolution and capabilities.

To my mind, where the PlayBook shows it's age - for me at least - is the browser / performance. That's not to say it's useless - I just find in comparison to contemporary tablets, the browser performance (quite naturally) isn't as snappy as on newer devices. I still manage, though, and my main interest, tends to be portable media with a larger screen. My Z10 is perfectly snappy for web based stuff, although limited by it's screen size, so that's more of a communications device.

That's not me making excuses - I realise the PlayBook won't keep everybody happy, but for many, it won't be consigned to the bin, either - it's still qutie useful, and I've no current plans to move on, yet - firstly I want my money's worth - heavily discounted, or otherwise. And secondly, for most of what I do with them, I'm perfectly happy, I compromise on the other small proportion of things they either don't really do well, or I can do quicker on my Z10.
    10-25-13 03:21 AM
    The surface pro is much better than the pb. It can run real windows software. How does the playbook stack up against that? Even the first generation one?
    10-25-13 05:38 AM
    The surface pro is much better than the pb. It can run real windows software. How does the playbook stack up against that? Even the first generation one?
    I guess that comes down to whether somebody wants to run "real windows software" on their tablet. I've done very little looking into the Microsoft tablets - do they have HDMI out, front stereo speakers?

Some things are only saleable factors, if people actually want to use such features - not purely / merely because they are told they are, or will do.
    island par likes this.
    10-25-13 05:43 AM
    I must admit, the whole Surface idea appeals to me, as it can sync so well with PC. Of course, you could say that at �720 it damn well ought to be too. It ought to be head and shoulders above anything else on the market.
    10-25-13 06:15 AM
    I must admit, the whole Surface idea appeals to me, as it can sync so well with PC. Of course, you could say that at �720 it damn well ought to be too. It ought to be head and shoulders above anything else on the market.
    True but there are many win8, RT and pro tablets out there. The OP states the playbook is the best tablet, not even close.
    10-25-13 06:30 AM
    True but there are many win8, RT and pro tablets out there. The OP states the playbook is the best tablet, not even close.
    Sure - agree.
    10-25-13 06:45 AM
    I think some of us implicitly put some boundaries on the OP's definition of tablet. I was thinking $100-200 and 7" form factor. The Win 8 tablets are 8" at smallest and $500-700. While around $300, the RT is another beast (doesn't run real Windows software but does have a limited version of Office) and suffers from lack of apps as well. So they haven't exhibited the greatest uptake but I'll prolly get one at some time.
    Banco likes this.
    10-25-13 07:25 AM
    You already forgot how much was the price when it was release. how many first who paid that price still love it. The build quality is good but its useless. I don't know what to do with my playbook? I want to sell but the rubber seal on the edge bumps up with minimum usage.
    10-25-13 10:18 AM
    haahahaha the playbook wasn't the best tablet even the first day it came out!...it was ok for the price (only on firesale at that)
    now the Surface blows the playbook out of the water/ocean/space! lol but I do enjoy reading some of the replies in here...never fails to entertain me here lol
    10-25-13 03:03 PM
    Google Nexus 7 2013 > Playbook
    10-25-13 03:08 PM
    haahahaha the playbook wasn't the best tablet even the first day it came out!...it was ok for the price (only on firesale at that)
    now the Surface blows the playbook out of the water/ocean/space! lol but I do enjoy reading some of the replies in here...never fails to entertain me here lol
    And the new Surface puts your treasure to shame but it still doesn't run third party windows apps. With Microsoft persisting in the efforts in the Surface field I guess you did get the upgrade to Windows 8.1 and how is that doing? But I agree that BB PB is two plus year old technology however for some people it still might be the best tablet available. It might have been the best 7-8" tablet when it came out.
    10-25-13 04:14 PM
    Didn't you hear in five years the tablets will be a dead market. So why would a tablet maker want to try to make a better tablet?
    That's strange cause I heard that tablets are going to outsell PCs and laptops in the near future.
    10-25-13 09:43 PM
    That's strange cause I heard that tablets are going to outsell PCs and laptops in the near future.
    Come on Beaver! Your telling me that you didn't hear what Thor said about tablets. I was just being sarcastic. I love the PlayBook and use it everyday for most of the day. It is a great tablet especially when its bridged with my 9930.
    10-25-13 09:59 PM
    I have 6 PlayBook, however I wouldn't get another one now. I can get them for about $60 but I think I'll try a $150 or so Android next. Played around with a Samsung Tab for a week or so and while I prefer many things on the PlayBook, I find things like Netflix are nice on the tablet.

To me tablets are still mainly toys. My Q10 is my workhorse for browsing, communication, organization, music and that sort of thing.

Had the ipad mini hit the rumored $229 range, I would have been putting one in my long term budget. May look at a second hand option in a few months, although the z30 may be an option depending on my q10 resale value.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 11:44 PM
    Oh and for the whole tablets see dead comments, I'd love to have a tablet that was basically a big screen for my phone

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 11:45 PM
    And the new Surface puts your treasure to shame but it still doesn't run third party windows apps. With Microsoft persisting in the efforts in the Surface field I guess you did get the upgrade to Windows 8.1 and how is that doing? But I agree that BB PB is two plus year old technology however for some people it still might be the best tablet available. It might have been the best 7-8" tablet when it came out.
    yes that's why I am buying the new Surface 2 with the new improvements which MS is still supporting unlike BB, also as for 8.1 it is running very nice on my RT thank you for asking... and as for third party legacy apps, if I wanted that then I would have bought the pro for that! the Surface RT is perfect for my needs which runs like a 90% computer! have you even seen what the Surface RT can do? it can stream to any smart tv wirelessly and about 90% of hardware can connect to it via the USB! I have a buddy who has connected his xbox Kinect to the RT and scanned an object afterwhich he printed the object on his 3D printer! lets see the playbook do that or ipad or android! I was floored when he showed me that!
    hreiner1 likes this.
    10-26-13 01:25 AM
112 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD