it is me or other companies still havent caught up to the playbook? apple just announced *yawn* ipad that does the same thing but a little thinner. they took a couple of things from playbook but still can't compete with it. when they have real mult task and run real website wake me up.

2014 is coming up and still no tablet can compete with the playbook. hopefully 2014 playbook 2 comes out and get even a bigger lead.
    10-22-13 03:05 PM
    it is me or other companies still havent caught up to the playbook? apple just announced *yawn* ipad that does the same thing but a little thinner. they took a couple of things from playbook but still can't compete with it. when they have real mult task and run real website wake me up.

2014 is coming up and still no tablet can compete with the playbook. hopefully 2014 playbook 2 comes out and get even a bigger lead.
    Didn't you hear in five years the tablets will be a dead market. So why would a tablet maker want to try to make a better tablet?
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    10-22-13 03:36 PM

Playbook 2 <<<<<<<<<<< now that's funny.

I'm still waiting for Playbook 1
    10-22-13 03:37 PM
    Oh, you didn't hear? BlackBerry PlayBook 1 was released in Canada and USA on April 19, 2011. You can pick one up at http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/keyw...bUvbUpU9382811.

Let us know if there is anything else you need to catch up on!
    dphjeff and castoridae like this.
    10-22-13 03:48 PM
    That is pretty funny that you think that.
    10-22-13 03:50 PM
    Well you said you were waiting. Guess you didn't get the news.
    10-22-13 03:56 PM
    I don't know about best......

Software is okay. Hardware in today's standard is terrible.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 03:57 PM
    I don't know about best......

Software is okay. Hardware in today's standard is terrible.

Posted via CB10
    Really? Screen is still adequate, and the iPad Mini before today was no better and nor was the processer. Speakers are still about the best out there. Not sure I'd remotely say it's still (or indeed ever was) the best tablet by any stretch, but that's a slightly odd line of attack when a 2 1/2 year old tablet still stands up pretty well on specs.
    Last edited by Banco; 10-22-13 at 05:57 PM.
    10-22-13 05:32 PM
    Possum.................
    FF22 likes this.
    10-22-13 05:39 PM
    It's just you.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:43 PM
    I think the development of tablet is less mature compare to phones. It seems fractured. Perhaps it's because it's less of a communication device. There's less coherent, coordination and corporation among users to shape it into a more uniform device. You see every company doing it's own thing. Each don't learn nor copy from the other.
    10-22-13 06:04 PM
    I think the development of tablet is less mature compare to phones. It seems fractured. Perhaps it's because it's less of a communication device. There's less coherent, coordination and corporation among users to shape it into a more uniform device. You see every company doing it's own thing. Each don't learn nor copy from the other.
    What I think is interesting at the moment is the rise of the cheap but decent tablet. In an entirely unintentional way, the Playbook was at the forefront of that - at least here in the UK. When the price dropped to �140 for the 64GB one, they started selling extremely well. PC World were reporting it as their best selling tablet, which is faintly astonishing, and it was outselling the iPad Mini here seemingly. Kindle Fires and Nexus iterations were of course part of the same thing - but in the last month or so we've seen Tesco (who are pretty dominant in retail - and apparently sold 35,000 in the first two days after release) launch the Hudl, which seems to be actually a pretty decent tablet for �120. That's got to be a concern to the likes of Apple, as it commoditises the whole tablet market. It's still growing of course, but the price differential is so huge, and for something that is only arguably better in the key areas in which casual users will be focusing on.
    Last edited by Banco; 10-22-13 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added sales figures
    10-22-13 06:13 PM
    The PlayBook could have been the best tablet but alas it was not to be. Another potentially great product fumbled in grand BlackBerry fashion. Still I love mine, just a little less since I found out I can't use it with NHL Game Center Live.
    Banco likes this.
    10-22-13 06:24 PM
    I bought and android tablet and do find myself coming back to my playbook more than I thought I would. I thought that the apps would he heaven but found out that the reason I always preferred blackberry in the first place was the vastly superior native software and features. Most of the things I want to do with an app I can do with flash, now origami fills a nice void there too. However when that fails I have a nice large screen Samsung tablet that I can bust out whenever I want. No harm there at all. I find its ideal for movies (netflix) and specific apps where there just is no solution on the Playbook.

I hope though that they do make a playbook upgrade, a real one, not the LTE variant, as I don't see myself using this forever.
    10-22-13 06:24 PM
    What I think is interesting at the moment is the rise of the cheap but decent tablet. In an entirely unintentional way, the Playbook was at the forefront of that - at least here in the UK. When the price dropped to �140 for the 64GB one, they started selling extremely well. PC World were reporting it as their best selling tablet, which is faintly astonishing, and it was outselling the iPad Mini here seemingly. Kindle Fires and Nexus iterations were of course part of the same thing - but in the last month or so we've seen Tesco (who are pretty dominant in retail - and apparently sold 35,000 in the first two days after release) launch the Hudl, which seems to be actually a pretty decent tablet for �120. That's got to be a concern to the likes of Apple, as it commoditises the whole tablet market. It's still growing of course, but the price differential is so huge, and for something that is only arguably better in the key areas in which casual users will be focusing on.
    LOL !! So you are saying playbook indeed is an ipad killer!! The price and the quality of playbook really spoil the market for Apple. LOL!!!
    cwalt2166 and castoridae like this.
    10-22-13 06:36 PM
    LOL !! So you are saying playbook indeed is an ipad killer!! The price and the quality of playbook really spoil the market for Apple. LOL!!!
    Ummmm not intentionally! I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Tesco noted how well it did when it became dirt cheap though. There have always been lots of cheap but crap tablets out there of course, but cheap and good ones? With all the power of the country's biggest retailer behind it? The dynamics of that fascinate me: It has SD card storage to take it up to 48GB total, which is adequate enough, and then ends up �300 cheaper than the equivalent iPad Mini - which certainly has a better screen, but �300 better? Not so sure.
    10-22-13 06:43 PM
    As an owner of 2 playbooks (32 and 64GB models) I am a BB fan at heart. I do however only give the PB 2 thumbs up in the picture and video categories. Apps has always been the primary factor in electronics such as phones, PCs and tablets. I have an iPad as well and do really like the onscreen keyboard as I can type better on the large size than the PB. Since I am missing a finger typing on the large size works best.

I just have to disagree (respectfully) on the PB being the best tablet. While it does perform some tasks well, overall it just does not deliver IMO.
    10-22-13 06:45 PM
    Sorry, but you are just wrong. It isn't even close by today's standards.
    cwalt2166 and look_alive like this.
    10-23-13 06:10 PM
    Well, I owned a Sony Xperia Z Tablet so I probably wouldn't agree on that...

But my PlayBook is still quite useful...

Posted via Z10
    10-23-13 11:43 PM
    Funny you bring it up. My brother just told me he and his wife use theirs daily. I was quite surprised. They both have Android phones.

The hardware is rather aged at this point. And the browser really needed the BB10 tech.

Nonetheless it is still a handy device.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-23-13 11:54 PM
    Talk about trolling (eyeroll).

The Playbook was/is great hardware for its time. Even if you don't care about the higher resolution screens that are becomming standard on tablets (Android and IOS), the rest of the hardware technology keeps getting better. Battery technology is improving, processors are not only more powerful, they are more energy efficient. Don't even get me started on software. The Playbook is missing more than half of my regularly used apps. I wish the Playbook had captured a bigger chunk of the market and developers were still creating apps for it. The truth is, even if that happened my current Playbook would still be relegated to being a web radio. The only difference is the replacement might have been a Playbook2.
    10-24-13 05:42 AM
    Playbook 2 <<<<<<<<<<< now that's funny.

Ohh, that's a little harsh!!
    Cynycl likes this.
    10-24-13 05:50 AM
    Do you think, (and I'm really only thinking out loud here, so please don't flame me too much...) that those of us (and I include myself in this) that think the PlayBook is better than other offerings out there have not really used anything else, and so don't know what they are missing. I love my PlayBook, and think it is great, but I've never owned another tablet, so I don't really have much of a basis for comparison...
    Are there many people out there that have used other tablets (especially iPads), and still think the PB is the best?

I'm not trying to start a row here (though I suppose I probably will). I just wonder if I'd be suprised at how good an iPad or (decent)Android tablet would be if I actually bought one. Or would I still think my PB was better...??
    Gooseberry Falls and Cynycl like this.
    10-24-13 05:56 AM
    Do you think, (and I'm really only thinking out loud here, so please don't flame me too much...) that those of us (and I include myself in this) that think the PlayBook is better than other offerings out there have not really used anything else, and so don't know what they are missing. I love my PlayBook, and think it is great, but I've never owned another tablet, so I don't really have much of a basis for comparison...
    Are there many people out there that have used other tablets (especially iPads), and still think the PB is the best?

I'm not trying to start a row here (though I suppose I probably will). I just wonder if I'd be suprised at how good an iPad or (decent)Android tablet would be if I actually bought one. Or would I still think my PB was better...??
    Well, like anything that's used regularly, you get used to it. Using something else would undoubtedly mean there are things about the Playbook that you would miss. My mother has an iPad 4, and the whole navigation of it drives me nuts, I keep wanting to use gestures and they're fairly limited. But the reality is that new ones are going to be better - it would be deeply peculiar if they weren't. The Playbook stands up pretty well for a 2 1/2 year old tablet, and arguably it stands up better than any other product from the same period, notwithstanding the flaws in it, and the lack of apps. It was future proofed to an extent by making the hardware so good for the time, but even if they'd got everything right at launch, it would still have been overtaken by now, and comfortably so. That's just normal.

What you can say is that it remains a perfectly useable device. And given its age, that's not bad.
    Gooseberry Falls and Cynycl like this.
    10-24-13 06:42 AM
    I got my Playbook in September 2011. I have used it every single day for many applications but also for its brilliant speakers and web browser. The multitasking is still brilliant and I can also go on sites like livetv.ru without needing any additional plugins that I normally would need on my computer. Also, what astounds me is the battery. Not a single sign of wear. It still lasts 10 hours with the screen on.

I will use it until it ceases to funcion and keep it with as a souvenir until I die.

I can't believe tablets will no longer be used in 5 years. I desire a Playbook 2!
    10-24-13 07:57 AM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD