I'm pulling my hair out over this!

All I want to do is get videos full screen without pinching and zooming and losing half the film and subtitles.

I don't care if the image is distorted a bit and people look 'thin'.

I cannot find anything anywhere on the internet that shows how to do this on the playbook. I've tried Handbrake, PavTube, Freemake etc etc and all give black bars on the top and bottom...even when I use the crop option.

Can anyone help?!
    06-11-12 05:53 PM
    Well you would have to use a crappy ripping program that would have an option to ruin the picture like that.

And by making it "fullscreen" you would still lose subtitles because you're cropping out the sides of the image to zoom it in.
    06-11-12 06:46 PM
    I'm not talking about cropping the image, i'm talking about copping the bars and stretching the image.

I've made some progress:

films that are 1.78.1 aspect ratio are easiest - they can be cropped and stretched no problem.

Films in 2.35.1 aspect ratio need to be ripped in the 'original' size (720*576) and stretched with no cap on the aspect ratio (all using pavtube). This gives an initial small picture on the PB that can be pinch zoomed but will not chop any sides off, and the quality is still good.

I have the last one to figure out, but i'm pretty much there. Still not ideal as I'd like things to just play full screen, but at least this way i get to use the whole screen for any movie, without losing any edges of the actual film
    06-11-12 07:07 PM
    Try downloading Next Video Converter (free program). Load your vid into the program, go into settings, and set the video size to 368 x 208. You'll lose some video quality, but it should go full screen.
    06-11-12 07:17 PM
    Cheers pacoman

My patience has been topped up after a bit of success tonight. If everything goes well i'll do a full guide on how to do this on Freemake, as there really isn't much out there on this (a lot of questions but not a lot of answers!). The images are looking good, not too much distortion.

I have been using Pavtube to do it, but i'm now trying similar settings on Freemake as it's free, so would be more helpful to most.
    06-11-12 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD