I used to read PDF magazine on iPad at home and eBook on iPhone on the go and recently I bought a PlayBook because the iPad is simply too heavy to carry.

And the disappointment comes:

1. eBook reading
    - There is no decent eBook reader for DRM-free eBook. Unlike the iOS version of Kobo, the pre-installed Kobo doesn't allow me to import my ePub collection.
    - PlayEpub is the best eBook reader app on PlayBook so far but the user experience is far worse than iBooks. not to mention the lack of built in dictionary like iBook or Kindle app

2. PDF Magazine reading
    - It's really painful to read on PlayBook. The pre-installed Adobe Reader simply sucks! It's slow, you can't have preview/thumbnail before you jump to a page.
    - The text rendered on PlayBook is really terrible! iPad did a great job, even a 3.5" iPhone 4 did a better job in displaying the PDF Magazine properly no matter what zoom level you are on.

Anyone knows if this is going to be better on OS 2.0 or only iOS is able to do this simply task perfectly in this universe?

If you don't have an iOS device, have a look at the following comparison.

PlayBook, iPad 2, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Eee Transformer, which tablet is the best for e-Books? | Pinoy Tech Blog - The Philippines' Longest-running Technology Blog
    01-27-12 02:23 AM
    i use and thoroughly enjoy "bookreader". i read every day. Great app and awesome customer support.
    xindy likes this.
    01-27-12 04:30 AM
    I have several ebook readers on the Playbook, and my favourite is "Book Reader". Really decent.

As for PDFs; no thumbnails, yes, but I've found the display to be really good.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-27-12 04:57 AM
    I would definitely appreciate a better PDF reader. Thumbnails would be nice and a page zoom that stays zoomed to page width. The text seems fine though. Crisp and clear for me.
    bbfan1040, jordandrews90 and xindy like this.
    01-27-12 06:14 AM
    I used to read PDF magazine on iPad at home and eBook on iPhone on the go and recently I bought a PlayBook because the iPad is simply too heavy to carry.

1. eBook reading
    - There is no decent eBook reader for DRM-free eBook. Unlike the iOS version of Kobo, the pre-installed Kobo doesn't allow me to import my ePub collection.
    - PlayEpub is the best eBook reader app on PlayBook so far but the user experience is far worse than iBooks. not to mention the lack of built in dictionary like iBook or Kindle app

2. PDF Magazine reading
    - It's really painful to read on PlayBook. The pre-installed Adobe Reader simply sucks! It's slow, you can't have preview/thumbnail before you jump to a page.
    - The text rendered on PlayBook is really terrible! iPad did a great job, even a 3.5" iPhone 4 did a better job in displaying the PDF Magazine properly no matter what zoom level you are on.

Anyone knows if this is going to be better on OS 2.0 or only iOS is able to do this simply task perfectly in this universe?

PlayBook, iPad 2, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Eee Transformer, which tablet is the best for e-Books? | Pinoy Tech Blog - The Philippines' Longest-running Technology Blog

I don't know that OS 2.0 will address the numerous issues you have with the PB; perhaps those devices that give you the user satisfaction that you have mentioned in great detail would be a better fit for you. Personally, I am more then satisfied with the Kobo app, and since I do not restrict my reading habits to just the PlayBook, I find reading from the several devices available to me give me the full spectrum of reading enjoyment.
    bbfan1040 and musical1806 like this.
    01-27-12 06:47 AM
    Book Reader works well for me. Small app fee. It finds any book files in your Playbook & let's you import them into Book Reader. You just need to copy book files into Playbook. Text is clear.
    There are a number of inexpensive book readers in PB apps to choose from.
    01-27-12 07:47 AM
    Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I quickly downloaded it and import my book and it broke my heart right away and it seems that I wasted $0.99. Maybe I'm too dumb? Where have the text on right gone??

Please help.
    Last edited by rc.simpsons; 01-27-12 at 08:59 AM.
    01-27-12 08:47 AM
    I've tried at least three different readers, including Play ePub and book reader. Unfortunately none are as polished (yet) as iBooks. That's not taking anything away from the efforts these guys are putting forth with the aforementioned apps.
    01-27-12 10:38 AM
    the epub lacking from kobo and the dumbed down pdf readers are indeed gaps that should be fixed on the PB. Hard to believe these points would not be a priority for RIM to help make the PB a more viable product.

I really like my PB and just want to see it get even better.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 01-27-12 at 11:37 AM. Reason: fix typo
    01-27-12 10:47 AM
    Book Reader was my main reader till i side loaded kindle on OS2 which work great. Also for your PDF's, repligo pdf reader side loaded works great too. Zinio is right around the corner with OS2 which should give you a wide selection of magazines (maybe not pdf mags), if reading is your thing, if you can wait for the OS2 release get the Kindle bar file and side load it, if you want it today, go beta, a bit of work but you know that kindle is good!!
    01-27-12 10:57 AM
    Thanks everyone for your kind advice. I quickly downloaded it and import my book and it broke my heart right away and it seems that I wasted $0.99. Maybe I'm too dumb? Where have the text on right gone??

Please help.
    There are settings within the app for margin adjustments, i attached some pictures to show you how good this app can look, you should also contact the developer if you need help.
    01-27-12 11:20 AM

1. eBook reading

2. PDF Magazine reading

I totally agree. The PDF Reader from Adobe is a serious embarrassment to RIM as a company and PB/QNX as a platform. No search, no bookmarks, no annotations. I really wish RIM would stop decking around and ensure there is a decent PDF Reader for PB.

As a user, I don't care if the fault lies with adobe or RIM. I lay 100% of the blame with RIM as they have made no effort to fix this serious issue. Talk to Adobe or develop code in-house.

The same argument applies to bookreading. Where is the promised Kindle reader. Don't blame it on Amazon, rather put some developers on the problem. These issue need fixed!

And yet RIM shows us a blackberry being used as a PB remote. Can we have some real apps? It worries me that RIM has not figured these problems. Key apps are essential.

K
    01-27-12 01:07 PM
    I tried many ebook readers and none are as polished as Kindle for Android which works fine on OS 2.0 beta including dictionary. Also, as a bonus you can side load DRM free ebooks you have.

I don't find PB a good device for Magazines though. The screen is too small to show the whole page. iPads are little better but the pixel density kills it as well. I need screen size that is comparable to real magazines with screens that is comparably good as well - probably newer iPads if it does have the Retina display or bigger Playbook will do the job for magazines.
    01-27-12 01:39 PM
    I like the sideloaded "gobook". It reads pdf and epub formats, as well as others (which I have not tried).
    01-27-12 01:45 PM
    I totally agree. The PDF Reader from Adobe is a serious embarrassment to RIM as a company and PB/QNX as a platform. No search, no bookmarks, no annotations. I really wish RIM would stop decking around and ensure there is a decent PDF Reader for PB.

As a user, I don't care if the fault lies with adobe or RIM. I lay 100% of the blame with RIM as they have made no effort to fix this serious issue. Talk to Adobe or develop code in-house.

The same argument applies to bookreading. Where is the promised Kindle reader. Don't blame it on Amazon, rather put some developers on the problem. These issue need fixed!

And yet RIM shows us a blackberry being used as a PB remote. Can we have some real apps? It worries me that RIM has not figured these problems. Key apps are essential.

K
    Perhaps things aren't as simple as you would like to make them out to be. I, personally, detest reading anything in PDF ... so Adobe's PDF reader isn't an issue for me. I use Distiller to create PDFs for business, but that's about all I use it for.

I read a lot ... and as a result would never use any LCD-based reader. It's very bad for your eyes.

Please note that BookReader is also a Kindle reader ... for whatever that is worth. I use Caliber to remove any DRM and side load to my dedicated reader ... which is E-ink ... and won't hurt your eyes.

Also note that what may be important to you or even me, may not be a priority in "the big picture".

If you are unhappy with the PB by all means go to another device. The membership here is always ready to help, but when people come on and blast RIM or the PB just to negatively compare it to some other device the reaction of the membership can be brittle.
    01-27-12 01:59 PM
    There are settings within the app for margin adjustments, i attached some pictures to show you how good this app can look, you should also contact the developer if you need help.
    Thanks PanaSama, I did try very hard changing font, font size, line height and some other books. Some books dot have such problem but the rest is just the same.

I'll keep trying because I really love my PlayBook. Thanks!
    01-28-12 03:46 AM
    Perhaps things aren't as simple as you would like to make them out to be. I, personally, detest reading anything in PDF ... so Adobe's PDF reader isn't an issue for me. I use Distiller to create PDFs for business, but that's about all I use it for.

I read a lot ... and as a result would never use any LCD-based reader. It's very bad for your eyes.

Please note that BookReader is also a Kindle reader ... for whatever that is worth. I use Caliber to remove any DRM and side load to my dedicated reader ... which is E-ink ... and won't hurt your eyes.

Also note that what may be important to you or even me, may not be a priority in "the big picture".

If you are unhappy with the PB by all means go to another device. The membership here is always ready to help, but when people come on and blast RIM or the PB just to negatively compare it to some other device the reaction of the membership can be brittle.
    I think most of the people are here because we love our PlayBooks. Else, we won't be here, right? Sometimes we have some expectations on PB so we speak out what we expect and hope RIM is going to solve them one day to make the PB more mature to be a consumer product for everyone right out of the box. Take the PDF reader and eBook reader as examples, these are something quite basic to make PB a decent device. If PB can help us read PDF productively, can't read properly, can't check email, calendar, contact without BlackBerry handset, what else is it supposed to be for?

Anyway, let's wait a few more weeks for the arrival of OS 2.0.
    ody360 and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-28-12 03:51 AM
    I'm waiting for that Zinio Magazine app that was featured some weeks ago. Right now I love Book Reader for reading my epubs, but I also installed Moon Reader (from market since I'm rooted), which I enjoy while working out since it automatically scrolls down that page. I also use the Comics app for some quick comic reading.
    01-28-12 05:12 AM
    Book Reader was my main reader till i side loaded kindle on OS2 which work great. Also for your PDF's, repligo pdf reader side loaded works great too. Zinio is right around the corner with OS2 which should give you a wide selection of magazines (maybe not pdf mags), if reading is your thing, if you can wait for the OS2 release get the Kindle bar file and side load it, if you want it today, go beta, a bit of work but you know that kindle is good!!
    Where do I get the Kindle bar file? Everywhere I look for it the file has been removed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 06:03 AM

If criticism is well-deserved, then critcism should not be criticized. The OP has an iPad and bought a Playbook. I would think that's probably the highest compliment to the Playbook that can be managed. Proclaiming that the Playbook is the best tablet ever made while ignoring its faults makes us no better than the ibots. Those of us who criticize the Playbook do so because it is so close to perfection, it hurts. If RIM fixes the app gap, it would be the only device worthwhile for most. Constructive criticism is just that. Constructive.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 01-28-12 at 06:28 AM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 06:26 AM
    I agree with Barredbard. We are not fanboys (well most of us are not) we are reasoning adults which is why we have chosen Playbooks over the multitude of other devices available. If someone is dissatisfied with an aspect of the Playbook that needs to be improved this would seem to be the place to express it.

I agree the .pdf reader is woefully inadequete, however Book Reader has solved all my concerns regarding book reading, which for me was one of the main reasons I purchased the Playbook. I have owned several dedicated book readers in the past: Sony Reader, Kobo and Pandigital and the Playbook compares well to them.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 09:00 AM
    I think most of the people are here because we love our PlayBooks. Else, we won't be here, right? Sometimes we have some expectations on PB so we speak out what we expect and hope RIM is going to solve them one day to make the PB more mature to be a consumer product for everyone right out of the box. Take the PDF reader and eBook reader as examples, these are something quite basic to make PB a decent device. If PB can help us read PDF productively, can't read properly, can't check email, calendar, contact without BlackBerry handset, what else is it supposed to be for?

Anyway, let's wait a few more weeks for the arrival of OS 2.0.
    One would assume, but you'd never know it by some of the negativity flying around here. Point is, you really should do a little homework before making a purchase like this. If you do and you find that the device doesn't do everything you need it to do, then you plain and simply should not buy it. If you do make the purchase blind, it's no one's fault but your own if it doesn't do what you think it should.

If you purchased based on features and functionality that were promised but not present at the time and are bitter about their delays, that's another story; but there are probably thousands of other threads already addressing those complaints, and raising them again in topic-specific threads like these is counterproductive and annoying, and it usually leads to brand-bashing, which then leads to pointless bickering. Not good for anyone.

If criticism is well-deserved, then critcism should not be criticized. The OP has an iPad and bought a Playbook. I would think that's probably the highest compliment to the Playbook that can be managed. Proclaiming that the Playbook is the best tablet ever made while ignoring its faults makes us no better than the ibots. Those of us who criticize the Playbook do so because it is so close to perfection, it hurts. If RIM fixes the app gap, it would be the only device worthwhile for most. Constructive criticism is just that. Constructive.
    As I noted, there are plenty of other places for criticism. No need polluting a thread seeking help on a specific issue with more of it.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread topic. I've been less than satisfied with the Kobo reader as well, but I'd like to thank those who suggested Book Reader. It seems to have decent reviews, and I'm definitely going to give it a shot.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 01-28-12 at 09:42 AM.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 09:34 AM
    I'm waiting for that Zinio Magazine app that was featured some weeks ago. Right now I love Book Reader for reading my epubs, but I also installed Moon Reader (from market since I'm rooted), which I enjoy while working out since it automatically scrolls down that page. I also use the Comics app for some quick comic reading.
    I never heard of Zinio till it was mentioned in that video. I'm very excited about that program. I have a ton of Magazines and it drives my wife crazy. Still have some from 1986. Haven't bought any in a few months or more but Zinio really excited me. The prices one some that I looked at are amazing. And being able to take them with me is nice. They also don't need more book shelf space.

I thing out if all the things OS 2.0 will bring, Zinio is the one I'm most looking forward to.

James
    01-28-12 09:55 AM
    I agree with Barredbard. We are not fanboys (well most of us are not) we are reasoning adults which is why we have chosen Playbooks over the multitude of other devices available. If someone is dissatisfied with an aspect of the Playbook that needs to be improved this would seem to be the place to express it.

I agree the .pdf reader is woefully inadequete, however Book Reader has solved all my concerns regarding book reading, which for me was one of the main reasons I purchased the Playbook. I have owned several dedicated book readers in the past: Sony Reader, Kobo and Pandigital and the Playbook compares well to them.
    The only problem I see is when people blame Rim for another companies app. Bring the problems to the attention of the app developer and talk about them hear. But to say its Rims fault that an app is sub par is wrong.

James
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-28-12 10:00 AM
    As it stands, on the current official OS, the PB is a 1/4 baked device. Good hardware, but functionally crippled - my little 7" Android tablet has access to 400,000 apps, and thousands are quality apps. I'm on Honeycomb, with the Ice Cream Sandwich update coming any day. Honeycomb is fast, slick, and stable, and I don't see any advantage at all for the PB browser over my Android browsers, which include the built in browser, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Dolphin, and others.

There are free e-readers and file managers that are far superior to anything on my PB. I can access any shared file or directory anywhere on my network, and stream from my network to my Android effortlessly and free.

It is unbelievable how many apps in the PB app world have 4 or 5 stars - like Free Chess, when they wouldn't rate a 1/2 star in the Android or IOS world. And the prices are inflated for the PB as well. My 3 Angry Bird apps on the Android came for free...

I love the hardware on the PB, but it's just not functional without an adequate software base. Hopefully, OS2 will change this. If not, bye bye PB.
    Last edited by Michel Souris; 01-28-12 at 03:02 PM.
    01-28-12 02:59 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD