08-14-12 01:54 AM
66 123
tools
    So I was frustrated and concerned about the new 'maintenance' update that was ruining my PB with insane battery drain and making it run very hot, so I signed up for the 2.1 beta.

It is excellent so far. My battery drain is gone, and the awful 2.0.1 lag is also gone. This is how the PB should be. Android apps run smoothly, each in their own window, and the portrait email is long overdue.

I would recommend to anyone experiencing problems with the latest official OS update to sign up and get the 2.1 beta asap.

Hopefully RIM gets this beta released soon.
    johncade likes this.
    08-09-12 03:27 AM
    Does it get push to my PB after I sign up or will I have to download it manually and update through Desktop Manager? Either way I'll do it because I'm having battery issues with .668 which has been bothering me since I updated to it.
    trinipoco likes this.
    08-09-12 03:48 AM
    It gets pushed to your device and you have 24 hours to download it, or you have to sign up again. It was about 470mb.
    luqman24 and Heavens1 like this.
    08-09-12 03:53 AM
    It gets pushed to your device and you have 24 hours to download it, or you have to sign up again. It was about 470mb.
    Ok great, thanks!
    08-09-12 03:59 AM
    I have this since the release of this update.. It's a fair share of improvement as compared to other OS that the users are on.. I'm guessing because a lot of problems don't exist..
    08-09-12 04:55 AM
    I had 2GB left before the update and now I'm down to 1.5GB, I understand it's because of the OS but isn't it supposed to delete the previous OS first then replace it with the new one?
    08-09-12 05:17 AM
    Any new language support?

Can someone provide the link to get the beta? THANK YOU!
    08-09-12 07:54 AM
    08-09-12 08:10 AM
    It is solid I've been running it since it's been available. Have had some keyboard lag here and there but that's about it.
    08-09-12 08:32 AM
    After reading ur post I gave it a go. Even though the 2.0 update didn't give me any real issues the 2.1 just feels quicker and more responsive especially with the keyboard. Wish I had done it sooner. My only issue is it has taken another 0.5gb from me 2 upgrade on top of the 2.0.1.688 but hey it works well so worth it. Just hoping that as I was being cheap when I brought my PlayBook and only got the 16gb bb10 doesn't demand to much storage
    08-09-12 08:44 AM
    Wow I put the beta on mine, not because .668 did anything to mine. In fact I like. 668 better than the beta. I'm getting horrid keyboard lag at times and slow loading a lot on the beta.
    rotorwrench and aha like this.
    08-09-12 08:58 AM
    Funny. I felt the same way this morning when I woke up and decided to give it a try myself. I am more than frustrated with my PB so I figured it couldn't hurt any worse. Download is still in process.
    08-09-12 09:03 AM
    I might give this a try as well. Are there any features that don't work (yet) on this version?
    cjenniti likes this.
    08-09-12 09:47 AM
    I might give this a try as well. Are there any features that don't work (yet) on this version?
    The font size and font type in Kobo books doesn't work

Bridge SMS is in fact included in this OS but we would need a Bridge update to actually get it functional.
    08-09-12 09:50 AM
    Bridge SMS is in fact included in this OS but we would need a Bridge update to actually get it functional.

There is a nice kick in the pills.
    JayR2010 likes this.
    08-09-12 09:55 AM
    Wow I put the beta on mine, not because .668 did anything to mine. In fact I like. 668 better than the beta. I'm getting horrid keyboard lag at times and slow loading a lot on the beta.
    I tried the beta when released. After a couple days I went back to .358. It didn't work out for me. .668 has been a good experience so far.
    Willard814 likes this.
    08-09-12 10:07 AM
    .668 has been a great experience for me, but I wish RIM would go ahead and release this long awaited 2.1 official update
    Last edited by spencerdl; 08-09-12 at 10:33 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    08-09-12 10:19 AM
    So I was frustrated and concerned about the new 'maintenance' update that was ruining my PB with insane battery drain and making it run very hot, so I signed up for the 2.1 beta.

It is excellent so far. My battery drain is gone, and the awful 2.0.1 lag is also gone. This is how the PB should be. Android apps run smoothly, each in their own window, and the portrait email is long overdue.

I would recommend to anyone experiencing problems with the latest official OS update to sign up and get the 2.1 beta asap.

After I installed the update .668, I decided to change to 2.1 (beta) with Dingleberry.
    My playbook works much better with 2.1.
    I am a great admirer of Playbook, but I'm getting exasperated at the lack of effective technical service.
    I am using Skype and Netflix on my laptop and I do not see short term the day I could use these apps on my playbook.
    Now I'm seriously considering to buy a Nexus 7 16GB.
    08-09-12 10:29 AM
    I personally think the 2.1 Beta is garbage. Can't watch flash based videos since I installed it, the browser crashes a lot unless you turn off Javascript. I was hoping for the 2.1 GA release with the LTE Playbook, but apparently RIM is still developing software without a sense of urgency.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-09-12 11:01 AM
    I've been pleased with the last update so far too. No issues, same good battery life and some improvements. The Beta sounds good, but too many beta horror stories for me to try it anymore. I have my PB set up just the way I like it. I'll wait for 2.1
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-09-12 at 12:44 PM.
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    08-09-12 11:48 AM
    It runs a little warmer and it seems to suck more of the battery but lll wait for 2.1 don't need more aggravation lol!
    08-09-12 12:14 PM
    The update still seems to be running fine for me as well so I'm sticking with it. I remember reading about all the wiping and the reinstalling when upgrading from a beta and I really don't want to go there if I can avoid it. Come on RIM - were waiting for the official version!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    08-09-12 12:37 PM
    I personally think the 2.1 Beta is garbage. Can't watch flash based videos since I installed it, the browser crashes a lot unless you turn off Javascript. I was hoping for the 2.1 GA release with the LTE Playbook, but apparently RIM is still developing software without a sense of urgency.
    I had the same symptoms when I first dl the beta. A wipe and reinstall fixed it.

It's been a pleasure using it except for occasionally I get keyboard lag.
    08-09-12 01:26 PM

2.1 beta is awesome. i've had it installed from the day it was released to developers. works great and it does not feel like beta at all.
    08-09-12 02:32 PM
    Not in a hurry to have it.

I have no real issue with the present version, and this release doesn't announce anything of sufficient value to me.

But then for serious activities I use an Android tablet.
    08-09-12 02:45 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD