I am having a problem with the front facing camera. When I load up the camera app, the rear facing camera works fine but when I switch to the front facing camera all that appears is a black screen. When I try to take a picture I get an error "4003.error picture". Also, when I load up the video chat app I get the error "Another application is using the camera. Please close the application and try again".

I got the playbook on the first day so it is well beyond the warranty. I've tried multiple hard resets and I still have the same problem. Has anyone experienced this before or know how to fix it. I am running 2.1 but I haven't had an issue with the camera until recently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    06-17-12 06:40 PM
    What OS are you running?
    06-17-12 07:22 PM
    Word is RIM is fixing PB's beyond the warranty. It couldn't hurt to try.

I used 2.1 briefly and didn't have any problem with the camera. In any case, going back to the official is the only way to rule out the Beta as the cause.

There are a couple camera threads here. Have you looked at them?
    06-17-12 07:30 PM
    What OS are you running?
    2.1 - Although I have been running it since it was released and was able to a video chat previously in 2.1
    06-17-12 07:52 PM
    In 2.1, the android player has access to the camera, and there is an android camera app included with the android runtime. You can access it through Ghost Commander. From Ghost's homescreen, click applications. then camera, then shortcuts, then camera-main to launch the app. See if the front camera works with this app- it may help you narrow down whether the problem is hardware or software related.
    06-17-12 08:18 PM
    I have had a similar issue where up on updating to the latest version of the OS (not the beta but the latest officially released) my front facing camera does not work. I have posted this before. I don't get the error you are getting. What happens is the camera app loads up fine showing the rear camera but when I switch to the front camera, the screen is black and you can't do a thing. If i close the camera app and try to reopen it, i get "camera is in use"

If I downgrade the OS, both cameras work fine. Could it be that the camera has issues with working with OSes greater than 2.0.0.7971? 7971 is the latest OS where both cameras function properly.
    06-17-12 08:37 PM
    I couldn't get the camera to work in Ghost Commander either. I get an error message and I have to force close the app.

I am going to do a security wipe and downgrade to 2.0 and see if that solves the problem.
    06-17-12 08:48 PM
    Could it be that the camera has issues with working with OSes greater than 2.0.0.7971? 7971 is the latest OS where both cameras function properly.
    No. Both cameras worked for me in both the beta and the last 2.01 release, and most others aren't reporting problems.
    06-17-12 08:55 PM
    I couldn't get the camera to work in Ghost Commander either. I get an error message and I have to force close the app.

I am going to do a security wipe and downgrade to 2.0 and see if that solves the problem.
    Good luck....
    06-17-12 08:57 PM
    No. Both cameras worked for me in both the beta and the last 2.01 release, and most others aren't reporting problems.
    Yeah you are right. When I brought this issue up a month or 2 ago, most people weren't having this issue. Only a few. I have had mine for over a year now and was planning on taking my PB back to BestBuy, since I have the extended warranty but just have not found the time.
    06-17-12 09:03 PM
    In 2.1, the android player has access to the camera, and there is an android camera app included with the android runtime. You can access it through Ghost Commander. From Ghost's homescreen, click applications. then camera, then shortcuts, then camera-main to launch the app. See if the front camera works with this app- it may help you narrow down whether the problem is hardware or software related.
    Good info. Mine just worked, front and back. Did not try the video.
    06-17-12 09:38 PM
    Security wipe didn't fix it. I'll give RIM a call tomorrow, hopefully they'll fix it.
    06-17-12 10:15 PM
    Security wipe didn't fix it. I'll give RIM a call tomorrow, hopefully they'll fix it.
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am getting the same error on both front and rear
    08-18-12 07:25 PM
    I have this issue as well, except that neither camera works. Initially it was only the front facing camera, and now neither work. I'm hoping tomorrows update will fix this. If not I hope I can get some service, I bought my PB at full price on June 1, 2011. 32 GB. I'm gonna get a new one anyway, waiting for the 4G to hit the US. May get still another for the wife.
    09-18-12 03:25 PM
    I am now getting this same problem and I have not done any upgrades recently.

Both front and back was working when I first got the PB (used on ebay) and as late as two weeks ago, the cameras was working fine. I now have gotten the black camera screen and "error.4003.picture" box when I try to click a shot from the blank screen.

I am on Beta 2.1.0.560 when it first came out and did not go to beta 0.840 because the user reviews have been mixed.

I already tried the 3-button Reboot and testing the Android-Camera via Ghost Commander. No go.

Security Wipe does not seem to work at least based on comments here.

Since my PB is used, warranty is out of the question.

Any suggestions?
    09-24-12 05:47 PM
    I am now getting this same problem and I have not done any upgrades recently.

Both front and back was working when I first got the PB (used on ebay) and as late as two weeks ago, the cameras was working fine. I now have gotten the black camera screen and "error.4003.picture" box when I try to click a shot from the blank screen.

I am on Beta 2.1.0.560 when it first came out and did not go to beta 0.840 because the user reviews have been mixed.

I already tried the 3-button Reboot and testing the Android-Camera via Ghost Commander. No go.

Security Wipe does not seem to work at least based on comments here.

Since my PB is used, warranty is out of the question.

Any suggestions?
    You might still try contacting Rim. They have not revealed the issue but apparently acknowledge it is a known issue so there is something inherently "wrong" that this happens.

The price of a repair if not covered might make buying a new one at current low prices something to think about.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    09-24-12 06:50 PM
    I called Rim on this as I have the same issue.
    They asked when I bought it and they agreed to help even though it was a year old. Spent an hour on the phone with no luck. They are sending me info to send it back for repair as there does not seem to be a reliable fix for this. Very odd problem as you can be sure the hardware is working - must be software but - wipes, resets, reboots etc and nothing just error 4003 - the kiss of death it seems.
    Call RIM - go through the motions (make sure you have at least an hour to kill) - and wait for the eventual - OK please return to RIM......
    09-24-12 08:45 PM
    I tried ghost commander, but when I switched to the front camera the app crashed and made me force close.
    10-07-12 04:36 PM
    I tried ghost commander, but when I switched to the front camera the app crashed and made me force close.
    That suggests to me that the problem is more likely hardware rather than software related- assuming the front camera isn't working in the native camera app. It still wouldn't hurt to try a Security Wipe and reinstall the OS. Don't reinstall from a backup, though- if your software is somehow corrupted to don't want to just reinstall the corrupted software.
    10-07-12 05:14 PM
    I am dealing with the exact same problem. I tried the Ghost Commander thing still the front camera was not working. What should I do now?
    08-20-13 09:10 AM
    That suggests to me that the problem is more likely hardware rather than software related- assuming the front camera isn't working in the native camera app. It still wouldn't hurt to try a Security Wipe and reinstall the OS. Don't reinstall from a backup, though- if your software is somehow corrupted to don't want to just reinstall the corrupted software.

How do I reinstall the OS?
    08-20-13 09:13 AM
    There is no fix for this. Call RIM and register the PlayBook and send it to them they will replace it. Again there is no fix for this error.
    08-20-13 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD