While using my Playbook(<3) today, I noticed my front-facing camera is gathering a bit of dust. (Dun dun duuuuun!) It's not a HUGE deal for me, but I have experienced increased noise on phone camera's in the past regarding dust (Curve 8520 and the lens cavity for example).

Has anyone else noticed this, or know of a quick fix? Probably wouldn't bother stripping the PB apart to clean this, but if it gets any worse then might have to consider it. (Brought my Girlfriend a Playbook for Christmas (she loves it!) and actually using Video Chat now, so wouldn't want too much noise on the image).
    01-15-12 09:07 AM
    Looks suspicious. My front camera has all those layers forming concentric circles, not misaligned as yours are. Maybe somethings broken inside and the "dust" is some debris.

If you haven't seen another one up close, maybe try comparing and see what the second one looks like.

Edit: well, perfectly concentric on one out of three. My other two are slightly misaligned, but not so bad as yours. I still suspect the dust is from inside the unit and not normal in any case (both meanings of "case" intended).
    Last edited by peter9477; 01-15-12 at 09:46 AM.
    01-15-12 09:43 AM
    That's a lot of dust

It looks unusual to my eyes. My cameras are clean

Maybe you have a refurbished unit and the technician was careless or doing coke at the time...I can only speculate

Contact RIM pb support.
    01-15-12 09:45 AM
    just had a look at my Girlfriends, the rings are pretty aligned (brought Dec 2011).

I got the Playbook from new last July, so it's fairly old. It's taken good care of though. Kept in the convertable case from Day 1 etc.

Will try contacting RIM and see what they have to say...
    01-15-12 09:47 AM
    according to some posts, you must be living in a desert area and you must move out of there to avoid this problem.
    01-15-12 09:48 AM
    according to some posts, you must be living in a desert area and you must move out of there to avoid this problem.

Southampton? Desert?
    ralfyguy likes this.
    01-15-12 09:50 AM
    Just spoken to Support. Had to forward the picture above to them as the incident is being raised with a "Hardware Analyist". Waiting for the call back. Will update when I get an answer

Thank you all for your replies.
    01-15-12 10:20 AM
    If dust did get into the PB's camera area, then there is access somewhere. If that is in fact the case, perhaps you can use some canned air around the seams of the PB and see if that does anything.
    Flexin likes this.
    01-15-12 10:25 AM
    Just spoken to Support. Had to forward the picture above to them as the incident is being raised with a "Hardware Analyist". Waiting for the call back. Will update when I get an answer

Thank you all for your replies.
    Off topic: Since you're not in a desert but UK and you called support, would you mind posting the phone number you called either for UK or Europe. I try posting contact info for support and I only have the US/Canada numbers. I would like the European ones to add to my list. Thanks and good luck
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-15-12 11:08 AM
    If dust did get into the PB's camera area, then there is access somewhere. If that is in fact the case, perhaps you can use some canned air around the seams of the PB and see if that does anything.
    A canned VACUUM might be better - concentrated sucking! I would not want to blow dust further into the pb and mess up the screen. Obviously the speaker ports provide access although they are pretty far from the cameras.
    01-15-12 11:10 AM
    Certainly, it's 0800 096 2805 (UK Support)

Well conclusion is, they're going to attempt an RMA (collecting Tuesday), we'll see what happens.

I'm normally one for repairing things myself. But with OS2 round the corner, don't want to take any chances.
    01-15-12 11:38 AM
    Hi there Just adopted thePB yesterday.. Brand new from pc world
    I knew i should have gone back with it, the box didnt have sticktape on it,and now i realize my camera is like yours ...Its taken the shine of things

What do you thnk my chances of replacing are ?

regards vert
    01-15-12 12:25 PM
    I knew i should have gone back with it, the box didnt have sticktape on it,and now i realize my camera is like yours ...Its taken the shine of things

regards vert
    Try returning it or dispute credit card purchase???
    verticallimit12 likes this.
    01-15-12 12:39 PM
    Cheers bro. Luckily i used a cc . I love the PB so just want it exchanging. For a new one
    I think i been palmed off with a refurb,
    01-15-12 12:45 PM

regards vert
    I'm doing the RMA as a precautionary measure, there's no way of getting to that Lens cavity without; at the very least, removing the Playbooks screen. I don't want that cavity to fill with dust after my 1 year Hardware Warranty and attempt it myself, thus breaking it (I work as a Photocopier Engineer, I'm fairly good with repairing/taking things apart, but don't want to shell out for a new one if the enevitable happens).
    verticallimit12 likes this.
    01-15-12 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD