This forum helped me discover two great programs for use with putting a video onto the PB: DVD Decrypter and Freemake.

Using DVD Decrypter, I can successfully create the .VOB files. The .VOB files play smoothly on my PC in the Freemake play option, meaning the source seems to be fine.

But, when I convert the .VOB to a .MP4 for use on the PlayBook - I do so by choosing the PlayBook as my destination option (dropdown menu from BlackBerry) but, the playback is very choppy on my PC and choppy on the PlayBook.

Then I noticed something I wondered if you could recreate:

When using Freemake, I choose the source file(s) and after selecting the "PlayBook" option in the drop down, if you click on the file name to rename it or change the destination - my system settings reverts from "PlayBook" preset to a 9850 or 9900 BlackBerry. I can't get the setting it to remain "PlayBook". It is weird. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

Does anyone else see that issue? I wondered if that could be the culprit as to why its choppy - as if it is encoding to somethign else.

Maybe I just have a cruddy PC not made for such purposes. Although, I'm using version 3.1.1.4 of Freemake - and wonder if a recent upgrade goofed that setting (PlayBook) up - as it preset options aren't set correctly. I'm emailing the developer to see if it is a bug in the recent version.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 09-02-12 at 06:36 PM.
    09-02-12 06:11 PM
    Okay - there's definately a wierd bug with the preset PlayBook selection in the version 3.1.1.3 of Freemake. The earlier build doesn't replicate that behavior.

Downloaded and used Handbrake as suggested in other threads. It seem to create a nice smooth (non-choppy) video.

I'm thinking this may be a driver issue, aside from the bug / glitch I'm seeing in the current version of Freemake.
    09-02-12 09:18 PM
    I also had choppy video with freemake .
    09-02-12 11:25 PM
    Feemake uses GPU acceleration to speed up the encoding process, if you have beta drivers the video may get screwed up. You could try disabling the GPU acceleration from the settings menu so it's just using the CPU.
    09-03-12 10:39 AM
    Thanks, Ninja. I'm currently trying another conversion right now w/o video acceleration to see if it removes the choppiness.

After searching around here, I discovered HandBrake. The conversion from it was fine, very smooth.

Nevertheless, there is still an issue with the current release.

The Freemake team replied replied to my inquiry with the following: "Hello, Thank you for flagging. There is such an issue. We are fixing it at the moment. It will be solved in the future, still we can not tell you when it will be available for downloading. Stay tuned with the latest news and information from Freemake on http://www.freemake.com/news/."
    09-03-12 11:33 AM
    This forum helped me discover two great programs for use with putting a video onto the PB: DVD Decrypter and Freemake.

Using DVD Decrypter, I can successfully create the .VOB files. The .VOB files play smoothly on my PC in the Freemake play option, meaning the source seems to be fine.

But, when I convert the .VOB to a .MP4 for use on the PlayBook - I do so by choosing the PlayBook as my destination option (dropdown menu from BlackBerry) but, the playback is very choppy on my PC and choppy on the PlayBook.

Then I noticed something I wondered if you could recreate:

When using Freemake, I choose the source file(s) and after selecting the "PlayBook" option in the drop down, if you click on the file name to rename it or change the destination - my system settings reverts from "PlayBook" preset to a 9850 or 9900 BlackBerry. I can't get the setting it to remain "PlayBook". It is weird. I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

Does anyone else see that issue? I wondered if that could be the culprit as to why its choppy - as if it is encoding to somethign else.

Maybe I just have a cruddy PC not made for such purposes. Although, I'm using version 3.1.1.4 of Freemake - and wonder if a recent upgrade goofed that setting (PlayBook) up - as it preset options aren't set correctly. I'm emailing the developer to see if it is a bug in the recent version.

Any suggestions?
    When I use Freemake I use the. Avi format and it plays perfectly on my PlayBook every time...
    09-03-12 02:06 PM
    The only downside to using the Avi preset is that it doesn't scale the video resolution down (or up) for the Playbook, thus wasting space for video with resolution beyond the Playbook's native.
    09-03-12 09:04 PM
    The only downside to using the Avi preset is that it doesn't scale the video resolution down (or up) for the Playbook, thus wasting space for video with resolution beyond the Playbook's native.
    That may be true but I never have playback issues described by the original post. My videos are always presented in full HD and fullscreen. If there is wasted space beyond the dimensions of my screen, I will never see it, right?
    09-03-12 09:11 PM
    That may be true but I never have playback issues described by the original post. My videos are always presented in full HD and fullscreen. If there is wasted space beyond the dimensions of my screen, I will never see it, right?
    I believe you are correct. And any change to the format to fill the pb's screen will stretch or warp the image or cut stuff off one direction or another. You canNOT truly fill the screen if the video is some other size without doing some odd resizing. Now, I admit some folks don't mind that change.
    09-03-12 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD