...who submit an app by feb 13 (cb front page blog).

Nice. I wont comment on how it is a slap to launch buyers but we are assured of countless cheap, worthless android apps now in appworld come 2.0 that make even fart apps seem like HD top tier programming.
    02-02-12 10:33 AM
    I think that if they worked their a$$e$ off developing apps, then a nice reward is fine! Kudos to RIM if this true.
    RedJam19 likes this.
    02-02-12 11:18 AM

Nice. I wont comment on how it is a slap to launch buyers but we are assured of countless cheap, worthless android apps now in appworld come 2.0 that make even fart apps seem like HD top tier programming.
    I suspect there's a hope that among those thousands of "cheap, worthless" apps that there might be a few fence-sitters with genuinely desirable stuff who will take the bait.

In many ways I see the Android Player to be more for the convenience of Android devs than anything else; a way to quickly test the waters without having to recode. This just sweetens the pot a bit.
    02-02-12 11:37 AM
    Besides, what a nice marketing tool to get more playbooks out there!!
    (And isn't every other thread lately about how RIM needs to change/emply new marketing strategy?)
    LoganSix likes this.
    02-02-12 11:42 AM
    THIS is a nice move.
    Don't advertise it too much !
    02-02-12 11:47 AM
    If the Android developer is submitting app to App World, they should have PB to test it on.

If they already have a PB, why would they need another PB? Sure they can sell it or give it to a friend/family, but it seems they should be doing this the other way around which will be a bigger help in making sure the developers have a chance to test it on PB thoroughly which means higher quality apps and probably more apps too.
    02-02-12 11:50 AM
    How do I do this!! I want a free PB how do I sign up!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-02-12 12:05 PM

How exactly is it a slap in the face to launch buyers? Are they coming to your place and taking yours away and then giving it to an Android app developer? This is hardly a new practice in the software and technology industries. On what level is there any reason to take offense?

BTW, people can't have it both ways with respect to Android. If you want Android apps, the fact is the majority are absolute garbage and many barely even work on Android tablets. At least RIM requires that apps go through some process so that 1) they actually run, and 2) we are not being inundated with Android malware.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    02-02-12 12:24 PM
    How do I do this!! I want a free PB how do I sign up!
    Step one is have an already written Android app, further details are from @asaunders on Twitter.

I wont comment on how it is a slap to launch buyers
    In case you didn't hear about it RIM gave free PBs to everyone who wrote an app back at launch. Now they're doing it again for the launch of the Android player, seems reasonable.
    02-02-12 01:00 PM
    I think the bigger concern here is that for months we have heard, or assumed that there was all kinds of apps being ported over to the playbook. We know 2.0 is on the truck and down the street about to be droped off. We know that lots of people are looking forward to the great influx of apps due to ports from android. However here we are days out and Rim is having to bait devs with free tablets to port their apps. Does this mean that there is not a significant quantity or quality of apps that are waiting in the wings? Perhaps Rim has just come to realize one of the bigest things people are waiting for in 2.0 are apps that simply just aren't there. For me, I don't care that much as I really enjoy my PB but to others I kind of sense some doom and gloom coming in the way of few ported aps come the launch of 2.0.
    02-02-12 01:06 PM
    In case you didn't hear about it RIM gave free PBs to everyone who wrote an app back at launch.
    Common knowledge, we all knew.

And as craig said on a cb podcast at the time, post of the apps were "cr@p". Or don't you remember that being a serious issue in the beginning with playbook's appworld.

Everbody was screaming for "quality" apps and most of what you had to browse through was "ball chase the line" and "here is a stick. Tap the screen to make it disappear" silly apps.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-02-12 at 01:13 PM.
    02-02-12 01:11 PM

Did you feel slighted at launch knowing that a lot of developers were attracted to the platform by the offer of a "free" PlayBook? I suppose it's true that there were a lot of" cheap, worthless" apps Air apps submitted but there were a number of good ones too.

If I were really petty, I would complain that the Android developers who already have an app on hand have it so easy as compared to my own uphill battle. But you know what? I am pleased that RIM is extending this offer. Many excellent Android developers do not yet know how easy it is to convert their app to run on PB and this is an excellent way to get the word out. If even a small fraction of these apps turn out to be top sellers then everybody wins, including early-adopting consumers like yourself.
    02-02-12 01:23 PM
    On twitter, @BerryInformed (i think a member on here) tweeted that there were 2,182 Handster Android apps in App World. That's alot of Playbooks for RIM to give away
    02-02-12 01:31 PM
    If the Android developer is submitting app to App World, they should have PB to test it on.

If they already have a PB, why would they need another PB? Sure they can sell it or give it to a friend/family, but it seems they should be doing this the other way around which will be a bigger help in making sure the developers have a chance to test it on PB thoroughly which means higher quality apps and probably more apps too.
    Well, they have been doing that also. RIM has been good about quietly getting PBs to developers at different events around here going back to last summer. That's how we have ours.

Samsung, Motorola, and LG do this quietly as well. It's really only Apple that doesn't. They make us wait in line like everyone else.

My guess is they are near some threshold and want to get over it in the next two weeks. Let's say they have 49,xxx apps in the store and want to be able to announce an even 50k when OS2 ships.
    02-02-12 01:54 PM
    On twitter, @BerryInformed (i think a member on here) tweeted that there were 2,182 Handster Android apps in App World. That's alot of Playbooks for RIM to give away
    Isn't that just one (Handster)?

By the way, I don't think these Android Apps are being ported over to PB, or customized. They all appear to be pure Android implementation, probably lightly tested on PB to make sure they work. Things like "update" or "in app purchase" doesn't work as it sends app to Android Market which doesn't exist. They should at least port part to point to App World instead of Android Market. Perhaps something will change in 2.0 release... hopefully.
    02-02-12 01:55 PM
    All i want to know is how many quality fart apps will be available?
    02-02-12 02:05 PM
    All i want to know is how many quality fart apps will be available?
    Believe it or not, RIM sets standards for what qualifies as an app. Soundboards, eBooks, trivial apps, and weblink apps are specifically excluded. They also retain to final right to disqualify any app at their sole discretion.

Question: How many fart apps qualified for the promotion for Air apps at launch?
    Answer: zero.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-02-12 02:17 PM
    Am I the only one with the sudden urge to become a developer?
    02-02-12 02:22 PM
    There will be some very high quality fart apps with this incentive... Hope with all those that will be submitted we can all find one that we enjoy.
    02-02-12 02:43 PM
    Well, they have been doing that also. RIM has been good about quietly getting PBs to developers at different events around here going back to last summer. That's how we have ours.

Samsung, Motorola, and LG do this quietly as well. It's really only Apple that doesn't. They make us wait in line like everyone else.

My guess is they are near some threshold and want to get over it in the next two weeks. Let's say they have 49,xxx apps in the store and want to be able to announce an even 50k when OS2 ships.
    My understanding is RIM was doing that for PB native app developers, not all Android developers before.

Are you developing Android apps for PB?

No app developers of PC systems get free PC systems, so this is somewhat unique to Tablet/Smartphone market.
    02-02-12 02:43 PM
    I would imagine that many Android devs don't have a PlayBook and relied on the simulator for testing. Not only will this get those devs a true test bed, having a PlayBook might make these programmers think about making native apps.
    02-02-12 03:00 PM
    My understanding is RIM was doing that for PB native app developers, not all Android developers before.
    I don't remember them specifying that to us. We were encouraged to look at bringing some of our apps (banking and SM and others) over to PB. This was last summer.

Are you developing Android apps for PB?
    No, I don't think as a company we're going to do much with PB until we see some more compelling numbers. But personally, I plan to do one or two native apps when Cascades becomes available. When we first got the PBs, we were expecting Cascades to be out Fall of 2011. When that didn't happen, we put them away essentially. Hopefully we get Cascades this Spring.

If PB takes off, then, yes we do have Android apps we could port over. But contrary to others here, I'm not that impressed or excited about the Android player. If I were a PB fan, I'd be pushing for true native apps.

No app developers of PC systems get free PC systems, so this is somewhat unique to Tablet/Smartphone market.
    We've gotten free or "loaner" servers and software tools, etc, before. Apple used to give us a little discount on Macs, but that's gone now, too.

Microsoft has been really good about getting WP7 phones out to everyone, and proactively following up with support. We got a couple of Focuses (Foci?) first, and then more recently an 800.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-02-12 at 03:12 PM.
    02-02-12 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD