Hi Crackberry, as a new Playbook owner this site's been incredibly helpful in learning the ins & outs of the device. I've taken to sideloading some Android apps that I feel the PB is missing and have run into a problem or two. After using and closing the "Crosswords" app one night and going to bed, I woke up the next morning to a 0% battery. Wi-Fi was off and the app was closed, so I'm assuming it didn't close properly and was still running. Usually 12 hours in standby drains 4-8% of the battery.

Is there a free app killer for the PB, one that makes sure even after you close an app that it's still not running in the background? Thanks.
    09-28-12 11:25 PM
    Given the way the Playbook is walled, I think there will never be, and can't be, an app killer.
    There are some as concerns Android applications, that are ports from android and for android things only. Is your crossword app an android port?
    Wasp14 likes this.
    09-29-12 01:34 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's an Android port that someone converted into a .bar file to be installed. Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but this is a link to where I got it from: Blackberry Playbook Android Games | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market A lot of those apps seem to be hit or miss with running properly.
    09-29-12 01:40 AM
    There is a free app called memory eater which will kill apps and save you rebooting hope this helps
    09-29-12 02:55 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's an Android port that someone converted into a .bar file to be installed. Not sure if I'm allowed to do this, but this is a link to where I got it from: Blackberry Playbook Android Games | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market A lot of those apps seem to be hit or miss with running properly.
    If the android runtime is not open, the apps cant run in the background.
    So it cant be the android emulator
    09-29-12 05:51 AM
    I pose this because I don't know the answer myself.. Knowing the number of malware apps on android, is it possible that the app (although closed) is trying to connect to the Internet for no good reasons? I don't have any sideloaded apps and generally when I download any ported app that ask for way to many access permission rights, and then force closes when I don't allow the rights, I delete them faster than you can say no thanks. Maybe it's just my paranoia..
    rcm1301 and Wasp14 like this.
    09-29-12 07:27 AM
    I don't have their names but I believe that there are a couple of "memory eaters" or "app killers" in appworld and I don't think that their price is very high. There may be a free one.

Also, while it might be contrary to the initial wish, I think either Ghost Commander or ES File Manager(??) have app killer modes but obviously, they are Android apps.

I don't know if there is anyway to detect if Android is running except on an initial boot where it would not be loaded.
    09-29-12 08:36 AM
    Try Advanced Application Manager in App World. Good for killing Android ported apps and is free I believe.
    Wasp14 likes this.
    09-29-12 12:19 PM
    Thanks for the help and suggestions, I'll definitely try out Advanced Application Manager and see how that goes. I'll also be rechecking the permissions to make sure it wasn't trying to connect to the internet (which is possible because it can receive new crosswords). I haven't used it since but hopefully it was just a one time occurrence that kept it running.
    09-29-12 01:08 PM
    Ghost Commander as well. Select the app, select manage, and pick force close and you're done.

Mike
    Zildjian71 and Wasp14 like this.
    09-29-12 03:23 PM
    I had this happen to me again (this time while using the Playbook). The battery went from 40-26% in about ten minutes, which has never happened before. I opened Advanced App Manager and saw that the sideloaded Words Free app was running in the background. It wasn't Crosswords that did it the first time then, it was Words free since I had also played that. I've since deleted it. Thanks again for the help/suggestions.

Edit: The only other thing said to be running was the Crackberry app, which I also closed.
    10-07-12 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD