At full 1080p with 323 pixels, N7-2 has the highest DPI of any tablet on the market...the screen is soo much better than the N7 and there are TWO cameras on this version. Good luck browsing on the Playbook
    Well, specs are specs and I suppose you will need Superman eyes to take advantage of them. I don't deny that there may be some instances (e.g. photo viewing) where it may be a benefit. But I am very satisfied with PB in this regard. As I said, I mistyped about "no front-facing camera" as I meant "rear-facing". I'll be curious if they can bring the device in at a similar price point with the added hardware. I am very critical about the mobile browsing experience and it usually determines whether I buy the device or not. I guess there was a reason Google took flash out of the Play Store. It does impact JB 4.2.2. I've tried every Android browser and had to settle on Puffin, which runs flash on their own servers. Otherwise, freezes and force closes. I'll take PB with Origami browser any time. Just sayin.
    07-25-13 08:20 AM
    A worthy successor would be the HP TouchPad 4G, and here's why (keep in mind that I own one in addition to my PlayBook) . webOS is darn near identical to the PlayBook OS (although slightly nicer to look at), and it features the same swipe gestures for pretty much every function. The Card Stack view on webOS was something that the PlayBook could have really used, too. So, with that in mind, here is a run down of specs that improve over the Wi-Fi version of the PlayBook when looking at the TouchPad 4G (let's face it, why upgrade to a 4G PlayBook when you're mad about the one you already have?). First, the screen on the TouchPad 4G is nearly 3 inches bigger than the PlayBook (both versions) . There is no HDMI on the TouchPad 4G, but with a 9.7" display, do you really need to hook it up to a TV? This next point is one that kills me about the PlayBook : 1.0 ghz Texas Instruments processor. Set aside the speed; who the hell thought TI OMAP was a smart move? And to use another one in not just the updated 4G PlayBook (with a speed increase to 1.5ghz), but to use the same piece of crap processor in the Z10 STL100-1 model (slightly newer revision) ? There is a reason Qualcomm Snapdragon is a better processor ; even HP knew it, and that's why the TouchPad 4G has one (S3 running at 1.5 ghz). And BlackBerry really wised up when they stopped using TI processors after the first Z10 iteration. My next observation is the Touchstone wireless charging. Yes, I love the magnetic Rapid Travel Charger (I own 5 of them to cover 2 PlayBooks all over the house and for road trips), but the Touchstone charger is just quicker, and with exhibition mode, it becomes a digital photo album while charging. Setting aside the 4G capability because that's unfair to Wi-Fi only PlayBooks, the Touch Pad 4G can be modified two different ways. First, you have Preware to install home brew apps. Then, you can root to install CM9 or CM10 in a dual boot mode. If that isn't enough, you also have Beats Audio pushing music either through the built in stereo speakers, or through your 3.5 mm headphones. Yea, Bluetooth is also present, and it hooks up to the Music Gateway flawlessly. The list could go on (and contrary to rumors, HP's app store still works fine), but as you can see, the TouchPad 4G IS what a new PlayBook should have been. Transitioning between a PlayBook and the TouchPad is seamless and not as confusing as picking up an Android tablet after relying on swipe gestures for so long. That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

I used my Z10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    07-25-13 08:51 AM
    My only misgivings about the new Nexus 7 are the lack of a microSD slot and HDMI output. I don't know if it can use an MHL HDMI dongle but having no microSD just stinks. I know it can use USB OTG but that's not an elegant solution if you want to carry a lot of media files.

And yeah, HP's handling of WebOS and the Touchpad was much better than BBRY's continued bungling. HP released WebOS under an open source license, helped with porting a lot of stuff, and didn't go ape-turd when people started dual-booting Android on Touchpads.
    07-25-13 08:52 AM
    The point I was trying to make somewhere in that rant was that even HP opened up access to the TouchPad 4G when they stopped supporting it, and I hope BlackBerry does the same for the PlayBook.

07-25-13 08:53 AM
    Are they working on an playbook 2. Or getting out of the tablet business altogether. Why not make a r�m drive with available on board disk space and roll out bb10 for the current playbooks... ???

I'm considering windows tablet as a new tablet since rim not mentioning anything other then no bb10 cause of performance issues.
    07-25-13 10:48 AM
    Are they working on an playbook 2. Or getting out of the tablet business altogether. Why not make a r�m drive with available on board disk space and roll out bb10 for the current playbooks... ???

I'm considering windows tablet as a new tablet since rim not mentioning anything other then no bb10 cause of performance issues.
    I think right now, they are focused on keeping their head above water with the handsets. The head of PB development also was let go or left the company. So I really doubt any tablet activity is going on. So I guess just do your due diligence and select another tablet. There really is no right or wrong answer if you like the device.
    07-25-13 11:34 AM
  7. shadowy banger from a shadowy duplex's Avatar
    The screen looks like it will be fantastic for text. I prefer my retina iPad to dead tree text format these days, and it is lower res than this. Will have to wait for a competent review to see if the quality is there.

1920x1200 will also be nice for movies. Lots of 1080p (1920x1080) video out there, including Netflix of course.
    07-25-13 03:47 PM
    Wikipad 7 maybe my replacement
    07-25-13 09:26 PM
    I don't like its look. the camera position is also weird.
    Only 1 GB ram ? But I thought that Thorsten told us that anything below 2 GB is garbage. another lie ?
    But still the tablets with 1GB may receive the latest JellyBean 4.3 update. Only BB10 is not capable to run with 1GB RAM.
    07-25-13 10:21 PM
    Please stop comparing N7 with PB. PB is DEAD. BBRY hates it they wont support it. Thorny is happy he managed to clear the remaining inventory. Get a better tablet and enjoy the latest technology. No point defending an EGOISTIC company. You may disagree with me, its just my opinion.

Well, specs are specs and I suppose you will need Superman eyes to take advantage of them. I don't deny that there may be some instances (e.g. photo viewing) where it may be a benefit. But I am very satisfied with PB in this regard. As I said, I mistyped about "no front-facing camera" as I meant "rear-facing". I'll be curious if they can bring the device in at a similar price point with the added hardware. I am very critical about the mobile browsing experience and it usually determines whether I buy the device or not. I guess there was a reason Google took flash out of the Play Store. It does impact JB 4.2.2. I've tried every Android browser and had to settle on Puffin, which runs flash on their own servers. Otherwise, freezes and force closes. I'll take PB with Origami browser any time. Just sayin.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    07-25-13 10:30 PM

Oddly Windos Tablet prime negative is lack of apps. I am torn between Windows and Samsung. They have 4 tablets wifi from 7 to 10 inch.

But, I still use PB for hours every day and really like it!
    07-25-13 10:52 PM
    IPad mini is better than this nexus. I'm sure you won't enjoy smooth scrolling at chrome

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-25-13 10:53 PM
    Well, specs are specs and I suppose you will need Superman eyes to take advantage of them. I don't deny that there may be some instances (e.g. photo viewing) where it may be a benefit. But I am very satisfied with PB in this regard. {snip} I am very critical about the mobile browsing experience and it usually determines whether I buy the device or not. I guess there was a reason Google took flash out of the Play Store. It does impact JB 4.2.2. I've tried every Android browser and had to settle on Puffin, which runs flash on their own servers. Otherwise, freezes and force closes. I'll take PB with Origami browser any time. Just sayin.
    Trust me, there is a HUGE difference. The PB is only 1024x600, and if you aren't able to see the difference between that and a 1920x1200 display, you need to have yourself declared legally blind. I had the Note 10.1 for a while, which has a 1280x800 display -- comparable, I would suppose, to a 1024x600 when you consider it's a 10" tab -- and then I switched to a Nexus 10, which has a 2560x1600 display. This was a bump up that that is similar to the bump up you'd get going from a PB to a Nexus 7-2. The difference was incredible. So incredible, it's obvious you have no idea.

As for Flash, it's still readily available for Android on Adobe's website, although they are no longer updating it. I use it with Firefox for Android, which anyone will tell you is the preferred solution, certainly over those you mention. I've not experienced any freezes or force closes with it.

IPad mini is better than this nexus. I'm sure you won't enjoy smooth scrolling at chrome
    Thank you, Shecky! He'll be here all week, folks. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
    07-26-13 08:05 AM
    Please stop comparing N7 with PB. PB is DEAD. BBRY hates it they wont support it. Thorny is happy he managed to clear the remaining inventory. Get a better tablet and enjoy the latest technology. No point defending an EGOISTIC company. You may disagree with me, its just my opinion.
    I respect everyone's opinion. Opinions are all that's here. I usually don't like to compare devices because they all have their pros and cons. The N 7-2 sounds like a great device but just don't think it will be perfect. I also don't hate on the PB and I think it is a good device. I don't defend BBRY either but it is their company and they have the right to do as they please.
    07-26-13 08:17 AM
    I'm fully content with my Playbook. Does everything I need it to do. I'll stick with my Playbook for now.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    07-26-13 08:30 AM
    Trust me, there is a HUGE difference. The PB is only 1024x600, and if you aren't able to see the difference between that and a 1920x1200 display, you need to have yourself declared legally blind. I had the Note 10.1 for a while, which has a 1280x800 display -- comparable, I would suppose, to a 1024x600 when you consider it's a 10" tab -- and then I switched to a Nexus 10, which has a 2560x1600 display. This was a bump up that that is similar to the bump up you'd get going from a PB to a Nexus 7-2. The difference was incredible. So incredible, it's obvious you have no idea.

As for Flash, it's still readily available for Android on Adobe's website, although they are no longer updating it. I use it with Firefox for Android, which anyone will tell you is the preferred solution, certainly over those you mention. I've not experienced any freezes or force closes with it.

Thank you, Shecky! He'll be here all week, folks. Don't forget to tip your waitress.
    Really, I am not saying that you won't see a difference. It is just to the point where it is a spec and personal preference. I don't mind if I can see every pixel. The PB HD demo video still blows me away on the PB, while I have watched it on HD monitors and HDTVs, etc. Most reviewers say that 720P is fine for anything less than 32" HDTV. Sure technology will advance and if you have to have it, go for it. Strictly my opinion and obviously not yours.

Of course, I have the latest flash available installed on JB4.2.2. Firefox may be the preferred solution but I did not find it to be. Flash works fine on JB4.1.2 and lower. Just don't expect it to with JB4.3. That's all I am saying.
    07-26-13 08:37 AM
    Does everything I need it to do.
    If I had a nickel for every time I've read that here! "I don't need a car. I'm happy with my horse. Does everything I need it to do."
    07-26-13 08:44 AM
    The point I was trying to make somewhere in that rant was that even HP opened up access to the TouchPad 4G when they stopped supporting it, and I hope BlackBerry does the same for the PlayBook.

I agree! As an owner both a PB & a webOS/cm9 TouchPad, it would be nice to be able to dual boot the PlayBook with Android just for the help of it.

Sent from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 using the Mobile Nations App
    07-26-13 08:52 AM
    Can never be a successor no gestures just not a playbook you mean replacement.I wont be investing in small tablets its 10inch+ lab/tabtop or nothing.

5 inch+ phone will eventually make small tablets redundant just a matter of time.They will have a place for kids until they get big phones.Have fun with you N7 thats all that matters.
    07-26-13 09:06 AM
    07-26-13 03:19 PM
    07-26-13 03:46 PM
    A little rich for my blood, but if I stumble across $780.00, I support Linux big time and will be glad to do so for that piece of gold as well. Let's just hope it doesn't end up being another Pandora.

Robert Roger likes this.
    07-26-13 05:23 PM
47 12