Well, I just found something new! I created a new exchange server at home and added it to the playbook. Paradoxically this is my 'home' account, not work, but the Playbook detected it as a 'work' account because it was exchange. It then proceeded to create a protected area for the balance feature and ringfenced this account off. Brilliant!

I love it when you find something like this - but I have a question - does anyone know much about this feature? I can see it creates a folder similar to bridge with a protected web browser in, but other than that, what else can it do? I notice I can drag apps into this folder, so presumably they save into the same protected memory space, can anyone confirm?

Is there any other balance goodies I'm missing out on?
    08-14-13 05:17 AM
    Wow, now THIS sounds interesting, I will be subscribing to this thread as I would like to do the same with my PB. As a matter of fact, I plan to outfit all my employees with BB devices and(once I get employees) but if the PB can do all this, then I'll just use them. They're inexpensive because everyone thinks they're outdated and since they will NOT get BB10 on them, most people want to get rid of them......but not I. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to buy about 100 of them for about $60-$80 each...... 32G and 64G(preferably 32G). I am a new student taking up Network Security, so I plan to use PB as much as possible when I build my home server and databases. I hope more people contribute to this post so we can REALLY exchange ideas, I'm reading a lot about balance on the BB10 devs but not a lot about balance on PB......I want to know!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    08-14-13 05:55 AM
    Yes there is more to the Balance on the PlayBook. Many have said that the bridge is broken when connected to the new BB10 10 phones. With the Balance you can access the work place on your phone thru the bridge using the native PlayBook File Manager. You also should be able to access any network drives in your domain. For this to work you have to setup the BlackBerry Work Drive App in the Work space on your phone. You can access network documents on your phones as well. I was able to access documents on my network shares on my PlayBook through the file manager with the PlayBook bridge to my BB z10 phone. There are other features you can read about on the BlackBerry support site.
    08-14-13 06:38 AM
    This sounds exciting!
    08-14-13 01:03 PM
    that all needs a BES10 server though - what I found was without even connecting the play book to bes, or mobile fusion. This just all started working simply because it detected an exchange account.

From what you have said and the reading I have done since, I am assuming that not much more than this can be achieved without a BES10, but even still, its pretty amazing!
    08-14-13 04:49 PM
    Wow, now THIS sounds interesting, I will be subscribing to this thread as I would like to do the same with my PB. As a matter of fact, I plan to outfit all my employees with BB devices and(once I get employees) but if the PB can do all this, then I'll just use them. They're inexpensive because everyone thinks they're outdated and since they will NOT get BB10 on them, most people want to get rid of them......but not I. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to buy about 100 of them for about $60-$80 each...... 32G and 64G(preferably 32G). I am a new student taking up Network Security, so I plan to use PB as much as possible when I build my home server and databases. I hope more people contribute to this post so we can REALLY exchange ideas, I'm reading a lot about balance on the BB10 devs but not a lot about balance on PB......I want to know!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    You can find 100 playbooks on the planet and start a business using them? Really?
    Your business plan needs more work son.
    08-15-13 03:34 AM
    I'm trying to get balance to work with office 365 and Exchange any body got some info how to set it up?
    08-16-13 08:33 PM
    to be honest all I did was add my personal exchange server and the balance options started appearing. Any setup was auto initiated. Not sure how that behaves if you use office 365, or what you would do if it didnt' appear. There appears to be no control over balance so far from my perspective.
    08-17-13 02:57 PM
    ok just an update - I have learnt a few things in the past few days.

The balance partition is a subset of the functionality that you get if you have a full bes10. I have installed a trial bes10, and now I have the full experience. I'm not greatly impressed by what it offers on the playbook to be honest, and I haven't got my q10 back from the repair shop yet to try that.

I have a besx to compare it to, and what that offers in terms of functional drive mappings is fantastic - on bes10 I am unable to access my drive shares on the playbook, as the work drives app needed for it isn't available on the playbook. Frankly it gives me a very limited access to my 'intranet' for some reason - the work browser will not access sites on my internal network for no apparent reason that I can access when on wifi at home. some work, some do not, and no reason appears to present itself other than lack of reliability. These are fully accessible on a bold 9900 via bes on the handheld browser.

Customisablility via bes10 is probably the greatest strenght, one that I admit to being a bit of a heathen barbarian in my understanding of, and I'm sure what others can say is far more accurate. however, my summary is as follows;

balance partitioning occurs when an exchange account is added - no other features are present without a bes10
    bes10 at cost offers less for me than besx does for free on a handset and accessing those abilities via bridge
    Hardware requirements are higher at the server end, which may have a bearing on my experience.

I don't think I have much more to offer than that, but if anyone else has anything interesting to add, feel free - I believe my contributions can add no more I'm afraid.
    08-18-13 01:42 PM