After I downloaded a unit conversion calculator in app world, I swiped down while using the native PB calculator and found a tip, scientific, and unit converter! Nice find!
    kretch and peterco like this.
    08-22-12 09:51 PM
    Yep. Even your 9800 has a unit converter too.
    08-22-12 10:27 PM
    Doesn't every calculator on a BB have a converter now?

One of the first things I do whenever I go into a new app is swipe down from the top bezel....just to see if there are any goodies hiding under there.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-22-12 11:01 PM
    Doesn't every calculator on a BB have a converter now?

One of the first things I do whenever I go into a new app is swipe down from the top bezel....just to see if there are any goodies hiding under there.
    Yep - me too.
    08-22-12 11:40 PM
    After I downloaded a unit conversion calculator in app world, I swiped down while using the native PB calculator and found a tip, scientific, and unit converter! Nice find!
    I think the PB native calculator is excellent and I use it quite a bit, in its various forms.
    08-22-12 11:41 PM
    Don't forget about the BEZEL GESTURES on Playbook. All the necessary calculators are there for you to use.

There's also a Tip calculator, and Scientific Calculator.
    08-22-12 11:53 PM
    Martindale's Calculators On-Line Center

Lots and lots of on-line calculators. This even has a tip calculator for politicians no matter where in the world you come across them. (probably not)

Just going to martindalecenter.com has a lot more besides calculators.
    08-23-12 12:28 AM
    I was unaware at the beginning so then I got Unit converter, but just so many options and unnecessary conversions in there, made me get rid of it.

I am back to the Native calculator. It's fabulous and I believe it's a TAT thing..
    08-23-12 03:07 AM
    Why would anyone with a sixth grade education need a Tip calculator if he had a simple basic one?
    08-23-12 04:37 AM
    I think the PB native calculator is excellent and I use it quite a bit, in its various forms.
    The native PB calculator is very good.

The native calculator on their phones (at least on my 9650 OS6) are seriously flawed. They don't follow the basic order of operations math rules:

Enter 3 + 4 x 2 on both the PB and BB calculators. The PB gives the correct answer of 11. The BB calculator gives the incorrect answer of 14.

The order of operation rules are:
    Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
    Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
    Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

I would not trust any calculations on the native BB phone calculators.

--Ariel
    08-23-12 07:10 AM
    There's nothing about not trusting the BB phone calculators. They are not even giving wrong calculations.

It's a basic calculator and you should know better that parentheses, etc. are not applicable on a basic calculator. You cannot enter an equation in the BB phone calculator whereas the PlayBook let's you enter equations.

3 + 4 x 2 = 14 is correct and so is 3 + 4 x 2 = 11...
    08-23-12 07:34 AM
    The pb calc is missing hex conversions.
    cletis likes this.
    08-23-12 08:37 AM
    Nothing is perfect!
    08-23-12 08:39 AM
    Lots of calculators in the the BB app world including RPN HP12 and also HP15 clone calculators. Many are free. Also the BBPB tip calculator allows calculations for a group of people- possibly convenient for group luncheons etc.
    08-23-12 11:39 AM
    There's nothing about not trusting the BB phone calculators. They are not even giving wrong calculations.

It's a basic calculator and you should know better that parentheses, etc. are not applicable on a basic calculator. You cannot enter an equation in the BB phone calculator whereas the PlayBook let's you enter equations.

3 + 4 x 2 = 14 is correct and so is 3 + 4 x 2 = 11...
    No. It's poor programming. The Windows "basic" calculator still follows the math rules. The cheap little calculators you find at the dollar stores still follow the math rules.

3 + 4 x 2 should not equal 14, ever.
    Scotter75 likes this.
    08-23-12 08:38 PM
    No. It's poor programming. The Windows "basic" calculator still follows the math rules. The cheap little calculators you find at the dollar stores still follow the math rules.

I just realized that not only do I suck at math, but I am horrified to think I might have overpaid for something in my pathetic lack of math rules life. Holy crap.

PS. I still couldn't figure out how you came up with that crack answer until I googled it and saw the breakdown of equation. Then remembered high school. Then remembered grade school. Then I remembered why I liked playing sports. I was good at that.

PSS. If anyone needs a used keyboard missing the number keys that I thought were my friends, please feel to let me know.

PSSS. Can't blame my brain. It already knew it was dumb.
    08-23-12 08:51 PM

Really not worth a discussion.. There are calculators and then calculators.. Just get yourself a better calculator from the App world for free..

Different calculators follow different orders of operations. Most non-scientific calculators without a stack work left to right without any priority given to different operators, for example giving
    The calculator on my Windows gives me a 14. Sigh..
    08-24-12 12:08 AM
    Really not worth a discussion.. There are calculators and then calculators.. Just get yourself a better calculator from the App world for free..

The calculator on my Windows gives me a 14. Sigh..
    Yes, I already got a better calculator from App World that knows the math rules.

I was mistaken with my Windows basic calculator statement. If you choose the "Scientific" view, it gives you the correct answer of 11. If you choose the "Standard" view, it gives the answer of 14.
    08-24-12 08:21 AM
    BB10.
    You are wrong. The correct answer is 11
    08-24-12 08:29 AM
    BB10 is not wrong because BB10 calculator gives the answer as 11. You mean OS7 and Windows are wrong. Well even they aren't..
    08-24-12 10:28 AM
    A basic calculator works one step at a time not by setting up a calculation invoving many steps. Enter 3, +, 4, * , 2 . After the 4 is added 7 will be in the register. Thus times 2 gives 14. So what is wrong with that?
    08-24-12 11:30 AM
    The cheap little calculators you find at the dollar stores still follow the math rules.
    Not in my experience.
    08-24-12 04:29 PM
    I just realized that not only do I suck at math, but I am horrified to think I might have overpaid for something in my pathetic lack of math rules life. Holy crap.

PS. I still couldn't figure out how you came up with that crack answer until I googled it and saw the breakdown of equation. Then remembered high school. Then remembered grade school. Then I remembered why I liked playing sports. I was good at that.

PSS. If anyone needs a used keyboard missing the number keys that I thought were my friends, please feel to let me know.

PSSS. Can't blame my brain. It already knew it was dumb.
    Think you meant PPS and PPPS. I guess in addition to algebraic order of operations, you're also unclear on archaic and obscure written annotation syntax. (But at least in that last, you're in the vast majority.)
    Last edited by cletis; 08-24-12 at 04:55 PM.
    08-24-12 04:39 PM
    A basic calculator works one step at a time not by setting up a calculation invoving many steps. Enter 3, +, 4, * , 2 . After the 4 is added 7 will be in the register. Thus times 2 gives 14. So what is wrong with that?
    I think you know exactly what it is that is wrong with that, and your comment merely serves to demonstrate that you know how a simple, single-registered, non-RPN calculator is implemented. So noted.
    08-24-12 04:53 PM
    Wooooohoooo we have scientists in here who use Basic calculators and complaint about it!
    08-25-12 12:22 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD