I think this is a pretty rare case but thought I'd share!

After 20 days of losing my playbook (Since October 13), today, I've finally got my playbook returned.

My old playbook has been starving of juice, so priority charging !

----

So what happened was, I was travelling to get a haircut taking various form of public transit (TTC/ViVa), then finally went to my destination. Now I have quite a good backpack, got a sidepocket where I can easily slip my playbook. But apparently it was so tiny and portable, it fell out (lol).

I had no personal information there, but I did spend a ton of time organizing the playbook to the way I want. I have over 16,000 pictures. Stuff I've taken for the past 10 years all on my playbook because I enjoy sharing it ! Playbook's portability is unmatched and the tiny weight makes carrying the playbook over any photobooks

So after 2hrs, I left the salon and realized my bag was opened.... I was like.. shoot... did someone steal it? :x I start thinking.. it couldn't have been the case because.. I remember all the position I sat on the subway/bus and it would be impossible to reach. I was sleeping but my hand had a 9900, which would have been an easy target to steal rather than slipping into my bag for a playbook (which he didn't know if there was even anything there).

I start moving my phone around the mall and anywhere I walked... and the "bridge icon" never came up... I thought.. yea I'd probably lose it. I gave up, hurry rush home.

I then made a quick website to inform people if they return it, I'd treat em something good

Find Mai PlayBook | Find my playbook please ;; Toronto

I posted on craigslist, redflagdeals (which.. they deleted because I was... selling stuff? lol), howardforums, kijiji etc. I made it clear I dropped it and reward if returned.

I left my twitter/facebook password unchanged so if the person do have the intention of returning it, they would have message me.

I filed police report (not by dialing 911 lol), reported to the TTC as well as VIVA lost and found... 14 days went by, nothing was found.

I then went out and got my SECOND playbook (yes, I already knew OS2 was delayed at that point, I evaluated all other tabs, I stuck with the playbook again)

(Despite all my coworker told me that playbook/blackberry is crap etc, get "anything" but the playbook all that stuff... playbook again XD)

So I got my second playbook, even met a wonderful guy who kinda gave me a good career counseling (lol) so I was like meh, even though I paid for another playbook.. I got good counseling so I made a deal anyway

---- 20 days later ----

I received an email from "Test New"

"You lost your playbook tablet
    I found it on the ground.
    I checked it and found this email address.
    Just wondering how can I return it to you"

I asked for phone number, he didn't give it to me :P i gave him my phone number and he didn't call.

His name is Test New. So is it Mr. Test? or Mr New lol...

I use another email all over internet to contact me if found..

This guy used a very unique email (and remember, bridge is offline)

I left twitter/facebook password unchanged as they were auto signed-in on playbook, yet no dice. I thought they would have formatted the playbook by now.

----

This guy ended up going to youtube, learning gestures, pull up the about menu and found my

BLACKBERRY ID!

NO WAY LOL! He used that to contact me, so I was pretty sure he got my playbook '~"

Friend met up with him (I had work), and he just... gave it to my friend. He actually went through all that trouble, to return a playbook? I originally was going to reward a playbook, but it was past the date that I thought somebody would returned it. I opened the playbook :x but I did leave a message as well as an email saying I'd still offer a sightseeing flight as agreed!

He said he took a lot of time to learn how to use the playbook, to get it back to me. I did take a look at browsing history and that guy literally, didn't use it (or maybe he's that good already, to partially delete surf history). Everything was in tact, data etc. Not much personal things was on there, just... u know... sucks lol!

----

So... here's a few thoughts

If I had password my playbook, he would have had no way to find out my ID. Since after 5 attempt it would have self wipe. There is no "If found please return to" displayed on tablet. So that's out of the the door.

If it was an iPad... I'd probably won't see it.

If it had remote wipe, I would have not see it again.

BACKUP lol! I know it's like 64GB... but it's well worth it, should you decide to get another. It was a pain to re-setup... almost to the stage I kinda gave up...

So... yea, guess I'm one lucky person to have gotten my playbook back. Everything fell into place. Especially it got picked up by the right person, with the right intent. My playbook was in the right setup (no password), with enough juice till he learns how to use it... find my blackberry ID and returned it!

If you're reading it, thanks Vincent! I left you a message / email and would still take you up for a niagara falls flight!

Thanks for listening! Playbook all the way!

AND AWESOME PEOPLE DO EXIST! Please return stuff when you find them... it is very touchy... seriously. The utility that one's get from getting their lost gadgets back is just... no word can describe xD!
    Last edited by Maiev; 11-04-11 at 02:16 AM.
    Cracklen, jermand, John.P and 27 others like this.
    11-04-11 01:45 AM
    Cool story man...did you reward him? Hopefully yes??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 01:50 AM
    Cool story man...did you reward him? Hopefully yes??

I didn't meet him in person, but I did leave him a voicemail, as well as wrote him an email.

I really want to reward him !
    11-04-11 01:51 AM
    Great story, now what will you do with 2 pbs?
    11-04-11 01:53 AM
    I didn't meet him in person, but I did leave him a voicemail, as well as wrote him an email.

I really want to reward him !
    One good turn deserves another! Hope you manage to return the favour and do something nice for him Great news on it being returned!

11-04-11 01:53 AM
    I don't know. I snatch a 16gb playbook for my sister when it was good deal. Mom got an ipad, brother too much of an apple fanboy to use my "spare" playbook....

It was a gift so I don't wanna sell it .....

I don't know '~" lol
    11-04-11 01:54 AM
    As crazy as it sounds, I've already saturated all possible playbook owners to snatch a playbook when it was cheap at work / friends.... so yea lol... this is going to be a hard !
    11-04-11 01:57 AM
    Cool story. I lock my PB with a password, so I think I'm going to put my contact info on the wallpaper so that it can be seen when the lock is active.
    11-04-11 02:01 AM

no, srsly, cool story. glad you got your playbook back! i can only wish if i ever lose mine, i'd get it returned. i recently found someones nexus phone at a target restroom who used 0000 as the password....i posted on his facebook that the owner of the account left his phone at target and to return to pick it up. hour later he came by and got his phone back that was loaded with family pictures.

anyways, hopefully i wont even have such a scare as to lose my playbook but yeah... glad you got yours back.
    adamman likes this.
    11-04-11 02:02 AM
    There are still good people out there. Very cool.
    Maiev likes this.
    11-04-11 02:03 AM
    That's awesome, there are still some good people in this world.
    11-04-11 02:08 AM
    Wow.. That's insane.. I remember seeing the subject line for your original message and thinking "There's no way he's getting that back..."

Glad to hear it all worked out!
    11-04-11 02:12 AM
    I didn't know I had precious photo that I've taken on my playbook... it was nice to have them back :3

The playbook camera doesn't suck xD it does take good pic lol
    11-04-11 02:15 AM
    awesome story - happy for you!

lucky someone found it that was tech savvy enough to know how to find the BBID!

A good case for keeping personal and important PIM and email data on the phone password protected, while leaving the playbook unsecured for this. Keep pics and stuff in box.net....

This makes me happy for bridge....
    11-04-11 02:19 AM
    I don't know. I snatch a 16gb playbook for my sister when it was good deal. Mom got an ipad, brother too much of an apple fanboy to use my "spare" playbook....

It was a gift so I don't wanna sell it .....

I don't know '~" lol
    maybe you could give it to this guy....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...o-much-666660/

wait maybe you could find some 3D video content and hold one up in front of each eye?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-04-11 at 02:32 AM.
    blemoon42 likes this.
    11-04-11 02:28 AM
    great, positive story. i am so happy that there are still decent people in this world. i wish there were more Vincents outthere though. congrats op.
    11-04-11 02:40 AM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    One good turn deserves another! Hope you manage to return the favour and do something nice for him Great news on it being returned!

I hear Playbooks make awesome gifts
    11-04-11 02:46 AM
    developers need to develop a message on the lock screen , if found contact "email or mobile phone" above the space of password
    11-04-11 04:35 AM
    I lol'd at the CSB picture. SO BIG. (inb4 that's what she said).

But wow! Congratulations

Note: I like that teemo picture you have LoL fan? Hit me up!
    11-04-11 05:00 AM
    Teemo wallpaper ftw!!!
    11-04-11 05:11 AM
    Congrats on getting your PB back!

I remember a couple of years back, my wife left her lunch bag with her iPod in it on the subway. I thought for sure it would be gone (it was a new iPod 5G back then), so I was amazed when we checked TTC lost and found just for kicks and got it back! Looks like Toronto's the place to be if you lose your electronics :P (No, I don't actually believe that, but it is I guess not the worst place to lose things...)
    11-04-11 07:46 AM
    Mine is also password protected. But I like the idea of adding something to the wallpaper. I have personal screen savers in my Kindle3 and I did add an email address to each of those. So I could do it to the pb.

Or I guess I could slip a card into the back of my Otterbox. I think breaking the password of the pb is easier than figuring out how to open a pb otterbox!
    11-04-11 09:12 AM
    I think this is a pretty rare case but thought I'd share!
    I'd think hard about giving it to the guy who found it. Or seeing if he will buy it for $50 from you. He went to all that work learn and use it and return it. I would say a big reward is deserved.

Or, you can sell it to me for cheap - and split the cash with him! I have a dire need of a second PlayBook for a developer friend looking to work on the PlayBook.
    11-04-11 09:48 AM
    Hehe Yea I'm quite a LoL fan now In fact, the other wallpaper on the right is Karma

Anyway... he never took any offer that I gave.... or so it seems so far. I don't think I'd sell it... simply because it was a gift to me....

Though I have to day, my 3rd playbook (i originally had a 16, returned it for a 64), had pretty bad buttons. The latest one I bought.. the button pops up quite good !

Maybe I'd swap this extra 64gb with my sister's 16gb, then give that one away or something :3
    KermEd likes this.
    11-04-11 10:00 AM
    glad to know there still are good people out there
    11-04-11 10:25 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD