Hey all - I apologize if this topic has been hammered into the ground but I cant seem to find a consistent thread or article to help me with my situation, so Im hoping to get some of your expertise.

I just bought a playbook, and this is my first tablet. I love it, its ridiculously fluid and I was excited and patient to move into the next year as the apps and software advanced...

However, my family member came to me this morning reading an article in the paper about RIM being bought out (this time the rumor says Amazon).

So I have a few questions and please pardon my techy ignorance

If RIM is bought out, would this be a good or bad thing? Are we facing possible discontinuation of the Playbook? A stop of OS upgrades? App upgrades? Im wondering if this little wonder tablet will be left behind and all of us who adore it will be stuck with an idle piece of hardware. I really hope not

Any input would help, I really dont want to return this tablet, but I coughed up a nice chunk of money that I really didnt have in the first place (ouch!!) and it would be sad to see my investment fly out the window.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Zsuzsa_sz; 12-22-11 at 12:59 PM.
    jigga2 likes this.
    12-22-11 12:55 PM
    To be honest if RIM went down tomorrow i would be happy with my PB.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-22-11 01:07 PM
    To be honest if RIM went down tomorrow i would be happy with my PB.
    This is good to know! But can you elaborate?
    12-22-11 01:10 PM
    This is good to know! But can you elaborate?
    Well i got mine to surf the web and receive and send emails via gmail.

I don't have a blackberry phone so i don't need any native email apps.

My PB does all i want of it.

But here's hoping OS 2 will bring more goodies and that RIM are still around then at least.
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 01:14 PM
    I'm hoping they don't get bought out before Feb..I doubt a new owner would support a device almost a year old.
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 01:15 PM
    Pick any one of a million scenarios if RIM got bought out. This is so speculative at this point that it is really difficult to say.

I don't think any potential sale/JV/partnership would preempt the next OS release for the PlayBook.
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 01:26 PM
    Well i got mine to surf the web and receive and send emails via gmail.

I don't have a blackberry phone so i don't need any native email apps.

My PB does all i want of it.

But here's hoping OS 2 will bring more goodies and that RIM are still around then at least.
    I totally agree with cogsinister. Everything else I find to do on.my pb is just icing.
    12-22-11 01:36 PM
    Same here.
    12-22-11 01:37 PM
    Thanks for the input so far on a rather speculative subject -- i know its tough to say...

So from what Im understanding at this point the PB could potentially be laid to rest, as it seems counterproductive to invest time on a new OS/new updates on old hardware.
    12-22-11 01:39 PM
    Right now all we know is that there are interested parties, but no concrete evidence that RIM will be bought out. So I wouldn't worry about it.

If I were to buy it, I'd likely split out BES/BIS from the hardware. I'm not sure the PB would survive, based on cost of goods and the current selling price, which is too low.
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 01:41 PM
    I don't think they are going to get bought out, well not for awhile. I think there is a conspiracy to bring RIM shares down and later be bought out by an American company.

Overall RIM is still doing pretty well on different parts of the globe. Their shareholders mentioned they want to wait until the company transition is over until they consider a buy out. Hopefully the transition goes well for them.
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 02:04 PM
    This rumor has been out for too long already, and the true story that RIM rejected Amazon's overtures is even older and way past last month's news.
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 02:24 PM
    This rumor has been out for too long already, and the true story that RIM rejected Amazon's overtures is even older and way past last month's news.
    And it just made it into the local paper today, funny how "word spreads."

Thanks again for all your input -

Im still all ears for further opinions.
    12-22-11 02:28 PM
    Hey all - I apologize if this topic has been hammered into the ground but I cant seem to find a consistent thread or article to help me with my situation, so Im hoping to get some of your expertise.

I just bought a playbook, and this is my first tablet. I love it, its ridiculously fluid and I was excited and patient to move into the next year as the apps and software advanced...

However, my family member came to me this morning reading an article in the paper about RIM being bought out (this time the rumor says Amazon).

So I have a few questions and please pardon my techy ignorance

If RIM is bought out, would this be a good or bad thing? Are we facing possible discontinuation of the Playbook? A stop of OS upgrades? App upgrades? Im wondering if this little wonder tablet will be left behind and all of us who adore it will be stuck with an idle piece of hardware. I really hope not

Any input would help, I really dont want to return this tablet, but I coughed up a nice chunk of money that I really didnt have in the first place (ouch!!) and it would be sad to see my investment fly out the window.

Thanks everyone!
    thats not goin to happen!.. for your information RIM is only behind in usa, they are like GOD in indonesia and india, they will survive to bring bb 10 and make a big come back in usa. please dont let them confused you, is true the misery in USA but RIM is not only here, and even like that they manage to sell millions of phones every quarter even with old phones, i dont see a company like RIM with 70 millions costumers being bought by no body any time soon!! amazon wish they could have those 70 millions costumers but thats not happening! lol!
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 02:40 PM
    If the buyer stopped support for the playbook they would probably fire sale the rest of the inventory (i believe there are a lot more based on RIMs recent writedown). So there would be millions of playbooks without a supported platform. I believe this would provide impetus for someone to develop an android port. So the worst case scenario is you would be running ICS eventually on the Playbook..
    Zsuzsa_sz likes this.
    12-22-11 03:09 PM
    If the buyer stopped support for the playbook they would probably fire sale the rest of the inventory (i believe there are a lot more based on RIMs recent writedown). So there would be millions of playbooks without a supported platform. I believe this would provide impetus for someone to develop an android port. So the worst case scenario is you would be running ICS eventually on the Playbook..
    I would rather run QNX as it is now and unsupported than run Android on my PB.
    12-22-11 03:14 PM
    Its becoming more apparent to me now...

This is why its difficult to take anything the media says seriously. The majority of what we hear is all marketing, made to stimulate our senses. The info we hear is mainly biased in favor to what company is "on top" or who has the most money to cut out the little man.

When I decided to go with the Playbook it wasn't based on the polished article reviews, rather I focused on what the real people were saying, and it was just absolutely incredible how many people love the PB in full integrity - so much they are willing to sacrifice delays in the new OS and apps for a stellar performing piece of machinery - and yet the mainstream basically pooped all over it. This smells fishy doesn't it? So I cant help myself - but I believe RIM is getting the s*it end of this deal.

Its a cut-throat industry - a catch 22 - where conspiracy exists concealing the race to the top for power/money - chewing up the "little" guys, and yet this "corruption" creates a pushing of boundaries to put out exceptional technology. So hopefully, if we continue to support the "good" guys (I use good loosely), it will be enough where eventually the money/power game can end, and we can stick to why we're really here - to play!!!

I just want a good piece of technology without the drama, is that too much to ask? (ahhhh!!!!)

So after all of this - I know RIM is pissing off a lot of people, but I feel they are no monster, which is one reason I dont buy apple anymore (as i type on one, irony is funny sometimes).

I guess we wait and see - i feel after reading all pov's here, I think I will keep the tablet - I can always upgrade at a later time to something else, but im feeling I will be quite content with this gadget for a while.

Cheers
    12-22-11 03:18 PM
    I would rather run QNX as it is now and unsupported than run Android on my PB.
    It sounds like the OP is not satisfied with the current level of development. Android will be there if playbook OS gets stopped so there is some insurance on his investment.
    12-22-11 03:38 PM
    thats not goin to happen!.. for your information RIM is only behind in usa, they are like GOD in indonesia and india, they will survive to bring bb 10 and make a big come back in usa. please dont let them confused you, is true the misery in USA but RIM is not only here, and even like that they manage to sell millions of phones every quarter even with old phones, i dont see a company like RIM with 70 millions costumers being bought by no body any time soon!! amazon wish they could have those 70 millions costumers but thats not happening! lol!
    Rim is currently a tiny small bit player compared to Amazon.

At time of writing this...
    Rim Stock Price : $14.00 (all time High of $141.00) Marker Cap of $7.34 Billion.
    Amazon Stock Price : $179.03 Market Cap of $81.4 Billion.

Rim wish they were Amazon to be honest in terms of company value and financial strength.

Rim Stock Price will hit $12.00 very soon. It nearly happened the other day when it dipped to $12.46. The moment it stabilises under $12.00 I can see an aggressive takeover happen. Amazon, Microsoft and I hear Nokia are interested.

I don't think it is a will it happen but when.
    12-22-11 03:56 PM
    RIM can't be bought out. Like it or not RIM still is one of the (if not THE) major Canuckistanian tech companies, and the Canadian government would block the sale.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 04:17 PM
    Rim is currently a tiny small bit player compared to Amazon.

At time of writing this...
    Rim Stock Price : $14.00 (all time High of $141.00) Marker Cap of $7.34 Billion.
    Amazon Stock Price : $179.03 Market Cap of $81.4 Billion.

Rim wish they were Amazon to be honest in terms of company value and financial strength.

Rim Stock Price will hit $12.00 very soon. It nearly happened the other day when it dipped to $12.46. The moment it stabilises under $12.00 I can see an aggressive takeover happen. Amazon, Microsoft and I hear Nokia are interested.

I don't think it is a will it happen but when.
    RIM is primarily a Cellular company.

Amazon is just now branching out to tablets.

You have to remember that to all of the other companies, cellphones and tablets only account for a fraction of their revenue.
    12-22-11 04:21 PM
    Let's face it if RIM went down there is nothing we can do about it! So lets continue to promote RIM buy their products and we can cross that bridge when we get there! Geeez I need a sarsaparilla...
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-22-11 04:21 PM
    I imagine things would be almost similar as to what happened when HP said to heck with the touchpad...
    12-22-11 04:42 PM
    don't worry, be happy......but if you are really desperate to worry about something....still this not it........you can't even worry about this, never gonna happen.......
    12-22-11 04:52 PM
    Let's face it if RIM went down there is nothing we can do about it! So lets continue to promote RIM buy their products and we can cross that bridge when we get there! Geeez I need a sarsaparilla...
    Screw the sasparilla...I'm gonna' pour me a Jack and Coke right now before I take care of the migraine I feel a comin'.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-22-11 04:55 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD