UPDATE: As it turns out the headline to the BI article was not true at all. Raymond was never an executive at RIM. He was an employee within the corporate development and M&A division. He also never said the PlayBook would flop. He just stated the challenges that lay ahead for RIM with the impending release of the PlayBook and never said whether or not he thinks the PlayBook will be a success or a failure.

Raymond Reddy, a former corporate development and M&A employee at RIM lays out challenges for the BlackBerry PlayBook. He left in 2008 to start his own company, PushLife, a music software company that makes syncing easy across mobile platforms.

His reasons:
    1. The PlayBook may be late. Reddy says it's proving more difficult than RIM expected to port the traditional BlackBerry interface and experience -- including the all-important email app -- to the new QNX operating system used by the PlayBook.

2. It won't have many third-party apps at launch. Same reason -- convincing developers to port their apps from the BlackBerry OS to QNX is a tough proposition. (Although RIM may get around this by including an Android emulation layer, according to RBC Dominion analyst Mike Abramsky.)

3. The first Wi-Fi-only version won't be able to connect to a lot of corporate BlackBerry email accounts unless the user also has a BlackBerry phone near the PlayBook and uses the PlayBook's tethering capability.

He also adds that moving to QNX was the right thing for RIM to do in the long run -- it's more efficient, which is critical for battery life. But the transition isn't going to be quick or easy.

Former RIM Employee Highlights Playbook Challenges
    Last edited by CASH; 01-11-11 at 02:03 PM.
    01-10-11 05:50 PM
    waiting for the post where, BB die hards will say he's just mad and its not true. for get the fact that he worked from BB/RIM. The only person that is ever right is a BB end user that can't face the facts.

*i will be flamed in 5 4 3 2...*
    01-10-11 06:03 PM
    Number 3 is the killer for me. The Playbook needs to be device that can stand on its own and not be dependent on a BB.

The diehards posted on the original article....
    Last edited by evangothard; 01-10-11 at 06:11 PM.
    01-10-11 06:07 PM
    Number 3 is the killer for me. The Playbook needs to be device that can stand on its own and not be dependent on a BB.
    It can stand on its own. You only "tether" to view your BlackBerry smartphone emails, BBM, calendar, contacts tasks, notes.
    01-10-11 06:10 PM
    Raymond Reddy, a former corporate development executive at RIM says the PlayBook will flop. He left in 2008 to start his own company, PushLife, a music software company that makes syncing easy across mobile platforms.

His reasons:
    1. The PlayBook may be late. Reddy says it's proving more difficult than RIM expected to port the traditional BlackBerry interface and experience -- including the all-important email app -- to the new QNX operating system used by the PlayBook.

2. It won't have many third-party apps at launch. Same reason -- convincing developers to port their apps from the BlackBerry OS to QNX is a tough proposition. (Although RIM may get around this by including an Android emulation layer, according to RBC Dominion analyst Mike Abramsky.)

3. The first Wi-Fi-only version won't be able to connect to a lot of corporate BlackBerry email accounts unless the user also has a BlackBerry phone near the PlayBook and uses the PlayBook's tethering capability.

He also adds that moving to QNX was the right thing for RIM to do in the long run -- it's more efficient, which is critical for battery life. But the transition isn't going to be quick or easy.

Former RIM Exec Says Playbook Is Going To Flop

my only real issue is point #3,
    NO one can connect to a Blackberry email account without having a blackberry in the first place, and what corporate user is trying to access their email when away from their phone?

Apart from that it is all great speculation from a Former employee looking to generate a name for his software company,

I don't think the Playbook will be a success like the iPad, but I really can't see it being a flop,
    I cant seeing it being a complete flop, IMO its still great for those with a BB and looks like solid device and its much better than it looked a couple weeks ago. I still find it dissappointing that if you are on wifi, you will still need your BB for the bridge, that seems counterproductive. Other than the limited app selection in the beginning and the email/calender/etc pairing it looks great.

The hardware that looked fantastic 3 months ago has lost its edge but is still right there with every other serious tablet. I just wish they had a phone with the same hardware profile to play with the androids and iphones of today
    I personally had some of the same fears as Mr. Reddy pointed out... I just think the Playbook is too late in the game (also the size is an issue for me).

QNX seems like an awesome OS... but with android and iOS I just feel like it should have been something that was already available on phones early this year. Also, interestingly enough, both Android(google) and Apple went from a phone-sized OS and tweaked it to create a tablet OS... RIM is doing the opposite. I'm interested to see how that plan works in the long run... hopefully its easier to down-size a tablet OS and create a stable phone OS...

Playbook looks really cool, but it just seems that it does everything a phone SHOULD do, but in a slightly bigger screen. The one thing that I really like about the iPad is that it really is a stand-alone device... I use it as my school laptop and it has all of my notes (thanks to the many AMAZING note taking apps), and that is something that I don't think the Playbook will be good for... its more of a 'display' to zoom in on what your phone screen shows...

Just my opinion.
    01-10-11 06:12 PM
    waiting for the post where, BB die hards will say he's just mad and its not true. for get the fact that he worked from BB/RIM. The only person that is ever right is a BB end user that can't face the facts.

*i will be flamed in 5 4 3 2...*
    Yeah, nevermnd the fact that he's been out of the loop since '08.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-10-11 06:13 PM
    Very good point. RIM said they have been developing the PlayBook for about 2-3 years, but we all know that's a lie.
    01-10-11 06:16 PM
    the 3g version later next year hasnt sprint already announced the 4g version this summer what a flop of an article
    01-10-11 06:18 PM
    unless the bridge software absolutely sucks, I don't understand why people are so up in arms over the fact that emails, calenders etc. don't sync directly with the playbook. What is the big effing deal?
    01-10-11 06:26 PM
    the 3g version later next year hasnt sprint already announced the 4g version this summer what a flop of an article
    I didn't even notice that. I just told him about it, so it should be updated soon.
    01-10-11 06:27 PM
    unless the bridge software absolutely sucks, I don't understand why people are so up in arms over the fact that emails, calenders etc. don't sync directly with the playbook. What is the big effing deal?
    This baffles me as well. I know it is honestly a big deal to some but I don't get why.
    01-10-11 06:28 PM
    First comment that crossed my mind. He's been gone since the release of 8330, when it was state of the art.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 06:32 PM
    Many of the people complaining are no longer BB users, OR are looking at moving away from BB in the next 6 months

THAT is why they complain, those of us With BB's don't seem to have as much of an issue with it
    01-10-11 06:32 PM
    This baffles me as well. I know it is honestly a big deal to some but I don't get why.
    i think its because it feels like you cant have the playbook with out the BB phone... the playbook is just a cool device and not really efficient for anyone that wants that BB email service.
    01-10-11 06:36 PM
    Many of the people complaining are no longer BB users, OR are looking at moving away from BB in the next 6 months

THAT is why they complain, those of us With BB's don't seem to have as much of an issue with it
    Not sure if that statement was partially directed at me, because my post did have some complaints about the PB... but I'm planning on sticking with BB through it all. I like the iPad, but would never get an iPhone... Android annoys me, and I love BBM and a bunch of the functionality of my Blackberry (only problem I have is how slow and laggy it is because of outdated specs). The playbook just doesn't do it for me in a tablet... imo its just a big screen to display your BB info and browse the web ... but I feel as though RIM should have tackled that aspect with their phones first (a touch device with PB specs except in a phone-sized package).
    01-10-11 06:38 PM

why wouldn't you have an issue? its like the playbook becomes obsolete almost. If i need to sync my BB phone to get email to my playbook I'll just use my BB phone to send the email!
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-10-11 06:38 PM
    I second this emotion.
    01-10-11 06:39 PM
    because essentially this device is for BB owners and nobody else. People don't understand that marketing decision. All the bloggers are baffled by it. You would have to be nuts to buy this thing if you used Android or IOS or even Wp7.
    01-10-11 06:43 PM
    Not sure if that statement was partially directed at me, because my post did have some complaints about the PB... but I'm planning on sticking with BB through it all. I like the iPad, but would never get an iPhone... Android annoys me, and I love BBM and a bunch of the functionality of my Blackberry (only problem I have is how slow and laggy it is because of outdated specs). The playbook just doesn't do it for me in a tablet... imo its just a big screen to display your BB info and browse the web ... but I feel as though RIM should have tackled that aspect with their phones first (a touch device with PB specs except in a phone-sized package).
    Not directed at you at all, you didn't really complain about tethering,
    you are welcome to want an iPad, or Android Tablet, I'd not want a tablet that size, it is great that their are options!

why wouldn't you have an issue? its like the playbook becomes obsolete almost. If i need to sync my BB phone to get email to my playbook I'll just use my BB phone to send the email!
    depends on the type of emails you get, I really don't think I would use the Playbook for the bulk of my emails, it has no physical keyboard! but when I get drawings from Engineering, or multi workbook spreadsheets, I very much want the playbook for opening those and manipulating them. it is a complementary device to me, not a Standalone, as I couldn't go all touch screen, just can't do it.
    01-10-11 06:44 PM
    because essentially this device is for BB owners and nobody else. People don't understand that marketing decision. All the bloggers are baffled by it. You would have to be nuts to buy this thing if you used Android or IOS or even Wp7.
    +1

I very much agree, the WiFi version of the Playbook is ONLY for existing Blackberry users, and that is how it should be looked at,

it is Blackberry Amplified! that was how it was introduced, and that is how is should be viewed
    01-10-11 06:46 PM
    Other than the limited app selection in the beginning
    id love to see the basis for your comment. you have (and nor do i) any indication of how many apps have been / are being developed for the playbook.

everyone needs to realise its a different development platform to the current BB OS so using the current catalog as an example is flawed
    01-10-11 06:46 PM
    Not directed at you at all, you didn't really complain about tethering,
    you are welcome to want an iPad, or Android Tablet, I'd not want a tablet that size, it is great that their are options!

depends on the type of emails you get, I really don't think I would use the Playbook for the bulk of my emails, it has no physical keyboard! but when I get drawings from Engineering, or multi workbook spreadsheets, I very much want the playbook for opening those and manipulating them. it is a complementary device to me, not a Standalone, as I couldn't go all touch screen, just can't do it.
    exactly, you are the perfect end user for the Playbook! how many BB users are like you and is going to use the device in that way. Im not saying I know numbers but im pretty sure the percentage has got to be very very low.
    01-10-11 06:49 PM
    +1

I very much agree, the WiFi version of the Playbook is ONLY for existing Blackberry users, and that is how it should be looked at,

it is Blackberry Amplified! that was how it was introduced, and that is how is should be viewed
    I think its going to turn into a folio (think thats what it was called). not to diminish from its other features, which are excellent, but I just dont see this as being a success. Think theres too much competition.
    01-10-11 06:52 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD