Yep, I'm one of those...I had assumed that skype (and webex) was an option since it was on every other device, my bad really. I believe it was Benny Hill who had said "never assume anything because when you do you make an 'a**' out of 'u' and 'me'"

You would be a fool and probably not a very good businessman to spend +100 bucks a year on a service that is available for free!
    What service on the PB is free besides video chat ? Also you haven't really read what I wrote.
    03-16-12 01:50 PM
    skype is a deal breaker for me if i was to purchase my next tablet. i have friends and family all over the world and the skype is used by all. They are not all tech savvy but knows how to get around skype.
    03-16-12 01:52 PM
    Go purchase comwave for playbook and purchase it for your friends and family. Case closed!
    Oh, yeah, that's such an easy and workable solution.

"Hey, [family member], I know you use Skype for everyone else, but would you do me a favor? Install this app I threw away good money on and use it instead of Skype when you're video chatting with me, okay? Unless I'm at my PC, in which case I'll be using Skype too. How will you know? Uh, well, I guess you'll have to run it and Skype at the same time and, uh . . . yeah, I know, Uncle Earl did always say I was the dumbass of the family."
    03-16-12 01:56 PM
    Oh, yeah, that's such an easy and workable solution.
    Why not ? The way some are talking in here that they have a relative overseas yada yada with bad health and I can't skype with them yada yada. I'm just saying there is an alternative. Remember, once these relatives are gone, they are gone. I'd do anything to be able to talk with those I loved and passed on. So i guess you have a price tag on video chatting with ones that are ill. Shame on you and shame on the business man who spends $5 a day on coffee and wouldn't spend a nickle towards video chatting grandma yada yada because it's not being a good businessman. Honey Child Please !! lol
    03-16-12 02:06 PM
    Yeah why would anyone assume that Skype was going to be coming to the Playbook when RIM showed Playbook AppWorld screen shots before the Playbook was released with an app called Skype!?!? Did my research, unfortunately RIM was putting out misinformation.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-16-12 02:06 PM
    Eric doesn't understand that he is in the minority on this issue and believes everyone should have the same wants and needs as he.
    03-16-12 02:09 PM
    Eric doesn't understand that he is in the minority on this issue and believes everyone should have the same wants and needs as he.
    No James you're wrong. Heck, I would want skype also. I'm just not putting all my eggs in one basket. Got that? I just want those who sound like a broken record to realize there is more than just skype.
    03-16-12 02:27 PM
    ok I'm going to say this once again, BBM and video chat WILL have skype integration in it!! Will be available sometime either just before or after BB10 phones are released probably when the PB gets the BB10 OS update.

NO ONE needs to stay on skype as far as being connected on EVERY portable device. Until the tablet can 100% take over a laptop for EVERY single tidbit of stuff, all the so called road warriors are still carrying at least a laptop plus the PB.

It honestly comes down to lazyness as far as people not wanting to skype with their laptops especially if they are at home. Tablets are coming a long way, but they haven't gained enough ground yet or have the capabilities to over take the mobile market of laptops.

Sure we all want the ONE device to do everything and be in hand, but we are not there yet. So its just silly that everyone is moaning and ******** about not having skype when all you would really do is skype on your couch or bed or wherever, when your laptop or computer is probably less than 20ft away. Just my 2cents on this right now.

People want it because other devices have it (laptops, android, iOS) but its all for what? more convenience in a lazy world? People say the GEN Y's are now ruling the world, I'm a Gen X'er and we made the technology. Seriously, what would people do if skype on mobile platforms did NOT exist? I would tell you what they would do, live their lives normally.

I'm victim of it myself, but to see this connected generation sickens me. Gone are the days of taking the bus to or from school or work where people either talked to others or people listened to their walkmans, discmans or MP3 players. Kids are getting so obese now, they don't go outside and play anymore, they sit inside and play video games or txt non stop. Being connected has ruined relationships, health and your inner persona.

We don't need to be connected 24/7 to skype, or BBM or our phone. We think we do, but we really don't.
    03-16-12 02:36 PM
    Just to keep it simple, if these are important to you then you clearly didn't research before you bought. I bought my playbook because it is well built and does what it is intended to and does it well. If using Skype and Netflix was a major concern then you chose poorly. Clearly your "needs" and "wants" were ignored by even yourself. If I want to game I turn on my gaming PC, for my document/presentation needs I fire up my laptop. The playbook was designed and geared towards the professional and professionals aren't sitting around skyping or watching Netflix and if they are then they should be fired for not being productive. (yes there are exceptions)

I never said they wouldn't be nice but IMO having those 2 apps is like when you thought having a scanner would be awesome. Back in the day these scanners flew off the shelves and now everyone has a scanner they use once in a blue moon at best.

Finally, have I wanted to watch Netflix on it? Yes, then I realized I wasn't at work and used one of the MANY other options at my disposal. I would like them to make these apps for sure but at this point we're beating a dead horse with these threads that pop up daily.

"If using Skype [and Netflix] was a major concern then you chose poorly......"

Hello! When I was researching which tablet to purchase (before the original release of the PlayBook), RIM Execs were talking about Skype being on the PlayBook (along with DLNA and a host of other things)

My error was allowing brand loyalty to RIM to outweigh my usual scepticism of believing anything that Marketing people say

Skype is a very common tool used by Business people (especially those who travel a lot) - I have always believed that RIM's intended core market for the PlayBook is the Business User - so, along with RIM Execs spouting the word Skype when talking about the PlayBook (pre-launch) my natural assumption was that Skype would be on the tablet from day one...

I was shocked when my PlayBook was delivered to find out that it did not run Skype - my Brand Loyalty to RIM immediately dropped like a stone. I am sure that other Business Users were similarly shocked and also suffered a huge loss of goodwill towards RIM

If a company markets a product (pre-launch) as doing something - then that product should do that thing at the time of launch (and if not.... the company should provide a clear time line of when that functionality will be available) - to do otherwise is just abusing your customer-base
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-16-12 02:43 PM
    I wonder why people make efforts trying to demonstrate that Skype is not necessary (or at least strongly recommended) on a mobile device equipped with video chat hardware, and advertised as "business class".

My clients want me to have a Skype id, period. Even if half of Crackberry users continue denying that for ages it won't change anything to my business needs. And the business needs of my clients too, who are 100% indifferent to what is said on Crackberry.

It is not an absolute emergency for me because I carry a laptop in most circumstances when I need it, but certainly being able to use it on my light mobile device without having to open the laptop would be appreciable.

But anyway I need to have Skype. If I told my clients that I am unable to use Skype, I would certainly not sound very professional.
    BigAl_BB9900 and ambarmetta like this.
    03-16-12 03:00 PM
    It's not just Skype that's hype, but also video chat. I've had the capability for years on my computer, but never made use of it. Same with on my phone, that's not going to change with the PlayBook.
    03-16-12 03:06 PM
    ok I'm going to say this once again, BBM and video chat WILL have skype integration in it!! Will be available sometime either just before or after BB10 phones are released probably when the PB gets the BB10 OS update.

NO ONE needs to stay on skype as far as being connected on EVERY portable device. Until the tablet can 100% take over a laptop for EVERY single tidbit of stuff, all the so called road warriors are still carrying at least a laptop plus the PB.

It honestly comes down to lazyness as far as people not wanting to skype with their laptops especially if they are at home. Tablets are coming a long way, but they haven't gained enough ground yet or have the capabilities to over take the mobile market of laptops.

Sure we all want the ONE device to do everything and be in hand, but we are not there yet. So its just silly that everyone is moaning and ******** about not having skype when all you would really do is skype on your couch or bed or wherever, when your laptop or computer is probably less than 20ft away. Just my 2cents on this right now.

People want it because other devices have it (laptops, android, iOS) but its all for what? more convenience in a lazy world? People say the GEN Y's are now ruling the world, I'm a Gen X'er and we made the technology. Seriously, what would people do if skype on mobile platforms did NOT exist? I would tell you what they would do, live their lives normally.

I'm victim of it myself, but to see this connected generation sickens me. Gone are the days of taking the bus to or from school or work where people either talked to others or people listened to their walkmans, discmans or MP3 players. Kids are getting so obese now, they don't go outside and play anymore, they sit inside and play video games or txt non stop. Being connected has ruined relationships, health and your inner persona.

We don't need to be connected 24/7 to skype, or BBM or our phone. We think we do, but we really don't.
    So the Playbook will be getting Skype in 2013? How nice. I'll be using a Windows 8 tablet by then. Guess I'll continue using Skype on my Windows Phone in the mean time.
    03-16-12 03:16 PM
    It's not just Skype that's hype, but also video chat. I've had the capability for years on my computer, but never made use of it. Same with on my phone, that's not going to change with the PlayBook.
    Your experience does not represent everyone's.
    03-16-12 03:18 PM
    Your experience does not represent everyone's.
    his experience represents the Majority though. and software is designed for the majority.
    Take the UK network "3"
    it started up with its advertising for video calls, the novelty soon wore off, and they nearly went under, if it wasnt for the last minute network speed increase giving them the fastest mobile broadband in the country they would be gone already.

Video calling, is currently a niche market. even on Skype most people just use it for IM. and when FB Chat came on the scene, skype died off a lot.

Its possible something like FB Video chat will eventually be pushed forward and make videochat worthwhile, but as for tablets, while ever you or the tablet have to be (ideally)stationary to make the whole thing worthwhile, IM will always be the better option since its the only effective way to communicate on the go. and the PB is just that. its a mobile device, and Video chat, is a stationary application.
    03-16-12 04:11 PM
    his experience represents the Majority though. and software is designed for the majority.
    Take the UK network "3"
    it started up with its advertising for video calls, the novelty soon wore off, and they nearly went under, if it wasnt for the last minute network speed increase giving them the fastest mobile broadband in the country they would be gone already.

Video calling, is currently a niche market. even on Skype most people just use it for IM. and when FB Chat came on the scene, skype died off a lot.

Its possible something like FB Video chat will eventually be pushed forward and make videochat worthwhile, but as for tablets, while ever you or the tablet have to be (ideally)stationary to make the whole thing worthwhile, IM will always be the better option since its the only effective way to communicate on the go. and the PB is just that. its a mobile device, and Video chat, is a stationary application.
    There are over 300 million minutes of video calls every day worldwide and over 1.8 billion video calls are made per year. Most of the traffic is on Sunday and 58% of Skype use is audio conversations and 42% is video.
    Skype Case Study

37.545.575 users online some minutes ago, amazing growth!

In two weeks 5 million milestone crossings: never happened before! Last year, March 28, we were at 30 million, and then nothing for the rest of the year! I complained about it! And since January we added 7 millions!
    Skype Numerology

Bring your social network
    to life

Skype and Facebook have teamed up to make it
    easier than ever to stay in touch. Video call with all
    your Facebook friends direct from Skype
    smdh @ u
    03-16-12 04:56 PM
    don't quote advertising figures to prove some kind of point. its Quote mining, and the statistics are horribly unbalanced.

over 1.8 billion video calls are made per year
    if 1 person makes one video call per year, thats still less than a third of the worlds population

and those who DO make video calls usually make a lot more than 1 a year so that drastically lowers the percent of the population using Video chat.

How are group calls calculated into this? what about the HUGE amount of dropped called that are reconnected? im guessing when i call a friend for an hour and the call drops 6 times this counts as 6 calls.

37.545.575 users online some minutes ago, amazing growth!
    this is one tenth of the population of the USA. seems a big number. but this is world wide. thats about 2% of the population of China being online, With nobody, in any other country world wide, being online. and thats just online. not making calls or video chats.
    Its nothing. the inverse is that at any given time 99% of the worlds population are NOT on Skype.

they are stating worldwide usage to get big impressive numbers for advertising tools. if your going to be fooled by big numbers, go to apple, they have half a million apps, even though 1200 of them are solitaire.
    EricB1968, hpjrt and ambarmetta like this.
    03-16-12 05:16 PM
    I suggest those who need Skype at work or with their family stop arguing here.

Go watch a movie or something. It's better for your mind.
    03-16-12 07:33 PM
    source?..

there is certainly no reference to skype calling on their website ....

NO BUT BUT. Actually, you can make skype calls with imo.im.
    03-17-12 09:14 AM
    Wow, are you for real?
    Yes! And realistic, as well.
    03-19-12 10:02 AM
119 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD