Hey - have you all noticed that you can download the BOX app for PlayBook and get 50 gigs of cloud storage? That's a great deal!

I thought the 50 might have been a typo but sure enough once I registered and checked my settings, it reads "Storage: 1.5MB of 50.0GB". Of course I downloaded on my PC as well. And when I searched for the app my iPad, it read "get 5 GB of storage". No worries though, my account is still allowing 50 GB.

Sadly though, I haven't seen the app for BlackBerry smartphones.

((Note: I opened this thread in the PlayBook section and not the apps and games section because the offer is PlayBook user's solely.))
    02-21-12 10:38 PM
    I have it on my 9800, try m.box.com.
    T_Touch likes this.
    02-21-12 10:44 PM
    box.net has a huge turn-off!

No free sync!! File Size limit...

For an everyday use... no... for a backup.. maybe.

It was too good to be true.

I have 10 GB on dropbox. Syncs with my PC. No file size limit.
    02-21-12 10:50 PM
    The offer's been there for a few months... I thought it was a good deal at first, but I deleted the app and returned to Dropbox once I tried to download the files I had on Box.net

Take the test, upload a folder with a 100 pictures and try to download them back using their free way, one file at a time. Now, think about 10 or 20 gigs of stuff (1000s' of files and 100s' of folders...) as a backup and you need them back, you'll definitely want to pay as the free way they offer will take days, if not weeks. Being a free account, you can't sync using the Desktop app (you need a subscription for that!) and you'll have to download your files one by one.
    T_Touch likes this.
    02-21-12 10:51 PM
    if you use the dropbox beta you can get an extra 5GB of free storage by uploading 4.5gb of music / movies. that brings the total to 7gb. its a fraction of box, but i think it is enough for 'average' people
    ordigas, emtunc and T_Touch like this.
    02-21-12 10:54 PM
    oh my ... I didn't know - thanx guys
    02-21-12 10:56 PM
    Yeah... A 100mb file size limitation...

I opened an account before I knew that, haven't done anything with it since...
    02-21-12 10:56 PM
    oh my ... I didn't know - thanx guys
    if you need the link to the beta let me know.
    im actually not even sure if the option is still open.
    02-21-12 11:19 PM
    if you use the dropbox beta you can get an extra 5GB of free storage by uploading 4.5gb of music / movies. that brings the total to 7gb. its a fraction of box, but i think it is enough for 'average' people
    I could not figure out how to get that "free" offer working. I never saw where I could upload what I'll call that special way. I could only upload "normally."

A link might help if it is still available (maybe that was the problem).

Hints? (g)
    02-22-12 12:00 AM
    (2/16) - Experimental Forum Build - 1.3.17 � Dropbox Forums

you need to put the files on a usb drive, then unplug the drive and plug it in again... when it gives the autoplay option, choose 'upload to dropbox' (or w/e the option is) and for every 500MB you upload that way you get 500MB of extra space, along with 500MB for the first file uploaded. this means for 4.5GB of added files you get 5GB space and then can delete the files and BAM! 5GB free space!
    02-22-12 12:17 AM
    (2/16) - Experimental Forum Build - 1.3.17 � Dropbox Forums

you need to put the files on a usb drive, then unplug the drive and plug it in again... when it gives the autoplay option, choose 'upload to dropbox' (or w/e the option is) and for every 500MB you upload that way you get 500MB of extra space, along with 500MB for the first file uploaded. this means for 4.5GB of added files you get 5GB space and then can delete the files and BAM! 5GB free space!
    Thanks for the specific info. I think the problem may be I have Vista 64bit and there's some reference on that link to issues. The Autoplay does not show any dropbox options. And Control Panel does not provide any relief. It would be nice to gain those extra storage increments.

So, thanks, again.
    02-22-12 01:15 AM
    Thanks for the specific info. I think the problem may be I have Vista 64bit and there's some reference on that link to issues. The Autoplay does not show any dropbox options. And Control Panel does not provide any relief. It would be nice to gain those extra storage increments.

So, thanks, again.
    Are you installing the new build as Admin or user? Do you get the icon overlays (the green ticks over your Dropbox folders/icons)?
    Do you also get a Dropbox menu when you right click a Dropbox file/folder?
    02-22-12 01:51 AM
    Being a free account, you can't sync using the Desktop app (you need a subscription for that!) and you'll have to download your files one by one.
    Files & Folders lets you download multiple files at once from Box. But the other limitations are enforced by the server, so there's nothing we can do about that. BTW: we also support Dropbox and Google Docs.
    02-22-12 03:13 AM
    I wish Microsoft would bring SkyDrive to us as they did for iOS and Android. During my brief affair with Windows Phone, I did grow rather fond of SkyDrive for my cloud uses. I still use it via my computer.
    02-22-12 03:18 AM
    Are you installing the new build as Admin or user? Do you get the icon overlays (the green ticks over your Dropbox folders/icons)?
    Do you also get a Dropbox menu when you right click a Dropbox file/folder?
    I am Administrator. But on the chance it needs to be run/installed as Admin, I reinstalling it now. No change.
    Last edited by F2; 02-22-12 at 09:15 AM.
    02-22-12 09:01 AM
    Installed box - easy enough.
    Went onto pc to dump some folders into a new folder in the browser using the drag and drop. Not impressed would only do file by file!!!!

Removed the app
    02-22-12 02:50 PM
    ok. if you dont get the autoplay option when you insert the usb drive try going to 'my computer' and right clicking on the removable media drive then choose 'open autoplay'

that is the same as the autoplay automatically coming up when you insert the drive
    02-22-12 04:26 PM
    Oh, I get the Autoplay. There is NO dropbox option on it. I've checked that that Service they say needs to be running is running. So there must be something else. Maybe I could earn it using my netbook. Now there's an idea. I will even copy the install to the usb drive....

Installed on netbook. Autoplay has a Dropbox option and it is a Win7 version. So Vista64 is probably the problem. Now to shove files up to them for my free gigs.
    Last edited by F2; 02-22-12 at 08:20 PM.
    02-22-12 06:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD