We may all know that the playbook is a memory hog. I tried browsing a site that was flash heavy(worldstarhiphop.com and the browser kept crashing an ram drop below 150MB. I went to the same site but the mobile(html5 m.worldstarhiphop.com) site and it ran fine with over 350MB to spare.

I just want to know if there is a way to disable flash and have it use html5 version of websites. Most sites I go to on my ipad were mobile compatible and had no issues. I want the same user experience on the playbook and if there isn't a html5 version of the site then I'll take flash.

If anyone know anything please let me know.
    05-13-11 10:16 AM
    Browser options / Content / Enable Flash : set to OFF
    05-13-11 10:20 AM
    turning flash off doesn't help...on the ipad i am automatically redirected to HTML5 version of websites..on playbook with flash off the page just doesn't load properly
    05-13-11 10:22 AM
    turning flash off doesn't help...on the ipad i am automatically redirected to HTML5 version of websites..on playbook with flash off the page just doesn't load properly
    just email the site admin to tell them redirect the site to html5 version too for playbook
    05-13-11 11:28 AM
    cant you just type in the iPad redirect into the Playbook browser? If its a site you visit often, just bookmark the html5 site.
    05-13-11 11:38 AM
    We need a "Spoof As..." option.
    05-13-11 12:27 PM
    We need a "Spoof As..." option.
    Thats not as dumb as it might seem. Turning off browser capabilities doesn't change how the web server identifies the browser and its actual capabilites. Most just ID the browser and based on that makes assumptions. Some web servers actually interogate the browser to find out what they are capable of. I have posted elsewhere about this in the forums.

On IIS based servers there is something called a browsercap.ini file, and the web server often uses this in combination with initial information sent by a browser in its header to determine what the browser can do. Unfortunately, most web sites don't keep this file up to date.

Do a google search on Browsercap.ini for further discussion of this topic.
    05-13-11 01:48 PM
    YouTube takes up 80% of my Flash use. If you want to speed up your browsing experience on your PlayBook, leave Flash disabled and use the HTML5 version of YouTube here: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    The HTML5 YouTube seems to be a lot less buggy than the Flash version - you can scrub easier and switch to 720p and 1080p without having the video crash.
    05-21-11 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD