I have had my playbook for just over 2 weeks and so far have had no problems with it at all.

However, I have recently noticed when watching video on such sites like bbc iplayer using flash, the screen flickers like its struggling to cope with the brightness. I have turned the brightness down but the problem remains until i turn it diwn so much that the video is too dark to view properly.

Is this a known issue with the playbook or could it be that the screen is defective?

I dont notice any problems when viewing websites with text.

Thanks
    11-21-11 11:18 AM
    You may know this but the pb contains an ambient light sensor and will automatically adjust the screen brightness depending on your lighting circumstances. The sensor is located where the led is on the front top. While I don't know if it is too sensitive and is reacting to the light from the video playing or not, it might occur in a darkened room???? Or if you shield and unshield the sensor accidentally.
    11-21-11 11:49 AM
    You may know this but the pb contains an ambient light sensor and will automatically adjust the screen brightness depending on your lighting circumstances. The sensor is located where the led is on the front top. While I don't know if it is too sensitive and is reacting to the light from the video playing or not, it might occur in a darkened room???? Or if you shield and unshield the sensor accidentally.
    Yeah I know about the screen brightness thing. Im used to that on my 9860, but I dont think it is that. This flickering is constant and quite off putting. The only way I can try to describe it is like a flourescent light that does that annoying flickering when it needs changing. Probably not a good comparison, but dont know how else to describe it.

When I change light sources the screen has a distinctive change, this is like a rapid flicker.

11-21-11 12:04 PM
    Doesn't sound right. You could try a hard reboot, power + and - buttons all held at the same time until it reboots.
    11-21-11 12:33 PM
    Doesn't sound right. You could try a hard reboot, power + and - buttons all held at the same time until it reboots.
    Just try a normal restart first.

Could be that the OP's wifi signal is not sufficient to support the bit rate. Perhaps going to 720 or 480p would help (if that's possible on that site) Could be that an active app is drawing resources that could exacerbate the condition. A simple restart would be the first and easiest thing to try.
    11-21-11 12:42 PM
    Just try a normal restart first.

Could be that the OP's wifi signal is not sufficient to support the bit rate. Perhaps going to 720 or 480p would help (if that's possible on that site) Could be that an active app is drawing resources that could exacerbate the condition. A simple restart would be the first and easiest thing to try.
    THanks for replies,

I have tried the restart. Its weird. On Iplayer you can change the settings from high quality to normal, and it is currently set to high but not sure how high in terms of bit rate it would stream on high quality.

I will adjust the settings to normal and see how that fares.
    11-21-11 12:50 PM
    I will adjust the settings to normal and see how that fares.
    Fruitini � Did you get this working? Is the picture flickering or is it just the brightness? I am having a similar situation with Foxsoccer.tv, which allows me to watch ManU matches in the states. The picture is unbearable.

However, other sites, such as ESPN3 and willow.tv (for my cricket) play wonderfully without any stuttering.

Cheers.
    11-28-11 03:42 PM
    Fruitini � Did you get this working? Is the picture flickering or is it just the brightness? I am having a similar situation with Foxsoccer.tv, which allows me to watch ManU matches in the states. The picture is unbearable.

However, other sites, such as ESPN3 and willow.tv (for my cricket) play wonderfully without any stuttering.

Cheers.
    no I havent resolved the problem. flickering on the screen is still the same regardless. Only seems to effect iplayer though. The only way I can stop it is by turning the brightness down on the screen, and then the picture becomes so dark its pointless watching it.
    11-28-11 03:51 PM
    I have the same issue that the screen/video flickers when watching certain flash video. Any fixes?
    01-05-12 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD