So...Today I used my playbook with Flash disabled...Tried simulating the iPad-style browsing...
    The web pages looked so dead...You could still see the ads but like a static image...It made me realise that while Flash isn't needed it really gives that extra..awesomeness factor to our browser ..And the speed is almost the same

Anyone else tried it ?
    02-18-12 10:45 AM
    I cannot . depend a lot on streaming sports videos.

I have a question related to browser flash. Anyone tried stick sports games on playbook? they are not working for me
    02-18-12 10:58 AM
    I have had both Flash and Javascript disabled since the day I got the PB.

Disabling Flash alone is OK. I haven't noticed that I am missing much (I am not into watching video content anyway). Majority of webpages I visit render absolutely the same with or without Flash.

Disabling Javascript is a different story. Most of the interaction is lost (pull down menus, radio buttons, etc.).

But boy is the browser so much faster with both Flash and Java disabled.

Besides I can enable Java at any time (do it probably a couple of times a day). I don't miss Flash at all.
    02-18-12 11:01 AM
    What do you do if on an iPad you visit a page with embedded Flash function or video? Just throw it against the wall?
    02-18-12 11:52 AM
    What do you do if on an iPad you visit a page with embedded Flash function or video? Just throw it against the wall?
    From what I've read, they don't surf the web like we would. They go to the app store and look to see if someone made an app so that site will work on the iPad because "Flash is dead..."
    ambarmetta likes this.
    02-18-12 12:02 PM
    From what I've read, they don't surf the web like we would. They go to the app store and look to see if someone made an app so that site will work on the iPad because "Flash is dead..."
    I have not owned a single Apple product, but a simple search suggests that there are ways to play Flash on iPad. For example:

ambarmetta likes this.
    02-18-12 12:25 PM
    I have not owned a single Apple product, but a simple search suggests that there are ways to play Flash on iPad. For example:

And then there are sites like ESPN.com for example that automatically redirect to iPad friendly videos.

Bigger publishers aren't going to ignore that many users.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    02-18-12 12:42 PM
    PB users can be so clueless at times. Most major sites use HTML 5 for video,sports included. Maybe you should actual try an iPad before dissing it. Sometimes I wonder why I come to this site at all, almost everyday someone is dissing the iPad..saying how much better the PB is.
    Last edited by Hockey_Fan10; 02-18-12 at 01:28 PM.
    02-18-12 01:23 PM
    As far as I can tell, youtube is THE biggest site, and they use flash. Actually, most video is flash, as well as embedded videos like on Facebook. So thats already 2 of the most visited sites worldwide that use flash video and games. Which sites use html5 video?
    02-18-12 01:35 PM
    HTML 5 is the emerging standard for the WEB.

HTML5 Rocks - A resource for open web HTML5 developers

Having said that even Adobe is gearing down dev of Flash. My hope is that both Adobe and MS (Silverlight) will abandon their proprietary BS and embrace common and open standards such as HTML 5.

...and taking pot shots at the over sized elephant (Apple stuff) is fun
    02-18-12 01:57 PM
    As far as I can tell, youtube is THE biggest site, and they use flash. Actually, most video is flash, as well as embedded videos like on Facebook. So thats already 2 of the most visited sites worldwide that use flash video and games. Which sites use html5 video?
    If you visit YouTube on an iOS device, it doesn't use Flash. Google engineers are clever like that.

You really think Google would leave such a huge audience to their competitors?
    ambarmetta likes this.
    02-18-12 02:02 PM
    Apple - iPad 2 - Have more fun on YouTube, redesigned for iPad.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    02-18-12 02:07 PM
    HTML 5 is the emerging standard for the WEB.

HTML5 Rocks - A resource for open web HTML5 developers

Having said that even Adobe is gearing down dev of Flash. My hope is that both Adobe and MS (Silverlight) will abandon their proprietary BS and embrace common and open standards such as HTML 5.

...and taking pot shots at the over sized elephant (Apple stuff) is fun
    True but this is not going to occur overnight. Until it does its great that we have a choice. Not only is the HTML5 compatibility of web browsers all over the map, many are not even fully HTML4 compatible yet. While HTML4 compatibility is essentially moot at this point, it does tell us something about the potential timeliness for full adoption here until the "next great thing comes along".
    02-18-12 02:14 PM
    is this in memory of jobs??
    02-18-12 02:20 PM
    PB users can be so clueless at times. Most major sites use HTML 5 for video,sports included. Maybe you should actual try an iPad before dissing it. Sometimes I wonder why I come to this site at all, almost everyday someone is dissing the iPad..saying how much better the PB is.
    You should really more correctly state that as "some PB users" and not try to come across with an attitude as if only PB users do this. Many of us have or own Apple and Android products and a more careful reading of postings here would reveal that. Many of us also have to support these devices as a part of our daily duties. As such we are more likely to see the shortcomings of the devices and respond accordingly. For example in our Windows Exchange environment iOS devices are more difficult to manage than BB's and to date iOS and Android still do not fully support ActiveSync though they claim to. Android is the worst this area, because it is implemented in a very inconsistent manner. It is not a part of Android, but rather each phone manufacturer implements their own versions.

A visit to competitive device enthusiast/support forums as I have to do reveals the same behaviour. Either that or ex-platform users comparing their new favorite vendor's technology against their last experience which is often several years old. This happens equally on both sides.
    joaosousa and ambarmetta like this.
    02-18-12 02:34 PM
    True but this is not going to occur overnight. Until it does its great that we have a choice. Not only is the HTML5 compatibility of web browsers all over the map, many are not even fully HTML4 compatible yet. While HTML4 compatibility is essentially moot at this point, it does tell us something about the potential timeliness for full adoption here until the "next great thing comes along".
    Adobe already announcement stop mobile flash development and Microsoft dont allow 3rd party plugin in their Metro IE. So I think in the near future, all of major tablet OS (iOS, Android, Windows) are going to surf the net without "full experience".
    02-18-12 02:34 PM
    The videos have not been flash for a very long time, but MP4.

Since 2010 youtube have pushed out their content via HTML 5 for all mobile devices... thus when you turn flash off on your PB...

Guess what!

Youtube still works!
    02-18-12 02:37 PM
    Adobe already announcement stop mobile flash development and Microsoft dont allow 3rd party plugin in their Metro IE. So I think in the near future, all of major tablet OS (iOS, Android, Windows) are going to surf the net without "full experience".
    Whilst BB go on supporting a dead platform and not moving on. Personally I believe the web is a fuller less painful experience without flash.
    02-18-12 02:40 PM
    Mobile, yes, desktop no. I much prefer to experience the full site and not be forced to a crippled or more poorly designed mobile site where the flash content is removed. My PlayBook screen is plenty big enough to enjoy the "full experience" the web has to offer no matter what others think or say. I'd prefer to determine what I want to experience and not have it dictated to me.

Someone in the know can correct me, but doesn't RIM maintain the PlayBook version of Flash? Not everyone has the development resources to suddenly drop what they're doing to convert their flash content to HTML5.

They said the same "near future" timeliness about HTML4 compatibility as well.
    Last edited by rjedge54; 02-18-12 at 05:17 PM. Reason: corrections in spelling and missing words
    02-18-12 02:52 PM
    Yeah they can still view it but it is limited and obviously lacks in consumer experience. Flash is not dead yet guys take advantage of it while you can. What/who is dead on the other hand? Jobs! Should you stop buying Apple products then? Flash is still here for a few more years, thats a long time for you to be having this argument and a long time for you to not enjoy your limited experience. Whoever jumps on the flash is dead bandwagon is clearly just jealous, or else why the **** would you care?
    02-18-12 03:25 PM
    I have Flash off by default because the ads slow down the browser. I do like the ability to turn on Flash when I need it, which is how it should be. Completely removing the ability for users to choose is just douchbaggery IMO.
    Last edited by nightspark; 02-18-12 at 04:38 PM.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-18-12 04:35 PM
    Just like going to some sites with my Torch a HTML 5 site will detect the device's capabilities via the User Agent signature and will stream the appropriate file type in the case of YouTube and IOS and the Torch it is an mp4. BTW Google/YouTube are the biggest evangelist for HTML 5 and all Google properties and sites employ that standard.
    02-18-12 10:35 PM
    i have a playbook, and i bought my gf an ipad2 for xmas. for some unknown reason, you can't watch certain videos on youtube from the ipad. they get blocked. i can watch them fine on my android phone and on the playbook. i made a video to show. same exact address, both on desktop browser, same exact video, i panned around to show. only a moving circle
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuebK6MZWEQ[/YT]
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    02-19-12 12:46 AM
    forgot to mention. that video is available on the ipad, but you have to download the vevo app, and register. not the same imho. i want to watch youtube, on youtube.

i wish there was a flash on demand option, like in the android browser though. you cant even see that i posted a video with flash off.
    02-19-12 03:27 AM
    exactly, I watched it just fine People that hate on it are jealous, in denial, or looking for reassurance that they made the right choice in buying their product
    02-19-12 10:18 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD