Is there anyway to get flash updated on the PB. Trying to watch shows on NBC and I'm being told that I need an update.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 07:29 PM
    you are at the mercy of BB and them pushing the update. sorry
    05-01-14 07:34 PM
    I knew that was coming...oh well the response is appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 07:45 PM
    What OS are you running on your Playbook? I am able to stream videos on NBC.com with my PB, though they don't necessarily stream all that well. That being said and for what it's worth, I am not able to stream .NBC vids at all (device not supported message) using my Kindle Fire HD.
    05-01-14 11:13 PM
    Really??? I'm using the latest os given by BlackBerry before end of life.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 05:42 AM
    I asked about this a few months ago when I was still on OS 10.1. I was told that I'd have to update the OS because it wasn't possible to to upgrade Flash separately.

But... after updating to 10.2.1, I *still* sometimes am unable to load videos on a few sites, and I get the "update your Flash" error. I've decided not to worry about it since I can view youtube, vimeo, and other major video sites in the 3 browsers I have installed on my device.

So, other than trying a different browser or seeing if the videos you want to watch are also on youtube, I am not sure what else to suggest.

Is there anyway to get flash updated on the PB. Trying to watch shows on NBC and I'm being told that I need an update.
    Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2234T
    05-02-14 07:21 AM
    Are you using a browser that has user agents, like Origami? If so, try changing the user agent and refreshing NBC.
    05-02-14 07:46 AM
    I asked about this a few months ago when I was still on OS 10.1. I was told that I'd have to update the OS because it wasn't possible to to upgrade Flash separately.

But... after updating to 10.2.1, I *still* sometimes am unable to load videos on a few sites, and I get the "update your Flash" error. I've decided not to worry about it since I can view youtube, vimeo, and other major video sites in the 3 browsers I have installed on my device.

So, other than trying a different browser or seeing if the videos you want to watch are also on youtube, I am not sure what else to suggest.

Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2234T
    Please note which forum you are replying in. This is the Playbook forum, so no OS 10.
    05-02-14 09:14 AM
    Oh I'm so sorry. CB10 doesn't display the forum name once a thread is open, and I didn't even notice. My apologies.

Please note which forum you are replying in. This is the Playbook forum, so no OS 10.

Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2234
    05-02-14 09:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    Like pacoman, I too am able to stream NBC programs from nbc.com on a PlayBook. Actually, I never visited nbc.com with a PlayBook until last night when I saw your post so I gave it a test and it worked very well. I let the latest episode of a sitcom, "About a Boy" run in its entirety while I was doing other stuff on another tablet. The PlayBook runs OS Version 2.1.0.1917 which is the current version. I did not see any message on nbc.com urging me to update Flash.
    05-02-14 12:49 PM
    What OS are you running on your Playbook? I am able to stream videos on NBC.com with my PB, though they don't necessarily stream all that well. That being said and for what it's worth, I am not able to stream .NBC vids at all (device not supported message) using my Kindle Fire HD.
    I wanted to address your inability to stream NBC shows on your Kindle Fire HD. I too have a Kindle Fire HD as well as the HDX. I have been streaming NBC and CBS programs through their apps so when I saw your response, I tried to stream through nbc.com, which I never did before.

I tried it on the Fire HDX first and used Silk Browser. At first, it said it could not stream but at the bottom, a message came up saying Flash content was detected and asked if I wanted to try the Amazon experimental streaming viewer. I tapped "Yes" and the very next screen that came up still indicated that I could not stream and recommended that I visit nbc.com on a laptop or desktop computer. However, I noticed the message about Flash content and the experimental viewer was still at the bottom so I chose "Yes" again and... success! The full episode played. Then I tried nbc.com on the Fire HD. It worked, as with the HDX.

If you want to avoid the extra step in selecting the experimental streaming viewer in the Silk Browser, I recommend that you get either or both flash browsers, i.e., Flash Fox and/or Puffin Browser. Flash Fox is not related to Mozilla Firefox. Both these browsers are however, not available in the Amazon Appstore. You will have to get them through the 1Mobile Market app, which is also not available in the Amazon Appstore.

On your Kindle Fire HD, use the web browser and go to 1mobile.com. Once in that site, you can download the 1mobile market app. If it does not install automatically, and if you do not have a file manager app on your Fire HD, get the File Manager Free app from Amazon Appstore or the ES File Explorer app, also from Amazon Appstore. Then, go to Downloads in either app and install the 1mobile app which was previously downloaded. After the 1mobile market app is in place, just launch it and get Flash Fox and/or Puffin Browser. They are both free, though I believe that the free Puffin Browser is operational only for limited hours in a day. You can upgrade to the paid version if you like it. I find the Puffin is very fast, but Flash Fox is more than adequate so there may not be a need to buy the paid version of Puffin. Once you have the 1mobile market app, a whole new world of android apps opens up to you beyond the Amazon Appstore.

This is where you get the NBC app and the CBS app if you so desire. Be sure to get the NBC app which has the multi-colored peacock against a WHITE background (2.17 MB in size), not the one with the blue background (10.79 MB in size). I think the blue one is the old version which does not work or does not work well. Just like NBC, there are many CBS apps too. To stream the network shows, get the CBS app with the blue eye against a white background (15.38 MB in size).

The NBC app will have their shows available the day after original broadcast while the CBS app will have shows available 8 days after original broadcast. However, if you go to the CBS.com website, the shows are available the day after original broadcast.
    05-02-14 02:22 PM