03-21-14 11:52 AM
31 12
tools
    I'm confused, as well as the PlayBook Travel Charger (BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Travel Charger: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) - are you chaps also talking about the Rapid Charging Stand (BlackBerry PlayBook Rapid Charging Stand: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) - I'm wondering if I have been using the wrong terminology for these accessories....

I bought my Rapid Charging Stand (that I normally refer to as: a stand, charging dock, charging cradle, etc) last September and the three pins (and their brass/copper insides) are all at the same height

I have bought three more since (for clients), and all have been fine (eg the same as the first one)

None of us have had problems having to wiggle the PlayBook into place onto the stand - if the PlayBook doesn't sit securely in the stand, then it has not been placed properly (and it will fall backwards over the stand!)

IF my terminology is correct, then I am wondering if your stands were manufactured in a different/earlier batch, or even in a different factory?

Btw - you chaps are evidently fantastic skilled with your tools, soldering irons, etc - if I took a charger apart I'd end up electrocuting one of my clients....
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-02-12 01:39 PM
    BigAll_BB9900, you're correct, this thread has discussed both rapid chargers. The stand is also referred to as a "dock", "cradle", or perhaps other names sometimes, but it's the one you're thinking of for sure.

Some have been built correctly. We've never had enough data to know whether there were simply bad batches, or whether all the original ones were bad, or whether it's random. I'd guess that they've improved the design or manufacturing/QA and that almost all the original/bad ones have been sold, since so few people seem to have problems now compared to a year ago.

It is clear (at least to me and, I believe, anyone else who's disassembled and inspected it closely enough) that the design of the connector is inherently defective (since it permits misassembly with the pins at different heights) and also that the manufacturing process was poor in that it didn't account for that possibility and eliminate it.

I'm happy to hear that you've bought a whole bunch of them and had no problems... also that you're basically confirming that pins all at the same height means the thing works reliably.

The wiggling is merely a trick to overcome a borderline situation, where one of the pins is barely making contact, or contacting so poorly that even a small bit of dust or surface oxidation is enough to make it fail. Wiggling can scrape off a bit of that, or make the lower pin move up slightly farther in the event its spring hadn't pushed it quite as far as it can go. One a charger with all pins the same height, no wiggling should ever be necessary unless it's dust-covered.

It's ironic really... the design of the dock/cradle charger is generally extremely good, and I've found it quite difficult to make it fail now that I've fixed my pins. If it weren't for this early and fatal flaw, the product would have an excellent reputation.
    09-02-12 01:59 PM
    BigAll_BB9900, you're correct, this thread has discussed both rapid chargers. The stand is also referred to as a "dock", "cradle", or perhaps other names sometimes, but it's the one you're thinking of for sure.

Some have been built correctly. We've never had enough data to know whether there were simply bad batches, or whether all the original ones were bad, or whether it's random. I'd guess that they've improved the design or manufacturing/QA and that almost all the original/bad ones have been sold, since so few people seem to have problems now compared to a year ago.

It is clear (at least to me and, I believe, anyone else who's disassembled and inspected it closely enough) that the design of the connector is inherently defective (since it permits misassembly with the pins at different heights) and also that the manufacturing process was poor in that it didn't account for that possibility and eliminate it.

I'm happy to hear that you've bought a whole bunch of them and had no problems... also that you're basically confirming that pins all at the same height means the thing works reliably.

The wiggling is merely a trick to overcome a borderline situation, where one of the pins is barely making contact, or contacting so poorly that even a small bit of dust or surface oxidation is enough to make it fail. Wiggling can scrape off a bit of that, or make the lower pin move up slightly farther in the event its spring hadn't pushed it quite as far as it can go. One a charger with all pins the same height, no wiggling should ever be necessary unless it's dust-covered.

It's ironic really... the design of the dock/cradle charger is generally extremely good, and I've found it quite difficult to make it fail now that I've fixed my pins. If it weren't for this early and fatal flaw, the product would have an excellent reputation.
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion

Good luck with your fixes

All the best

Alex
    09-02-12 03:23 PM
    My rapid charger became more and more erratic. Eventually I ground off a layer from the top of the assembly that holds the 3 pins until all the pins were flush with top of the assembly and it has been working flawlessly now. The housing was a really hard metal composite and I needed a Dremel grindstone to do it.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-02-12 04:18 PM
    I have the non cradle version and just noticed it doesn't work anymore and the bottom pin in caved in, so pissed
    09-06-12 02:02 PM
    Just wanted to say that, based on your advice and experience here, I've done this to all three cradles, all of which displayed the recessed left pin problem. It's not easy to do (it requires a surprising amount of force to move that pin, but I did it) and the cradle is still a little fussy when I set the PlayBook on it...but now it takes only a little bit of fiddling to get the charge rate up to where it needs to be, and more importantly, it seems that it can be expected to continue charging through the night, as opposed to the way it used to be where it would charge for a few minutes, and then quit, resulting in a nearly-exhausted battery to start the day. Those days were never good. At least I still had my 9900 or even my new Z10 to substitute, but the PlayBook, as you know, sounds (in stereo!) so much better.
    03-21-14 11:52 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD