Long time reader, first time poster. I love my playbook so far however I unfortunately dropped it not to long ago and cracked the digitizer. I was able to replace the digitizer however now my WiFi antenna seems to be extremely weak. Even beside the wireless router, there is a strong signal but walk two feet away it's barely there and go up a floor its none existent. I suspect something went wrong when I installed the new glass as the Wifi signal was great and worked without a problem. Anybody know where exactly the antenna is. I was told it was somewhere in the upper left and I don't know if a connection might have disconnect. Just looking for some assistance.
    02-23-12 01:53 PM

maybe that will show you where something went wrong
    02-23-12 02:13 PM
    Same problem! Was messing around with my Playbook to fix my micro usb port and did something to my wifi antenna while opening the back cover. If you find a way to fix or replace the wifi antenna that will probably solve the problem.
    02-27-12 05:22 AM
    Same situation here. And the worst part is I had a repair shop do it. Took it back and they said a wfi wire got disconnected - worked better after that, but not 100%. GPS doesn't work now - took it apart tonight and they changed the hook ups of the antenna wires, and left one unhooked.
    Have you found a solution yet?
    Would love to hear.
    03-06-12 11:39 PM
    hmmmm....
    BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown: Left speaker removed | 26 of 80
    the silver tape covering the chip that is in the ribbon. Mine was missing - I didn't take it off. Is that a shield? something to help get a contact down to the metal 'frame'?
    03-07-12 12:50 AM
    hello does anybody know what the silver tape is called so i can buy some. Ive been looking on google with little luck
    I really need to know what this tape is called.
    help is really appreciated
    03-11-12 07:53 AM
    its not a shield. check the wire on the antenna in that corner. I had to resolder it back on.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-24-12 09:05 AM
    I also had to work on the micro USB and now, after putting everything back together, I have no WIFI connections. It just says, No Networks are Currently Available, when I know there are quite a few (as verified via phone and ipad). Any fix, thoughts, solutions? All the wires are back on, I have continuity on the wires to where they terminate on the PCB... any other thoughts?
    12-06-12 11:11 AM
    Regarding the tape...
    Not sure if this will work but HVAC technicians use a foil tape to seal air ducts. Appears to be a heavy aluminum foil with sticky back. Looks identical to my eye to the sticky backed foils used in electronics.
    12-06-12 01:41 PM
    Exact same problem here.

Where does the antenna connect to the board? Is it the little chip in opposite corners?
    02-28-13 04:29 AM
    These are the notes I've captured on the various antenna:

The GPS antenna is in the lower right corner

Top-left: 802.11G

Top-right: 802.11N

Bottom-left: Bluetooth

Bottom-right: GPS

When you hold the PlayBook in landscape mode, generally your hands will "cup" the bottom two corners (left and right), obscuring the BT and GPS antennas partially. My experiments suggest that the Bluetooth antenna is able to cope with a fair bit of blockage (though this would depend on how far away your bridged phone is), while the GPS antenna is affected by almost any blockage.

The WiFi antennas (G and N) are in the top two corners, up near where you can see the two little microphone holes. If you held the PlayBook in portrait orientation, you'd block either G or N or both, depending on the position of your hands and whether you'd rotated it so the front-facing camera was on the left or the right.
    02-28-13 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD