The 32GB one I bought 2 weeks ago has a raised power butten that is very, very easy to press. When I put it in the BB leather portfolio, it was very hard to press.

I returned the case, got a silicone skin + bb zip up case and the button is super easy to press still.

I would not have added that goop to my system, but if you don't mind the way it looks then more power to ya- it's your machine so who cares what you do to it?
    05-29-11 10:34 AM
    mine is dipped in as well but i found if i grip pb with my hand with the thumb on the top of the power button and squeeze it always does the trick.. just a bit trickier when i have it in my convertible case.. takes a few tries...
    05-29-11 02:54 PM
    I had a Defective Display [Active Pixels], and had to do an Exchange with RIM.
    Interestingly enough, it was otherwise FLAWLESS.
    Power Button actually stuck-out almost as far as the Volume/Play/Pause Buttons next to it! Works perfectly for me!

I just got the NEW Replacement Playbook Back. And Guess what?!?
    Beautifully-Flawless Display with ZERO Display issues, BUT! -
    THIS one has a Terrible Power Button!! It's so Recessed, I can't press it!!
    The Back of it seems to be lightly bubbling-out.

Why is it so Difficult to get things Right?!?

HOWEVER! There IS a Cure for those with Hands like a Surgeon!!
    The Fix that was shown above was done on the OUTSIDE of the Button!
    If you can figure out how to Remove the Rear-Panel of the Playbook, and the Button assembly, you Could apply this Fix to the UNDERSIDE of the Button!! ;^)
    I have yet to do this myself, but it makes perfect Sense! It's the Button Itself that is Flawed!! Give it a Boost, and it's Fixed!!

Use a Credit Card as a Case-Opening Tool. Gently pry the Seem between the Black Rear Panel & the Grey-Silvery edge. Be sure not to break anything.
    Remove the Power Button, and see if there is a Clip-Spring on it.
    You can bend this spring just a tiny-bit more to get it to work better.
    The mod shown Above can be Applied to the UNDERSIDE on this Button, so it looks Exactly how it Should when reassembled.

Let me know what you guys find...
    12-30-11 10:26 AM
    Might be a stupid question but..

does anyone have pics of the recessed button vs the raised one?

when people are talking recessed, are they saying the button is below the cover?

Mine is about 1/2 a millimetre raised above the cover.
    I don't think many are really recessed, though it does sound like it's a case of this being a range of values rather a simple "raised" or "flush".

I've handled a dozen units, and they ranged from perfectly flush (i.e. not recessed, but neither are they raised even a micron) to being raised exactly like yours: the thickness of a standard index card. I could well believe a few are every so slightly recessed.

It's really not a big deal though: except for those with large fingers, it's only really awkward when you have to do the 10s press to reset the device (very rare), and most of the time you'll just put it in standby using the battery icon in the status bar, and wake it up by swiping. I totally forget which of my units has a flush or raised power button since I press them, honestly, only about once a month. I've got far bigger concerns with the PlayBook than this.
    12-30-11 11:22 AM
    Here's my fix for the recessed PlayBook Power Button.

How To Description:
    PlayBook Geek: Pimp my PlayBook - Round 2

It works well - particularly with the convertible case.

Click to view quoted image
    I for one am digging your mod. I really was thinking of doing the same thing for a while but I think I finally will give it a go. However my modding attempts typically isn't as pretty as yours. I'm not as eager to post pics
    I do have the convertible case. I was thinking more along the lines of putting something inside the case where the button is as opposed to on the button itself

The PB16 I had first was fine, but when I upgraded to PB32 it was recessed to my dismay.
    12-30-11 12:32 PM
    Initially i didnt understand how people thought that the power button wasnt an issue. i had to use a pen to get mine to work. Then we purchased a few more and as i set them up i noticed the new ones had raised power buttons that worked really easy. one was so raised it looked like it was manufactured wrong. I had my original PB replaced because the wifi was always breaking and required reboots.

New playbook came with a raised power button and life is good. Super easy to press.

Im currently waiting for some one to break theres so i can take it apart and look inside the power button switch to see if i can find a remedy for all playbooks that had a power button like my original because it was useless.

as for using the battery icon in your dock, thats a work around that takes three jestures vs hitting the power button when putting it away.

There IS a problem on some playbooks. To argue otherwise makes u an and fanboi.
    12-30-11 12:44 PM
    I think it IS an Issue!

Not for those who got a Model that have a GOOD Power Button, but for those who got screwed.
    I have relatively High Standards for RIM's Products, and they are Always exceptional.
    But the Playbook wasn't quite right. At least some of them aren't...
    Why is it that many of them have 'Active' Pixels, that appear a Whitish-Color on a Dark Screen?!? Sure there tiny, but I can tell if they are Dead or Active. Neither Scenario in acceptable in my book. Especially for RIM. Pixels should work as expected.

Also, I'm having Issues (Once again) with Updating my new Playbook.
    The First one would NOT Update on Christmas Day. The same thing occurred the day after, until late in the Evening.

What was Happening: It would Download a portion of the Update, and then say that it couldn't Update!! I think there is something wrong with RIM's Servers or something...
    It FINALLY Downloaded the Update 1.0.8.1667 at about 7PM, Dec. 26th. I'd say it could have been Heavy Server-Load or something...

Now I've got the RMA Replacement, and it isn't updating Either!! :^(

I'm going to call up RIM, and let them know what is happening...

*BlackBerry Devices are Very High-Quality, but I think their Network is failing for some reason... Which is probably why they have lost some of their Market-Share.
    12-30-11 12:49 PM
    I used to think BB's were high quality devices(my storm 9530 was a tank, mechanically). But with the buttons peeling and the bubble under the screen of my torch 9860 and having to try 3 different playbooks to get one that lies flat(almost), I don't think BB's are well built or high quality at all. Which is disappointing because I love my berry products.

as for the power putton, my 16gb was up a bit and real easy. my 32gb is flush and slightly tricky to push.
    12-30-11 03:45 PM

Im currently waiting for some one to break theres so i can take it apart and look inside the power button switch to see if i can find a remedy for all playbooks that had a power button like my original because it was useless.

as for using the battery icon in your dock, thats a work around that takes three jestures vs hitting the power button when putting it away.

There IS a problem on some playbooks. To argue otherwise makes u an and fanboi.
    It is a problem if it bothers you. It doesn't bother me so no problem.
    I had mine apart and from what I remember:
    The switch is on a circuit board under the button. Between the button and the switch is a piece of rubber. It would be easy to place something between the rubber and button giving it a little more lift. Mine is flush and I left it that way. I like to be able to press on the volumes buttons without thinking about hitting the power button.

I don't what they changed to make the button higher. Maybe the rubber between is a little thicker. Maybe the button has a bit more plastic on the bottom. If someone with high button ever takes their PB apart I would be willing to compare.
    12-30-11 05:20 PM
    Yes, the power button issue is/was real--either bad design or bad quality control by RIM. When I was first checking out the Playbook, I recall struggling to get it to work in stores, and salespeople trying to help me and telling me it was a known defect in the tablet. When I opened up the box with my Playbook, I was pleased to discover the button was a little higher than those in the store and would actually activate when pressed by a finger (barely). Kudos to those who have found hardware fixes; but so long as the button works at all, I wouldn't worry too much about fixes. With that nifty little "on/off" app, the hardware button isn't needed too often.
    12-30-11 05:31 PM
    Here's my fix for the recessed PlayBook Power Button.

How To Description:
    PlayBook Geek: Pimp my PlayBook - Round 2

It works well - particularly with the convertible case.

Click to view quoted image
    that's funny ! I had no idea there were soo many ham fisted people out there!

My on/off button isn't recessed, let alone flush, it's raised, visable and easily pushable.
    Michaelaw
    12-30-11 05:44 PM
    I for one am digging your mod. I really was thinking of doing the same thing for a while but I think I finally will give it a go. However my modding attempts typically isn't as pretty as yours. I'm not as eager to post pics
    I do have the convertible case. I was thinking more along the lines of putting something inside the case where the button is as opposed to on the button itself

The PB16 I had first was fine, but when I upgraded to PB32 it was recessed to my dismay.
    I DID IT!! That sh*t worked! Thanks playbook geek!
    I'm not great with my hands but putting the glue to the inside of the case works great
    12-30-11 08:16 PM
    Is anyone have an Problems Updating a NEW BB PlayBook?!?
    Mine wont Update!!
    It keeps 'Failing' after getting to about 12%, or 42MB of the 334MB Update.

Just what the is the Deal with the Playbook?!? RIM really screwed the pooch here.
    Yet, it has Excellent Hardware!! So it's NOT the Quality of Parts; It's Quality Control!!
    They're letting Crap 'fly' from the Manufacture, and they apparently don't care enough to make sure there PlayBooks are of High Quality fresh out of the Package.

Do any of the BB people up in Corporate use their own Products like the PlayBook?!?
    If they DO, they sure have something WE Aren't getting!!
    But I'm getting the Impression they DON'T! :^\
    12-31-11 03:15 AM
    Adrenaline_x -

How do you take apart the Playbook?!?
    There aren't any Screws on the rear or sides.
    I'm an Electronics Tech, and yet I don't see how to really take it apart without damaging it.

Now if I DID know how to remove the Back-Panel, I would Fix the Power Button!!
    If I had known that RIM was going to do this to it's Customers, I would have gotten a Nook Color! :^P
    12-31-11 03:32 AM
    Is anyone have an Problems Updating a NEW BB PlayBook?!?
    Mine wont Update!!
    It keeps 'Failing' after getting to about 12%, or 42MB of the 334MB Update.

Just what the is the Deal with the Playbook?!? RIM really screwed the pooch here.
    Yet, it has Excellent Hardware!! So it's NOT the Quality of Parts; It's Quality Control!!
    They're letting Crap 'fly' from the Manufacture, and they apparently don't care enough to make sure there PlayBooks are of High Quality fresh out of the Package.

Do any of the BB people up in Corporate use their own Products like the PlayBook?!?
    If they DO, they sure have something WE Aren't getting!!
    But I'm getting the Impression they DON'T! :^\
    Are you running wifi? Might be timing out if the connection goes in and out, try going into SetUp - Wifi and set up WPS connection which is easy peezee. You'll see WPS lower right of wifi set up menu, in brief you press WPS and you press the connection button on your wifi router, they find each other and connect. Anyway, FWIW, the update is simply a reaction to folks who were Rooting their PB's and doesn't contain anything relevant.

Regards,
    Michaelaw
    12-31-11 06:47 AM
    I think it IS an Issue!

Not for those who got a Model that have a GOOD Power Button, but for those who got screwed.
    I have relatively High Standards for RIM's Products, and they are Always exceptional.
    But the Playbook wasn't quite right. At least some of them aren't...
    Why is it that many of them have 'Active' Pixels, that appear a Whitish-Color on a Dark Screen?!? Sure there tiny, but I can tell if they are Dead or Active. Neither Scenario in acceptable in my book. Especially for RIM. Pixels should work as expected.

Also, I'm having Issues (Once again) with Updating my new Playbook.
    The First one would NOT Update on Christmas Day. The same thing occurred the day after, until late in the Evening.

What was Happening: It would Download a portion of the Update, and then say that it couldn't Update!! I think there is something wrong with RIM's Servers or something...
    It FINALLY Downloaded the Update 1.0.8.1667 at about 7PM, Dec. 26th. I'd say it could have been Heavy Server-Load or something...

Now I've got the RMA Replacement, and it isn't updating Either!! :^(

I'm going to call up RIM, and let them know what is happening...

*BlackBerry Devices are Very High-Quality, but I think their Network is failing for some reason... Which is probably why they have lost some of their Market-Share.
    Just thinking outside the box, why wouldn't you have updated your playbook before christmas, avoiding the christmas rush, then you wouldn't have had your 'Christmas rush' problem.

As for the button problem, i don't know why everyone has problems with it. Mine is hard to press but i only pressed it once, to turn my playbook on. It stays on only going into standby for easy accessibility. So the button really isn't a concern for me.
    12-31-11 07:37 AM
    Interesting enough, my own 64GB purchase from Staples 4 months ago have recessed power button. I just bought a 16GB from Sprint for my coworker the power button is raised as some reported as high as the volume key.
    01-05-12 03:11 PM
    Nice website playbookgeek, will probably make it one of my more frequently checked ones, keep updating it though!
    01-05-12 04:14 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD