Here's my fix for the recessed PlayBook Power Button.

How To Description:
    PlayBook Geek: Pimp my PlayBook - Round 2

It works well - particularly with the convertible case.

Dapper37 likes this.
    05-13-11 03:59 PM
    interesting fix, but i guess function over form in this case is more important.
    05-13-11 04:02 PM
    You could do that, but I'll choose not to. It's going to leave an ugly mess when the thing comes off, not to mention how ugly it is to begin with. I'll just keep using a pen on mine.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-13-11 04:11 PM
    Fear not. The first picture was taken with a macro lens about 4X magnification. At normal viewing distance you can't see the modification. The adhesive dries clear.

BTW: If you want better estetics, finish with 600 grit sandpaper. That will make the button absolutely perfect. I use a convertible case. I'm not as concerned since the button is covered by the case.
    Last edited by PlayBookGeek; 05-13-11 at 04:23 PM.
    cleveland216 likes this.
    05-13-11 04:11 PM
    Looks like you "arrived" on your playbook.
    05-13-11 04:17 PM
    i personally have not had an issue with the power button...
    and from day one, wondered why folks are griping about it...

perhaps its my narrow claw like fingers and sharp and pointed nails....
    all kidding aside, i have never had an issue with it,
    and preferred the flush design...
    Wolfdale7 likes this.
    05-13-11 04:40 PM
    Could probably apply a skin or something on the button to make it stick out a bit more.
    05-13-11 04:44 PM
    ITS NOT THAT SERIOUS!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a power button icon .....wright? I too have been using a "PEN" for activation.........when/if I turn it off, which is rare.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-13-11 04:56 PM
    not sure what all the fuss is about. Just push down, it works just fine. I like it being slightly hard to press. It it stuck up when you put it into the sleeve you would take it out of standby all the time.
    05-13-11 05:08 PM
    i cant believe its an issue, the xoom was to easy to hit. not as many complained, but the playbook is to hard to hit and theres been to many threads about this. i haven't used the power button except to initially turn it on.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-13-11 05:09 PM
    i personally have not had an issue with the power button...
    and from day one, wondered why folks are griping about it...

perhaps its my narrow claw like fingers and sharp and pointed nails....
    all kidding aside, i have never had an issue with it,
    and preferred the flush design...
    not sure what all the fuss is about. Just push down, it works just fine. I like it being slightly hard to press. It it stuck up when you put it into the sleeve you would take it out of standby all the time.

Just an FYI I didn't understand what the big deal was about with people complaining about the power button since the unit I have has the button sticking out a lil if not flush at most times. It didn't seem like too much of a problem so I kind of just forgot about it. THEN, I was in best buy picking up my convertible case. While waiting, I went over to the Playbook stand and started messing with the demo unit. I immediately noticed that the power button on that device was sunken in beyond being "flush" with the outer rubber/plastic. That thing was nearly impossible to press.

Just wanted to alleviate any of that confusion from other users as I couldn't figure out what the whole fuss was about either.
    05-13-11 06:04 PM
    The problem is the inconsistency with the build quality. The 16gb I initially got had a recessed power button that was a bit hard to press, but not impossible. I then looked at my co-worker's 64gb and the power button was raised and was WAY easier to press. The 32gb that I have right now seems to be in between (i.e. not completely recessed but not as protruded as it could be).
    05-13-11 06:14 PM
    Might be a stupid question but..

does anyone have pics of the recessed button vs the raised one?

when people are talking recessed, are they saying the button is below the cover?

Mine is about 1/2 a millimetre raised above the cover.
    05-13-11 06:44 PM

How To Description:

I envy people like this. I'm so anal with my tech not even a spec of dust I can tolerate. Bravo man I wish I was more like you I'd probably enjoy my tech more.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-13-11 07:11 PM
    I wonder how this would affect its warranty?

Why not just take it back. Show them one with the raised button
    vs yours.

It undoubtedly was changed during production.

I agree, a pic of the "bad" button vs the "good" button would be cool.

But then RIM might raise a fuss.

Tim
    05-13-11 07:18 PM
    Why not just take it back. Show them one with the raised button
    vs yours.
    But then RIM might raise a fuss.
    Tim
    Certainly something to consider. But honestly, I think my PlayBook now works better than any of the production models I've tried.
    05-13-11 08:16 PM
    Looks like a GREAT mod too me! Good work!
    05-13-11 09:31 PM
    I exchanged my 16gb playbook, for a 32gb. The power button is raised a little, just enough so you don't have to use your fingernail. The volume buttons seem more responsive too.
    05-27-11 04:43 PM
    i am continuously amazed at how many people replied with OMGWTFBBQBATMAN on this , geez the guy did something innovative , and wanted to show it off , so what if YOU don't have a issue , but someone with sausage fingers might and this is 1 of i am sure several ways someone might work around this little ( see what i did there ) problem.

As far as warranty, RIM probably won't care so much as he did not disassemble the unit , nor did he ruin it . he simply added something that did not damage it in anyway shape or form.

I applaud you for your thought and innovation ,
    Last edited by Wh0mpu5; 05-27-11 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Edited for spelling
    cleveland216 likes this.
    05-27-11 06:05 PM

How To Description:

You 'rigged' a $500+ device like that

05-27-11 06:25 PM
    I do have to comment on this...

There is a problem with the power button on SOME of the playbooks, but not all. The 16gb that i took back yesterday had a power button that was very difficult to trigger. I even bought the convertible case to see if it made it better. It didn't. It made it worse to where people were asking me about it.

Well I took it back and got a 32gb one and this power button is a DREAM compared to the other one. I tried the one at the store and it was even easier to use than my new one.

Strange... btw, my volume/play buttons were hard to use on the 16gb as well...
    05-27-11 06:35 PM
    Why didn't you add the same crap to the inside of the convertible case where the button goes instead of the PB? would have worked the same ways and the case only costs 50 bucks... lol...
    cleveland216 and jajano like this.
    05-29-11 02:50 AM
    Why didn't you add the same crap to the inside of the convertible case where the button goes instead of the PB? would have worked the same ways and the case only costs 50 bucks... lol...
    quite agree
    05-29-11 03:07 AM
    I am using the otterbox defender case and the power button is great! Good patch idea however!
    05-29-11 03:11 AM
    Could probably apply a skin or something on the button to make it stick out a bit more.
    Yes I ordered this case:

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=2VD1iz_6

It has a little rubber "bump" that goes over the power button. Makes it a lot easier to press. Though I personally hardly ever use the button.
    05-29-11 10:22 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD