OMG, I tried for weeks to get my desktop to do that by running my fingers along the keys. It came up with lots of characters but it didn't mean anything, well not that a human being could understand. I worked out that it was the keyboard that couldn't spell so I bought a new one. I've just tried it on my pb and guess what, it produces the same indecipherable characters that my desktop did. Please tell me this is not another long learning curve again like it was when I learned to spell as a child!
    Sorry - to be clear, I don't know whether swype style input is available on the PlayBook - I've just encountered swype as a keyboard / input model on other devices, so was trying to explain how it worked.
    01-28-13 08:33 AM
    Sorry - to be clear, I don't know whether swype style input is available on the PlayBook - I've just encountered swype as a keyboard / input model on other devices, so was trying to explain how it worked.
    Be careful who you impart this delicate information to. You do realise that it could be the end for educational establishments and the beginning of a new generation of keyboard swypers. The thing is, if you don't have to learn how to spell the word, how do you know exactly what the word means because it just appears on the keyboard and in your text.

I fear anarchy here but I still love my pb.

P's and my brandy!
    01-28-13 08:41 AM
    agreed... but i HATE the 5 minute time-out max with no option to keep the screen on.
    when i have it docked and want to use it as a sports score updater/tracker it always times out
    Stay ON Solves that problem. It is a free BB app.
    01-28-13 10:31 AM
    @sad_old_man: The PB does not have the Swype style "SwiftKey Flow" input. I am talking about the original version of the keyboard, the Android version. As to why it is useful, it is faster. Instead of having to lift your finger/thumb between every single letter, you just draw a line. With SwiftKey Flow, you don't even need to lift off between words; just draw a line down to the space button and keep drawing the next word etc. It doesn't remove the need for learning to spell any more than any other autocorrect/spell checker, such as the one built into the PB's keyboard. You still need to know where to draw the line i.e. which letters to use.
    01-28-13 12:06 PM
    @sad_old_man: The PB does not have the Swype style "SwiftKey Flow" input. I am talking about the original version of the keyboard, the Android version. As to why it is useful, it is faster. Instead of having to lift your finger/thumb between every single letter, you just draw a line. With SwiftKey Flow, you don't even need to lift off between words; just draw a line down to the space button and keep drawing the next word etc. It doesn't remove the need for learning to spell any more than any other autocorrect/spell checker, such as the one built into the PB's keyboard. You still need to know where to draw the line i.e. which letters to use.
    OMG more words of blasphemy! Android!!!!!!! You can't use words like that here!!!

You have now forced me to open the brandy again.

Thinking about it now in depth, I forgive you for using that word. Wonderful how mellow brandy can make you?

I do however understand the concept of this type of keyboard, it's a bit like the puzzle wordsearch. However try to think forward to a time in twenty years when spelling has vanished altogether.

The clue is in the user name 'sad_old_man'. It's an age thing! I still like to spell words myself. I hate predictive text and don't forget most of the software is written in the USA and although the US is quite good at grammar, I hate those software programs that continually correct my words by replacing the 'S' in my words with a 'Z' because that's how they spell it in the US.

Needless to say, it still doesn't work on my desktop and I just cannot bring myself to say the word Android let alone type it on here!

Back to the brandy I think.
    01-28-13 12:56 PM
    1080p cameras.
    01-28-13 01:00 PM
    1080p cameras.
    I love this forum. Yet another guessing game yyyeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!
    01-28-13 01:17 PM
    Stay ON Solves that problem. It is a free BB app.
    apparently Stay On needs to run fullscreen to allow the pb to stay on... that sort of defeats the purpose because I need other stuff on the screen at all times. do you know if there is an app that would run in the background and allow the pb to always be on?
    01-28-13 11:03 PM
    The PlayBook multitasks. If that app doesn't continue running in "default" mode, go to "general" in the main menu and select "showcase " mode. Showcase keeps every open app running and can be surprisingly handy.
    01-28-13 11:10 PM
    I love this forum. Yet another guessing game yyyeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!
    Hey sad_old_man can you stop distracting the thoughts of the serious members of this forum please? ;-)
    01-29-13 01:20 AM
    Hey sad_old_man can you stop distracting the thoughts of the serious members of this forum please? ;-)
    Your wish is my command!
    01-29-13 08:44 AM
    No one mentioned, "Fits in my coat pocket!".
    chr1sg likes this.
    01-29-13 12:46 PM
    How I am preparing: ordered and received my new 64G Playbook. Went to Verizon and had my current iPhone 5 service switched over to my old Storm 2. Setting up Bridge and getting reacquainted with my Berry world. IPad2 and iPhone 5 are up for sale! Also spent the entire time I was in the Verizon store convincing the reps to take RIM more seriously and I had a couple of them looking at this site for updated info and pics. Can't wait for tomorrow and all the news of when I can get my zed10!
    01-29-13 01:29 PM
    The PlayBook multitasks. If that app doesn't continue running in "default" mode, go to "general" in the main menu and select "showcase " mode. Showcase keeps every open app running and can be surprisingly handy.
    ah, there was a post about going to showcase mode but i thought it was for something else. thanks ill try that tonight when i get home.
    thats why i love this place!
    01-29-13 01:33 PM
    06 hdmi out
    07 Bold 9900 as a remote!
    01-29-13 02:47 PM
    07 You can't leave out Bridge.
    At the moment, I do not have a BlackBerry phone. However, I will soon be trading in my Droid DNA for a BlackBerry 10.
    01-30-13 05:05 AM
41 12