There's been alot of talk about putting BB10 on the PlayBook. But what will it look like? BB10 doesn't seem to use bezels and enjoy everything seems to be shown in portrait or vertical mode. I almost always use the landscape or horizontal mode. Will BB10 turn the device into something different from what we have now?
    09-29-12 08:26 PM
    i guess we dont know yet.
    BB10 is atleast what is shown to us yet a os for smartphones with a portrait Touchscreen. so no wonder it is made for this mode. it sure will supporta landscape mode for several apps as other os and well there are plans for phone with full qwerty keboard that will have a more landscape like display. What we see right now is a dev OS made for a specific hardware.
    09-29-12 08:53 PM
    BB10 absolutely still uses bezel gestures. On the phones, yes, it's biased towards portrait mode, but it wouldn't be hard to add a horizontal orientation as well.
    BB_Bmore and hpjrt like this.
    09-29-12 08:55 PM
    I don't think there will be a lot different between the PlayBook and the phone's BB10. There has to be tweaks made, but essentially it is the same exact OS. A phone cannot have the luxury of having a bezel, but because the PlayBook can I'd imagine that that will be still be in use. There are swipe features in BB10, but I figure that on the PlayBook there will be a bit more and they will start from the Bezel rather than from the sides of the screen.

As for the portrait or landscape modes, the phone and the PlayBook allows for both. I have a few apps that require landscape only and a few that require portrait only. My Android phone's apps all allow for landscape even though it too is really made for portrait, so I would figure the same would be true for BB10. I personally enjoy the portrait mode more, but others enjoy the landscape mode more.... and that is why most allow for the option of either or.

As for "will BB10 turn the device in to something different from what we have now?". I think yes and no. Ultimately there will be gestures and most will be about the same as what we are accustomed to, but it will be a big difference in the look and feel of the OS.

I don't work for RIM, so to be clear, this is just how it appears to me from everything I have seen and read.
    09-29-12 08:57 PM
    Apparently there will be 6 live tiles on the tablets and 4 on the phones. This is what someone who said they were in a meeting and saw BB10 on the PlayBook. Apparently it was also on a motorola xoom. RIM was showcasing it for licensing possibilities. Also if you look at html5test.com you will see BB10 browser in upcoming/beta benchmarks on a phone and a tablet. This leads me to believe that BB10 is already being built for PlayBook. I don't think it's gonna be a case of build it strictly for the phone and then tweak it for the Playbook. More likely that there is a phone and tablet build going on at the same time.

I'll attach the very grainy /blurry so called picture the guy took during this meeting were BB10 was being showcased on tablets. You see the 6.
    alan510 and THBW like this.
    09-29-12 09:31 PM
    Regarding fitting it on the PB - I was thinking in terms of free memory required. I only have 1 GB free... But, regarding your post, I think we can get a glimpse by watching the videos here on CB.

I think it will enhance the PB, adding improvements vs. taking away from our current experience.
    09-29-12 10:32 PM
    And another thing, yes, side bezel gestures still live on even in the Dev Alpha. Yes, the bezel is near non-existent, but it's still do-able.
    09-29-12 10:44 PM
    All i want is RIM to release the BB10 dev beta for PlayBook. I can live without the official 2.1 OS.
    09-29-12 11:34 PM
    All i want is RIM to release the BB10 dev beta for PlayBook. I can live without the official 2.1 OS.
    You may have to at this rate!
    09-30-12 01:19 AM
    Apparently there will be 6 live tiles on the tablets and 4 on the phones. This is what someone who said they were in a meeting and saw BB10 on the PlayBook. Apparently it was also on a motorola xoom. RIM was showcasing it for licensing possibilities. Also if you look at html5test.com you will see BB10 browser in upcoming/beta benchmarks on a phone and a tablet. This leads me to believe that BB10 is already being built for PlayBook. I don't think it's gonna be a case of build it strictly for the phone and then tweak it for the Playbook. More likely that there is a phone and tablet build going on at the same time.

I'll attach the very grainy /blurry so called picture the guy took during this meeting were BB10 was being showcased on tablets. You see the 6.
    Maybe tweak is too subjective of a term, but I don't think there will be a whole lot of work on the PB's BB10. To me, the code is there, the foundation is strong and what they should have to do is optimize parts of it for the tablet scene.

I would think it would make much more sense on the business side and software side to not have two separate OSs. It would take less resources (money and time) to have one OS and tweak it (I cannot get off that word) accordingly. RIM would probably want a versatile Mobile OS. Software is built to be dynamic now, the OS should be built in a way that it can resize the software, in this case the OS, accordingly. Also the ratio of a full touch phone is very similar to that of the Playbook (not exact,but very similar).

I think we both can agree that no matter what, PlayBook will get some BB10 love and the fact that they have it internally showcasing on a PlayBook (and non-PlayBook) is a good sign! Even if it is a major overhaul, then at least they started it and it is in working condition!

I think it is all speculation at this point, including what I am saying. I just don't see why they would have 2 OSs unless one build is the optimized version. That would allow them to change the phone's BB10 (the base) to fix bugs or add features and without having to do it twice, once for the phone and once for the PlayBook.

I think that RIM is playing this as smart as they can. By putting BB10 on another tablet shows that IF they HAVE to they can license out BB10 (last resort probably). They are also trying to standardize their hardware which should allow them get maximum efficiency of updating without using as much resources (a one-size-fits-all approach). They also haven't forgotten the tablets because they released the 4G model recently, so they must have plans to keep that particular format (with the Bezel and screen size). To have to build and maintain two separate OSs, that would be an odd omission to their careful planning.
    alan510 and BB_Bmore like this.
    09-30-12 02:27 AM
    ...I think it is all speculation at this point, including what I am saying. I just don't see why they would have 2 OSs unless one build is the optimized version. That would allow them to change...
    I'm not sure what you're thinking here. There IS only one BB10. There is only one development path, and it started with the original Playbook.

Different form-factors (i.e. full-touch, qwerty handset, tablet) will have different display considerations for SOME programs (not all, not even most) and they will all work consistently across devices.

There's only one iOS, too, remember, though I'm thinking if I'm an iOS developer I now have to pay attention to multiple displays there, too (iPhone5 + new iPod Touch, iPhone3-4 + older Touch, New iPad, iPad 1 & 2--that's four different display sizes right there, and I'm likely missing something).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-30-12 01:36 PM
    I almost always use the landscape or horizontal mode.
    Are there other choices?
    diegonei likes this.
    09-30-12 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD