Hi guys,

I'm a 9900 user but not really that tech savvy. I'm in the UK and looking into getting my first tablet. I had considered the ipad but once looking further into it I think I'm more inclined to stick with Blackberry, cost been one of the factors.

I have been looking on the forum and have seen quite a few threads about the release of 2.0, which appears to be expected this month but nothing confirmed as yet. Is there actually a new model of playbook coming out or is this just an update of the OS? What I'm getting at is if I bought one today could I just update the OS once released or is there actually new hardware coming out in which case would I be better waiting a few weeks?

I have a friend travelling to the US and am tempted to ask him to pick me one up while he's there but just worried it might be outdated very quickly.

Thanks in advance
    02-08-12 06:22 AM
    Hi guys,

.... Is there actually a new model of playbook coming out or is this just an update of the OS? What I'm getting at is if I bought one today could I just update the OS once released or is there actually new hardware coming out in which case would I be better waiting a few weeks?

I have a friend travelling to the US and am tempted to ask him to pick me one up while he's there but just worried it might be outdated very quickly.

Thanks in advance
    The update this month is an OS update only. A new 7" tablet with 3G and possibly a 10" version are rumored to be coming out end of the year.
    I say jump in. I love this tablet. I was considering an iPad (because I love my iPod so much) but was gifted a Playbook at xmas. Now I can access youtube fully from a portable device, respond to comments and maintain my channel all thanks to flash and the PB. There's no going back for me.
    02-08-12 06:30 AM
    That's great, thanks.

I'm not bothered about the 3g, I'll only be using it on WIFI in the home really, it's just a convenience thing as oppose to having to use the laptop which is now quite dated and I only really use for work.

I also need constant access to emails so will come in handy whilst abroad for connecting to wifi in hotel etc. to pick up my messages.

What's it like for media playback, i.e. if I wanted to watch a film on a plane or something along those lines? Also, from doing my research it appears that i wouldn't be able to use Skygo on the playbook as it requires silverlight, anyone know if there is a workaround for this? That could be a big deciding factor.

Thanks again
    02-08-12 06:49 AM
    I'm also in the UK and loving my Playbook (at this price, grab one!) It plays BBC iPlayer beautifully, but haven't tried Skygo - will give that a go later and let you know.

Will the US one be set up for UK? I'd never buy electronics in the US, personally. If he gets caught, he'll have to pay a hefty amount of import duty, and the Playbook isn't much more expensive here (169 from Currys/PC World).
    Last edited by Bluemoonjules; 02-08-12 at 07:02 AM.
    02-08-12 06:59 AM
    Emails are no problem if you are using web mail (hotmail, gmail, etc.) The PB does not have a native email client at the moment but it will when OS 2 comes out this month.
    I would have no worries about media playback. The PB is a great movie viewer. I have had a problem with the odd file depending on the format and encoding. For example a downloaded movie with only 5.1 surround sound encoded will not have any sound on the PB's stereo only sound system.
    It does play music, of course, and the built in speakers are stereo and pretty good. No equalizer yet though.
    As for skygo, I can't help you there. The PB's browser does not have a plugin setup so it currently cannot use services that require such plugins.
    02-08-12 07:10 AM
    Yeah might just look at getting one over here. 169 is for the 16gb, if I'm mainly using for browsing and a few apps will this suffice, or would you suggest stumping up another 0 for the 32gb?

Thanks
    02-08-12 07:29 AM
    The 16GB has been more than enough for me to browse, have several games, plenty of apps, 30 or 40 cd's worth of music and about 20 hours of videos and there is still about 4 GB space left. But heck if you can get more ram for the same price why not do?
    02-08-12 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD