So, went into my Best Buy yesterday, to see what I could find out about the PlayBook launch...and I wind up being the FIRST in-store pre-order for them. I was so excited, I didn't realize until this morning that they didn't even ask me which version I wanted...does that mean they're getting stock in ALL versions, or just one?

Standard story - they weren't exactly sure when they would get them in...just assured me I'd get the first phone call when they did...
    Last edited by mgm1979; 03-27-11 at 07:12 PM.
    03-27-11 07:00 PM
    It been how many days since RIM announced Best Buy as the prefer PlayBook retailer, and you're the first?
    Sound like a bit of a concern to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 07:05 PM
    I think most of THAT hangs with Best Buy getting their system setup to handle the pre-order...when I first asked, they had to consult 2 managers, who worked for about 10 minutes to get things together so I can place the pre-order.

I'm not worried - it'll come in when it comes in...and I'll be the FIRST one from the Southglenn (Littleton, CO) store to get mine!
    03-27-11 07:12 PM
    Even with the press release, until they do mass media advertising the PB will only be known to the techs. Most people who pre-ordered did so online.
    03-27-11 07:12 PM
    I know you'll get yours. I'm just wondering why you're the first one after all these days. But gregeratot put it best.

03-27-11 07:23 PM
    So, went into my Best Buy yesterday, to see what I could find out about the PlayBook launch...and I wind up being the FIRST in-store pre-order for them. I was so excited, I didn't realize until this morning that they didn't even ask me which version I wanted...does that mean they're getting stock in ALL versions, or just one?

Standard story - they weren't exactly sure when they would get them in...just assured me I'd get the first phone call when they did...
    In stores are only taking orders for the 16GB, but when I placed my deposit, I asked the girl if on the day of pick up if I wanted to get the 32 instead and just pay the difference would that be ok and she said yes. Im not holding my breath - as she didnt convince me.
    03-27-11 07:34 PM
    Well SOME bestbuy stores will NOT take preorders in store, called bestbuy and found this out after mine wouldn't. So be warned to all that you might not get an in store pre order. Thus I went to staples, but good to everybody that pre orders!
    03-27-11 07:41 PM
    Yeah, I'm going to call the manager tomorrow and get some clarification...there's ZERO chance of me getting a PB less than 64GB, so I'll just pre-order online if that's what I have to do to get one.
    03-27-11 08:03 PM
    I stopped into my local staples and best buy today and they were clueless. No signage, no info, nada. I am glad that I preordered last week from staples. I just hope they ship soon as I am like my son on christmas eve.
    03-27-11 08:17 PM
    yeah..
    I'm a Best Buy employee and I was the first one to pre-order at my store.
    The pre-order process is fairly simple, you scan a upc, credit a $50 gift card, pay for the gift card and you receive the gift card.
    Your name is placed in a system that is available to the associates in the order that you pre-ordered. The upc that we scan is ONLY for the 16gb model. But as most stores are going to receive ~10 16gb's, 5 32gb's and 5 64gb's, if you ask nicely and they put the size you want on your pre-order form, you should get the size you want.
    psiclne, mgm1979 and q649 like this.
    03-28-11 12:09 AM
    /\ that's good to know, thanks...hopefully I get the same information when I call my store back this afternoon.
    03-28-11 08:53 AM
    I went to my local Best Buy and the girl didn't know how to do the pre-order. Said she was only trained to do pre-orders of the Motorola Xoom. That confused me: if you know how to place one pre-order, you should know how to place them all, no? Either way, I went to Staples after, and not only did they know how to do a pre-order but they had signs everywhere advertising the PB.
    03-28-11 10:02 AM
    I went to my local Best Buy and the girl didn't know how to do the pre-order. Said she was only trained to do pre-orders of the Motorola Xoom. That confused me: if you know how to place one pre-order, you should know how to place them all, no? Either way, I went to Staples after, and not only did they know how to do a pre-order but they had signs everywhere advertising the PB.
    No, it's not the same. Completely different buttons have to be selected for a PB pre-order
    03-28-11 10:16 AM
    That must be for Best Buy in the US only, since I pre ordered my 32GB PB up here at a Best Buy (Canadian), and they did in fact have seperate SKU's for each model and the process was very painless. Here is a pic of said pre order receipt:
    Last edited by pozi240; 03-28-11 at 03:35 PM.
    03-28-11 11:14 AM
    When I pre-ordered mine today, (16GB was all I could do), the guys said, when we call you to make an appointment to come pick it up, just tell us you want the 64GB and we'll put that aside for you. If not, and I have to wait longer than the 19th, I'll just put my bestbuy gift card in my wallet and go to Staples or Office Depot since they are first come first serve and get a 64.
    04-03-11 10:37 AM
    Good ole Canadian taxes.
    04-03-11 10:53 AM
    Oh yeah! NS must be the highest or second highest in Canada. I am in Ontario now (12%) but will be in Alberta on June 9th (5%) so trying to deccide if I can wait that long to get a PB. Also buying a new PC, printer and MS Office so the tax on those items collectively gets very very high.

04-03-11 12:10 PM
    Pre-ordered my PB yesterday at Best Buy. They said hardly any preorders have been taken by their store yet but they are starting to get a lot more phone calls asking about it. I was told they would call me when it arrives.

04-03-11 12:46 PM
    3 bestbuys in Miami will not let me pre-order 32gb in store...only online. I asked if on april 19 they will have all models...all have said NO. Only 16GB model in stock...I'm hoping this is not true...if not I will go to staples or office depot on launch date

04-04-11 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD