I've used my new BlackBerry PlayBook for two days and would like to share my first impressions with the community.

Just a little background about myself: I'm an electrical engineer whose career took a left-turn into IT when PCs began appearing on desks. Over the next two decades I managed IT departments for high-tech firms and was exposed to an inhuman degree of vendor hype and underperforming technologies. Years of exposure to this mental abuse have caused me to become the polar-opposite of an 'early adopter'. I'm a critical cuss; just ask the bright people I've managed.

Kudos to everyone at RIM for creating the BlackBerry PlayBook. I'm not easily impressed but the PlayBook has made a very favourable one.

• The tutorials are clear, concise, and very instructive.
    • The tablet's build-quality, fit, and finish are excellent.
    • I like its slimness, clean lines, and soft-touch casing.
    • The display quality is outstanding.
    • Navigation is simple and straightforward.
    • Using the bezel as part of the UI is clever.
    • Performance, responsiveness, and stability have been very good.
    There's a tremendous amount of technology packed into a slim laminate of glass, plastic, silicon, and software. Good development tools are needed to realize its full potential so I paid a visit to the BlackBerry Developer's site. From my seat, I can see that RIM is serious about attracting developer talent. I hope more developers hear the call because the PlayBook is well provisioned to inspire creative minds.

Assuming a solid Tablet OS 2.0 release, and the appointment of a brilliant head of Marketing, this tablet has legs and can run far. I'm rooting for its success.
    02-06-12 07:25 PM
    you couldn't have said it better, i agree with all of your valid points.
    and welcome on the CB Forums.
    02-06-12 07:27 PM
    yes im new her to and have just bought a 32g PB after researching (iFixit: The free repair manual teardown) and am impressed . Stoked for OS 2 as well
    02-06-12 07:37 PM
    Yes I am new to the PB as well. Bought an ipad2 and have had an iphone. went back to a BB and got the playbook. Its a great solid device, as soon as 2.0 comes out I think it will even be better, love the bridge. Could have built in a 3g but win some you lose some
    02-06-12 07:40 PM
    3G will be moot once the 4G phones come out with hotspots. I would much rather have 4G and be able to use a hotspot for all my devices than have it built into one tablet...3G or 4G.
    02-06-12 07:45 PM
    3G will be moot once the 4G phones come out with hotspots. I would much rather have 4G and be able to use a hotspot for all my devices than have it built into one tablet...3G or 4G.
    You are already partly there with your 9930, although not LTE, you should have HSPA+ and upgrading to 7.1 will give you wifi hotspot. Works a charm here.
    02-06-12 07:54 PM
    OP made some fantastic points....What strikes me most is the dev tools....In short order some very amazing tools will be made available, with the potential for creative minds to build some stunning apps.....The thing about creative minds, is that often times they will choose a medium to push the boundaries of their capabilities and talents....QNX on BB devices will attract the best and brightest if only to push their own boundaries. Very powerful and potent development tools will attract some amazing talent.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-06-12 at 07:58 PM.
    kbz1960 and BuzzStarField like this.
    02-06-12 07:55 PM
    Don't forget the sound. The sound coming out of the PB is second to none compared to other tablets.
    02-06-12 07:58 PM
    Don't forget the sound. The sound coming out of the PB is second to none compared to other tablets.
    So true...This is the result Of QNX's brilliant multimedia and acoustics software.
    02-06-12 08:04 PM
    I would say the Touchpad has better sound.
    02-06-12 08:11 PM
    Through the speakers? Or A2P /aux out? Or both?
    02-06-12 08:14 PM
    Through the speakers? Or A2P /aux out? Or both?
    Both. Beats audio works through the speakers and the aux.
    02-06-12 08:18 PM
    OP made some fantastic points....What strikes me most is the dev tools....In short order some very amazing tools will be made available, with the potential for creative minds to build some stunning apps.....The thing about creative minds, is that often times they will choose a medium to push the boundaries of their capabilities and talents....QNX on BB devices will attract the best and brightest if only to push their own boundaries. Very powerful and potent development tools will attract some amazing talent.
    I like to think that it already has!
    kbz1960 and peter9477 like this.
    02-06-12 08:22 PM
    I like to think that it already has!
    A STAR is born!
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    02-06-12 08:55 PM
    I've used my new BlackBerry PlayBook for two days and would like to share my first impressions with the community.

Just a little background about myself: I'm an electrical engineer whose career took a left-turn into IT when PCs began appearing on desks. Over the next two decades I managed IT departments for high-tech firms and was exposed to an inhuman degree of vendor hype and underperforming technologies. Years of exposure to this mental abuse have caused me to become the polar-opposite of an 'early adopter'. I'm a critical cuss; just ask the bright people I've managed.

Kudos to everyone at RIM for creating the BlackBerry PlayBook. I'm not easily impressed but the PlayBook has made a very favourable one.

There's a tremendous amount of technology packed into a slim laminate of glass, plastic, silicon, and software. Good development tools are needed to realize its full potential so I paid a visit to the BlackBerry Developer's site. From my seat, I can see that RIM is serious about attracting developer talent. I hope more developers hear the call because the PlayBook is well provisioned to inspire creative minds.

Assuming a solid Tablet OS 2.0 release, and the appointment of a brilliant head of Marketing, this tablet has legs and can run far. I'm rooting for its success.
    Looks like we got our PB's the same day

This tablet really has a solid feel to it, it definitely has that RIM durability we all know and love with their smartphones. Another thing I'd like to add to your list is that the wireless sync capabilities are simply amazing to work with. I had also realized that because the web browser is very solid and works extremely well at rendering pages, many apps on my iPod Touch would have easily been replaced simply because the web browser on the QNX system is much better than the iOS system. True web and true multitasking, and it just keeps getting better, BlackBerry, its true Research In Motion.
    cuetip likes this.
    02-06-12 09:17 PM
    Hey telex123, how do you think of the credibility of US press on this amazing device?
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-06-12 09:30 PM
    Except when it gets that distorted sound problem that pops up periodically and requires a reboot. (I agree about the TouchPad sound otherwise.)
    02-06-12 09:32 PM
    Hey telex123, how do you think of the credibility of US press on this amazing device?
    Pretty credible as far as the execution is concerned.
    02-06-12 09:32 PM
    Except when it gets that distorted sound problem that pops up periodically and requires a reboot. (I agree about the TouchPad sound otherwise.)
    Agree with you. I thought 3.0.5 would fix the bug, but it's still there.

Otherwise, the Touchpad's sound blows any other tablet's sound out of the water.
    02-06-12 09:33 PM

now only if you worked for engadget...
    02-06-12 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD