I been looking around the internet and have yet to see anyone integrate a bb playbook. I have seen the ipad modded in the dash before, but no playbook. This is UNPAINTED currently, still letting the resin completely dry.

I have been working on this panel for about 2 days and Im getting ready to paint it in the following day or so. Its currently in my 2009 honda accord ex.

Currently i am only able to get audio out of the 3.5mm, but i have cut open about 2 micro hdmi cables to find the audio pinouts. once i figure this out, i will build the dock connecter into the panel. that way every time its slid into place audio and charging will occur.

Once this is all done, i will be moving onto amps, speakers etc. I have two pics of the build. first is the fitment and second is when it has been fiberglassed and unpainted.
    Last edited by tedmond; 05-11-11 at 04:47 PM.
    05-11-11 04:34 PM
    That looks pretty nice!
    05-11-11 04:36 PM
    that looks awesome, although id be far more tempted to trim it in black alcantara myself. bnut thats personal taste lol
    05-11-11 04:43 PM
    thanks, I'm hoping RIM is willing to make software changes for applications such as integration.

first off, i would like the option of having the screen turn off after maybe 15 min (extend standby delay time)

second, release some information about the micro hdmi and its pinouts. that way i can build the dock connector to get audio out of it.

if rim can do that, my build would be done. the hardest part is the dock connector and making it work.

and i am factory matching the paint lol orange is definitly not the colour i wanted. It was initially wrapped in brown felt, but it turned orange after applying fiberglass resin. tomorrow or the day after i will post new pics of the painted panel. cherrs CB
    Last edited by tedmond; 05-11-11 at 04:49 PM.
    05-11-11 04:46 PM
    ah there was a wicked cloth you could get, the name escapes me now that was really good for stretching, then make the base out of fiberglass matting and a mdf front ring (or in this case rectangle) then stretch the cloth all the way over, apply the resin then when set cut out the cloth so you have just the hole for the device. then you can either spray or trim that fiberglassed cloth real easy.

if your spraying then id advise using primer and sanding to find the low spots for if any filling is needed, thats the way i always used to do it for a perfectly smooth finish when i did spraying of fiberglass
    05-11-11 04:58 PM
    I think you're referring to fleece?

i am definitly still doing some body work on it before its gets primed and painted. Does anyone have info about the micro hdmi pinouts?

i have a feeling i might have to resort to using a DAC micro hdmi to hdmi, then from that hdmi to composite output converter.
    05-11-11 05:04 PM
    that looks really nice, great job.
    maybe you can go into business making them for other ppl's rides.
    05-11-11 05:07 PM
    Looks really good.

Just don't let the cop see it.
    05-11-11 05:12 PM
    its upside down!

jk looks good. im going to do something similar with a dell streak and my 89 cadillac
    05-11-11 05:53 PM
    I will be doing this as soon as the playbook gets some real GPS support and no standby while charging. Yours looks really good!
    05-11-11 06:02 PM
    Nice,great job, can't wait to see the finished product.
    I'd love to get something like that done in my bimmer
    you in TO by any chance?? lol
    05-11-11 06:39 PM
    I been looking around the internet and have yet to see anyone integrate a bb playbook. I have seen the ipad modded in the dash before, but no playbook. This is UNPAINTED currently, still letting the resin completely dry.
    Nice, what kind of resin do you use?

Maybe you'll find this silicone stuff useful for the small details.

https://sugru.com/
    05-11-11 06:56 PM
    Looks great so far! Nice to have a display you can actually read in the sun huh?

HDMI audio is going to give you a few headaches... Audio isn't transmitted over HDMI in analog, so you can't just grab the signal and bring it to an input. The best bet for now may be the earphone jack with a 90 degree plug or something. I'd say in the future you'd have a better chance with it gaining the ability to output over the BlackBerry music gateway and just wire that in. I've got the gateway at home and it is great! No noise and it works from a distance with no problem.

Just some thoughts on that part of it..
    05-11-11 10:19 PM
    Awesome! I want to do a dash mount for mine as well.
    05-12-11 01:34 AM
    Nice,great job, can't wait to see the finished product.
    I'd love to get something like that done in my bimmer
    you in TO by any chance?? lol
    I am actually, I live in Milton/Burlington area so the drive to GTA is close.

the resin i used is 3M Resin. It dries in 2 hours, but i applied another layer of resin to it would harden up real well.

As far as pinholes, scratches etc, i am using Evercoat lightweight body filler.

going to paint it today. I ended up ordering a DAC hdmi to composite + optical, which will be run optically into my Audison Bit one sound processor.

I am an audio installer/ student to check back for more crazy stuff in the next week or so.
    hpjrt likes this.
    05-12-11 07:28 AM
    update pleaaasssee!!!
    05-24-11 11:01 AM
    Looks great! Definitely keep things updated - could totally post this up in the blogs once you're totally up and running.
    05-24-11 11:24 AM
    I understand it is in the develomental stages:
    1. Did you incorperate a charger into it?
    2. I like to record while I am driving, can you see over the dash on that one?
    I think you have done a good job so far, please keep us updated as the project moves forward.
    05-24-11 11:28 AM
    It looks great, I have a Nissian Murano, and mine fits perfectly on the dash without having to make anything, once Blackberry pulls their head out of their a** and fixes the bluetooth, I'll be able to to use it for other things, it would be nice to play music through it instead of my palm pre.
    05-24-11 02:15 PM
    I am planning a similar build to replace a 9" lcd/carpc I have in my dash of my 2002 Venture. I have spec'd out the following parts to complete a dock and will be building a mold out of fiberglass as well. The playbook will slide into the top of the mold and connect with a micro usb and micro hdmi at the base.

http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Micro-HD...bUvbUpU7048056

Home-made usb otg hub which will provide charge power and otg capability for expanding the Playbook's storage via usb devices

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-Audio...bUvbUpU7048056

This will provide conversion for hdmi audio to analog and vga output to a rear roof mounted display for mirroring of playbook desktop.

I will be working out scripts to automount drives when plugged in via usb and turn display on/off when docked and autostart applications (nav/mp3).

I am hoping for better android support by completion of this setup and will be using mainly nav/obdii/mp3/video and potentially streaming content to the device via phone tether in the vehicle.
    Last edited by fnj00; 01-20-12 at 07:37 AM.
    01-20-12 07:34 AM
    I will be doing this as soon as the playbook gets some real GPS support and no standby while charging. Yours looks really good!
    You're presumably one of the few who either has a bad unit or simply cant get yours to work properly, but the GPS in the PlayBook is completely real, fully functional, and quite accurate. If you are having difficulties with it, you should try with someone else's PlayBook and you may see your own is defective. I have tested with eight different ones at this point and all worked flawlessly.
    01-20-12 08:17 AM
    You're presumably one of the few who either has a bad unit or simply cant get yours to work properly, but the GPS in the PlayBook is completely real, fully functional, and quite accurate. If you are having difficulties with it, you should try with someone else's PlayBook and you may see your own is defective. I have tested with eight different ones at this point and all worked flawlessly.
    of course the gps works...but no onboard maps makes it useless for people with no phone to bridge with.
    01-20-12 08:20 AM
    of course the gps works...but no onboard maps makes it useless for people with no phone to bridge with.
    There are options although some are currently a bit expensive. For example, Skylab Mobilesystems has plenty of downloadable, on-device, maps for countries and cities around the globe.
    01-20-12 09:17 AM
    01-20-12 10:18 AM
    Mght I suggest the blackberry blutooth audio receiver. Get them used on ebay cheap. Would go well with a Rockford or other DSP preamp, then to amps. Might be better then screwing wih hdmi audio. Then if you are hooking up screens in the back the hdmi can be split and connected. Playbook also has screen mirroring or main screen off so it can be legal to have it play when driving.

Milton eh. I was both an EC Drurry and MDHS student at one time. Remember the golden nugget arcade on Brant? Or audio art in Waterdown?

Nice build dude. Looks great.
    Spinalguy likes this.
    01-20-12 11:10 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD