The newest release of Firefox for Android is supposed to have better support for tablets - so why aren't we seeing Firefox for Playbook?

I'm sure there are reasons - RIM would rather invest time in their own browser of course, Mozilla doesn't have a compelling reason to do the work, and most developers prefer to get paid rather than work on something for free.

But supposedly Android apps are easy to port to the Playbook, and certainly a port or even (dare I dream?) a native version of one of the world's most popular browsers can only help the Playbook's overall viability, probably by a lot. I'm not quite sure what the process would be to get it into App World but imagine something could be worked out.

Why isn't this a thing?

Why can't it be?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    08-31-12 05:53 PM
    What did Mozilla Firefox say when you asked them if they were going to support OS 10?

(Have you asked?)
    08-31-12 06:13 PM
    The newest release of Firefox for Android is supposed to have better support for tablets - so why aren't we seeing Firefox for Playbook?

I'm sure there are reasons - RIM would rather invest time in their own browser of course, Mozilla doesn't have a compelling reason to do the work, and most developers prefer to get paid rather than work on something for free.

But supposedly Android apps are easy to port to the Playbook, and certainly a port or even (dare I dream?) a native version of one of the world's most popular browsers can only help the Playbook's overall viability, probably by a lot. I'm not quite sure what the process would be to get it into App World but imagine something could be worked out.

Why isn't this a thing?

Why can't it be?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Most developers deem anything from RIM to be 'behind the times'.

I won't comment on whether or not that is the case. Some may argue it is still so, regardless of RIM's efforts to embrace developers.
    08-31-12 06:16 PM
    I wish they would put Firefox on the playbook.hope they do it on bb10

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    08-31-12 06:33 PM
    This is Mozilla's answer from about 8 months ago:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms Blackberry

Due to the Java-based development system and inability to build C/C++ apps, the full Firefox browser will not be available on the Blackberry OS. However, a future version of Firefox Home may be available for Blackberry.
    anon(3641385) and ralfyguy like this.
    08-31-12 06:42 PM
    This is Mozilla's answer from about 8 months ago:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms Blackberry

Due to the Java-based development system and inability to build C/C++ apps, the full Firefox browser will not be available on the Blackberry OS. However, a future version of Firefox Home may be available for Blackberry.
    Good reference. And now they have no technical excuse since PB native apps are written in C++. Porting an iOS version should be a cakewalk.
    Zildjian71 likes this.
    08-31-12 07:16 PM
    To put it honestly, Firefox on Android is terrible. It's one of the worst browsers ever on Android even with their new optimizations, why anyone would want it is beyond me. Even most Android users refuse to use it, lol.
    08-31-12 11:56 PM
    To put it honestly, Firefox on Android is terrible. It's one of the worst browsers ever on Android even with their new optimizations, why anyone would want it is beyond me. Even most Android users refuse to use it, lol.
    The (Android) Google Chrome browser is waaaaay better !
    luqman24 likes this.
    09-01-12 03:26 AM
    Because android users have too many free options.like dolphin. I still can not access my Hotmail by native browser
    09-01-12 07:32 AM
    We can't port android version of Firefox to PB, because it need native library to run which PB android player don't support. Unless they build a native version of Firefox for PB.
    09-01-12 07:41 AM
    Why would you want any other browser than the one on the PlayBook? Probably the best I've used.
    09-01-12 09:23 AM
    Because android users have too many free options.like dolphin. I still can not access my Hotmail by native browser
    No problem. Install SimpleBrowser+ and set your browser to anything you want
    09-01-12 09:27 AM
    No problem. Install SimpleBrowser+ and set your browser to anything you want
    As much as I see the value in SimpleBrowser, it's one thing to change the browser id, and another to access whatever features you have in a real Firefox.

And you know what? I don't care about Firefox anymore. Give me Chrome and password/bookmark sync!
    09-01-12 10:33 AM
    Dolphin works far better on android than firefox does,
    Just my opinion.
    09-01-12 11:12 AM
    The (Android) Google Chrome browser is waaaaay better !
    When it's not locking up the entire OS, that is. I've had to uninstall it and go back to the native android browser on all of my ICS and JB tabs because of frequent random crashes/reboots. Very unstable.

Note: PB users don't know how good they have it under OS 2.x. It may have a few missing features and/or rough edges, but at least you're not experiencing the kinds of stability issues and data loss that seem to plague android.

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    diegonei likes this.
    09-01-12 11:21 AM
    Dolphin works far better on android than firefox does,
    Just my opinion.
    For sure. But I don't think Dolphin works well in PB. Even installed it and got black screen. Had to had restart my PB and uninstall it. no real options in PB.
    09-01-12 01:54 PM
    Why would you want any other browser than the one on the PlayBook? Probably the best I've used.
    Zotero, Zotero, zotero
    For academic citations.
    09-01-12 02:33 PM
    can you access new hotmail by the one on the playbook that is the best? I know some not the best can do
    09-01-12 03:05 PM
    can you access new hotmail by the one on the playbook that is the best? I know some not the best can do
    Here, invade my privacy as I make a statement.

Only thing stopping us is the PB's browser ID. The browser itself can handle it without issue.
    09-01-12 04:20 PM
    That may have been true a couple versions ago, but in the last two version it has improved enormously. It now significantly outperforms Chrome (on my device at least).
    09-01-12 05:30 PM
    That may have been true a couple versions ago, but in the last two version it has improved enormously. It now significantly outperforms Chrome (on my device at least).
    Can't agree more ffx 15 is excellent.
    09-01-12 06:13 PM
    Here, invade my privacy as I make a statement.

Click to view quoted image

Only thing stopping us is the PB's browser ID. The browser itself can handle it without issue.
    How could u make it. I cannot
    09-01-12 07:11 PM
    How could u make it. I cannot
    Why, the screenshot itself had the answer: SimpleBrowser (which is the PB native browser with a bit of tweaking, sowe can change the browser ID).
    09-01-12 07:43 PM
    I have got a hold of the apk file for FireFox and converted it but it never worked. Even if it did, the PlayBook browser is far superior so there is really no point at this stage to even worry about it.
    09-01-12 09:58 PM
    Why, the screenshot itself had the answer: SimpleBrowser (which is the PB native browser with a bit of tweaking, sowe can change the browser ID).
    Thanks.

Didn't know it is simplebrowser. I meant the rim browser that cannot. Open new Hotmail.
    09-01-12 10:20 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD