I'm an avid Blackberry fan and have always had one for business and personal use. I got sick and lost my kidneys awhile ago so needless to say my forum participation and Playbook purchase had to take a backseat. A dear friend of mine bought me a BestBuy gift card and my PB will be delivered today. Does anyone have any advice as to what accessories I should have? And what OS I should run?
    05-24-12 09:29 AM
    I would upgrade to 2.0.1.358 (I think I got all those numbers in the right sequence) It's been working fine for me since I downloaded it.

The PB comes with a Neoprene case, but I ended up buying a memory foam one instead, I like the added protection. As far as cases go I currently have 2 I don't like for various reasons. Cases really are a personal choice, so enjoy hunting!

Welcome and Enjoy the PB. I certainly have been.
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 09:33 AM
    You will have to upgrade to the latest OS when you first setup the PB. Unlike the phones we don't have much choice in the matter. Be sure to be in an area with wifi and an electrical outlet(need 20% charge to update).

One of the magnetic rapid chargers would be a good first buy. A dock for no case or a corded charger for a case.

Welcome.
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 09:40 AM
    I'm currently using a Dock at work so I can easily glance at e-mails and what not when my laptop is busy doing something else.
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 09:43 AM
    Congratulations on your Playbook! I would definitely agree with upgrading to the latest OS, I've stayed current with my PlayBook and haven't regretted it yet. I went with the convertible case for my PlayBook, the only minor issue I have with it is the inability to have the case closed while it's charging. I'm currently waiting on a BlackBerry mini keyboard for it from CrackBerry.

Sorry to hear about the issues with your kidneys, I pray that you are on the mend now though.

If you're into games, be sure to check out Stunt Pear as well as the free offerings from Gameloft along with their 99 cent offerings.

Welcome to the community!

Russ.
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 09:58 AM
    Thanks for the input everyone. As we speak I'm narrowing down my choices. Hey Russ, I hear that the mini keyboard is a must so I'll definitely look to get my hands on one. I'll give that game you mentioned a shot and let you know what I think. Thanks for the welcome and the prayers.
    russnash likes this.
    05-24-12 10:13 AM
    05-24-12 11:13 AM
    Air Browser is Free in appworld (you need wifi for appworld access) and allows you to meander around the files and folders on your pb. There are some really good managers like it but that cost a bit.

I like the corded rapid charger - then you generally don't have to worry about the type of case (some do not allow access to the charging port, especially in the dock).

Ah, here's a Walmart Page that shows both the dock and the corded charger:

BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet Rapid Charging Dock Stand, Blackberry Playbook Travel Charger, Playbook Rapid Charger Stand, Playbook Docking Station

Best of health for you and your pb.

Here's a link someone posted today on a case (I have that case, I think but purchased elsewhere)

http://www.brookstone.com/blackberry...ist|71216%206p
    05-24-12 11:23 AM
    Must Have applications: Files and Folders, PDF Reader, Battery Guru, Book Reader, Dairy Pro, Remote Desktop, and Smart Office. These applications put the "professional" in the BlackBerry marketing slogan "The World's First Professional-Grade Tablet." Combined with a BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Bridge you will quickly wonder how you managed without this tablet. If you are looking at Bluetooth keyboards and mice, beyond using the BlackBerry smartphone as keyboard and mouse for the tablet you have options such as BlackBerry's OEM keyboard and case as well as my favorite the Hipstreet Playbook Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard. For a standalone Bluetooth mouse I recommend the Logitech V470. As for external storage you can use the microSD card in the smartphione via BlackBerry Bridge or say an external hard drive like the Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi External Hard Drive.

Enjoy your new BlackBerry PlayBook!
    05-24-12 11:53 AM
    I get tired about reading about the various rapid charger and trying to differentiate them. I just put together a composite. I have to guess though that the DOCK version comes with the "cloverleaf" cord??? The wired one does come with that cord
    Attached Thumbnails Finally getting a playbook today!!!-dockandrapidpcharger.jpg  
    05-24-12 12:12 PM
    Get the Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook & Blurex Slim Leather Portfolio Case With 2 Tier Stand for Blackberry Playbook from Amazon.
    05-24-12 12:46 PM
    Yeeiiii!!! I rejoice with you I remember how happy I was when I ordered my first one a 16gb at the highest price point no less, even more excited when I ordered my second one a 64gb at less than half the price when the 1st one was stolen! In terms of accessories a good case to protect your pb. I'm a sucker for good leather, I've used the senacases folio not bad, good leather very protective but it covers the bezel. Just got me a vajacase, a tad expensive but my goodness its one heck of a good case. Excellent leather with a very slim profile and good protection, leaving that beautiful bezel exposed! Let the swipe begin!!
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 01:13 PM
    I was a little confused the other day when I was looking at the various chargers available, basically, I wanted one for my PlayBook to charge it in my vehicle. I found that on closer inspection, quite a few of the 'playbook vehicle chargers' were not 2.1amp chargers and therefore were no better than the charger I use for my blackberry phone when behind the wheel. In the end, I decided to opt for one of these instead:

TeckNet� iEP392 12000mAh Dual-Port 3.1Amp External Battery Pack and Charger
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 02:02 PM
    First and first most, I hope you have good recovery and everything goes fine.

Accessories-wise, I opted for a convertible case so I can have it next to my bed to an upstanding position and watch films, documentaries, e.t.c. I also went for a second case-keyboard option since I am heavy DocsToGo user (both case and keyboard purchased from eBay as I can't afford paying for them more than I did for my PB). When it comes to software, as everybody else said make sure you have the most up to date firmware. Apps that are in my PB are Spashtop, GeeReader, Presenter's Edge, Flash Video, Classical KUSC and BlueBox.

Enjoy your gift.
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 02:10 PM
    Congrats my friend and I hope you get well. I'd recommend the OtterBox case, it adds a little bulk but the protection is well worth it especially if you let the kiddos play a few games here and there.
    dragons9sons likes this.
    05-24-12 02:33 PM
    THIS IS AWESOOOME!!! It's like friggn christmas and my birthday being on the same day and having a great burger and a beer. I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to apps so I'll start with the basics then work on your suggestions. As far as cases go, I'm a firm believer in being prepared so I chose the otterbox (for the kids, thanks blkaces), the convertable (for everday use, thanks Russ I think I'll grab that charger as well lol) and the back ordered Blackberry keyboard with case. Since I'm under strict instructions from the Doc to relax I'm gonna REALLY get to know my new PB.
    05-25-12 09:30 AM
    Great to hear!

While relaxing, Amazon Prime movies play very well on the Playbook
    05-25-12 09:39 AM
    Congrats. I dunno if many of you watch French Soccer, but the Playbook is a bit like the team that won their league this season, Montpellier HSC. Their opponents spent millions building teams and have super stars in almost every position. You keep your head down and consistently work as a team and you win, even though on paper your team does not stand a chance against others. The Playbook had a very balmy reception, RIM keeps chipping at it and its going very well now. Just look at the latent demand for the device now. Awesome.
    05-25-12 10:15 AM
    Congrats on the PlayBook. A rapid charger is a very good investment. Also check out some of the CrackBerry how to videos they help a lot.
    05-25-12 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD