Can someone tell me how I can get a file from the pb file system to the android file system? I tried copy and paste but when I go to the android file system there is no paste.
    01-30-13 05:36 AM
    Technically speaking, you can't copy and paste files between apps. This is not Windows, where you can copy a photo using Windows Explorer and then paste it into Word. On the PB, all you can do is copy text from one app and then paste the text into another app. This applies to native and android apps alike. You can, however, copy files from one folder into another folder- again, it doesn't matter if the folders are "native" or "android"- by using a real file manager such as Ghost Commander, Files and Folders, or Air Browser (there are others also). These apps are all available in app world.
    01-30-13 02:06 PM
    Why is my F&F screen different from the developer's? I paid for the downloaded version and there are no instructions or words to describe what the various folder stand for.

Example: on the left side of the screen(top to bottom) is the word Playbook, then Name, Size, Created (1969-12-31!!), Modified (1969-12-31), Free Space.
    The middle column has a series of folders: .boot, .seed, accounts, air, apps, base, etc. etc.
    The only thing that my screen has in common with the current Innovatology slide show demo is the Status Bar.

Innovatology, I hope you are reading this, but your Manual, which I downloaded and printed is of no help to me at this time, because I cannot relate your instructions to anything on the screen.

What is wrong? I am disappointed, especially when so many others are touting this App.
    01-30-13 06:43 PM
    Why is my F&F screen different from the developer's? I paid for the downloaded version and there are no instructions or words to describe what the various folder stand for.
    It looks like you've got "lost" in your folder structure. To get back to the folder where your documents are stored, just back up as far as you can with the arrow in the top-left corner. Then follow the highlighted folders back to your documents folder.

Alteratively, set this to be your home folder as follows: swipe down and tap Settings > Startup, choose Playbook: Documents and exit the settings. Now, anytime you wish to return to your starting position, just tap the Home button (with the house icon). Note that this button is hidden if you are already in your home folder.

You'll usually only work with folders inside /acounts/1000/shared, such as documents, camera, downloads, music, videos etc. The other folders are for advanced users who would like to explore their PlayBook.

I recommend you review the section called "The PlayBook file system" in our online or in-app user manual, which explains how the file system of the PlayBook is organized.
    01-30-13 07:09 PM
    Like I said It won't LET me copy the file I want from the playbook file system to the android file system. I copy the file I want and navigate to the android file system and their is no option to paste. I want to view files on my side loaded app. Not the native playbook app.

Technically speaking, you can't copy and paste files between apps. This is not Windows, where you can copy a photo using Windows Explorer and then paste it into Word. On the PB, all you can do is copy text from one app and then paste the text into another app. This applies to native and android apps alike. You can, however, copy files from one folder into another folder- again, it doesn't matter if the folders are "native" or "android"- by using a real file manager such as Ghost Commander, Files and Folders, or Air Browser (there are others also). These apps are all available in app world.
    01-30-13 07:56 PM
    What app are you trying to use to copy and paste, and where precisely are you trying to paste the file- and don't just say "the android file system".
    01-30-13 08:14 PM
    Like I said It won't LET me copy the file I want from the playbook file system to the android file system. I copy the file I want and navigate to the android file system and their is no option to paste. I want to view files on my side loaded app. Not the native playbook app.
    Are you pasting to the right location?

The Android file system is in /accounts/1000/shared/misc/Android and should allow you to paste your files.

AFAIK, the /SDCard path is an alias and is only there because some Android apps expect such a path to exist.
    01-30-13 08:22 PM
    It looks like you've got "lost" in your folder structure. To get back to the folder where your documents are stored, just back up as far as you can with the arrow in the top-left corner. Then follow the highlighted folders back to your documents folder.

Alteratively, set this to be your home folder as follows: swipe down and tap Settings > Startup, choose Playbook: Documents and exit the settings. Now, anytime you wish to return to your starting position, just tap the Home button (with the house icon). Note that this button is hidden if you are already in your home folder.

You'll usually only work with folders inside /acounts/1000/shared, such as documents, camera, downloads, music, videos etc. The other folders are for advanced users who would like to explore their PlayBook.

I recommend you review the section called "The PlayBook file system" in our online or in-app user manual, which explains how the file system of the PlayBook is organized.
    ______

Sorry but I do not find this response helpful enough. My screen does not look anything like what you indicate. Where's the Setting>Startup prompt? Let me give you a very simple example of what I am trying to do (as an experiment for my intro into F&F): Let's say that I have a file named "North Bay Restaurants" inside my Docs to Go App that I would like to modify inside F&F. Can you walk me through from Step 1? Don't assume i know everything because when you assume (and here I go again on a pet peeve with many posters) something you make an a** of u and me.

Better still, let's say that I am reading an article in the Vancouver Sun and I would like to save and modify it in Files and Folders. What do I click first? The F&F screen is totally different from mine. I do not understand what you mean by saying that I "got lost in [my] folder structure.

Note: I just found out how to take a Screen shot so I will send you one tomorrow (I do not have wi-fi at home) and will have to find a hot spot to do it. Sorry for the rant, but I have had such high expectations from F&F, after reading all the posts, and i am sure it is a good App, but instructions are somewhat lacking.
    02-02-13 12:38 AM
    Innovatology, are there any plans to incorporate SMB, CIFS file systems into Files & Folders?
    If that were included I would have no requirement for other file managers.
    02-02-13 06:56 AM
    Sorry but I do not find this response helpful enough. My screen does not look anything like what you indicate.
    The screen in Files & Folders will of course depend on which folder you are looking at and which files it contains. If you are looking in your documents folder, it will show your files, not ours. In the top of the screen, next to the back arrow, you'll see a bar which shows you your current folder. What does that say?

Where's the Setting>Startup prompt?
    Swipe down from the top edge of the screen. A menu will appear, containing various cloud icons on the left, and settings and help icons on the right. Tap the Settings icon. This will open the settings screen, which contains various pages. The tabs on the left are used to go from page to page. One of those pages is called Startup, and allows you to change how Files & Folders starts up. One of the items on that page allows you to choose the default folder that Files & Folders shows each time you start the app. If you are not familiar with the folder structure of your PlayBook, I recommend selecting "PlayBook: Documents".

Let's say that I have a file named "North Bay Restaurants" inside my Docs to Go App that I would like to modify inside F&F. Can you walk me through from Step 1?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "modify inside F&F", but let's say you want to rename the "North Bay Restaurants" file.

1. make sure you have set your default (startup) folder as described above.
    2. close and re-start Files & Folders. This will make sure we're all on the same page.
    3. your "North Bay Restaurants" file should be listed in the file list on the right-hand side of the screen.
    4. tap the "North Bay Restaurants" file. The file will turn blue, indicating it is selected.
    5. the left-hand side of the screen will show a menu with things you can do with whatever file or folder is currently selected (blue)
    6. tap the Rename button on the left-hand side of the screen
    7. a window will pop up asking you for a new name. Type the new name, and tap OK

As an exercise, try navigating to your "Camera" folder. This is located inside your "Shared" folder, alongside the "Documents" folder, so you'll have to tap the Back button (the left-pointing arrow in the top-left corner of the screen) to go up to your "Shared" folder. Then tap the folder icon named "Camera". Now you'll see all the photos and screenshots you have taken. Tap "Back" again, tap "Documents" and you'll be back where you started. There are various other folders too, such as "Music", "Videos" etc.

Better still, let's say that I am reading an article in the Vancouver Sun and I would like to save and modify it in Files and Folders. What do I click first?

I don't think the PlayBook browser has a way of saving a web page to your device. You could copy and paste the text into Docs To Go and modify it there, but that has nothing to do with Files & Folders. F&F never modifies any files - it is a file manager that allows you to organize, rename, delete, copy and in some cases view files. In function, it is similar to Windows Explorer on a PC, or Finder on the Mac. It shows you your files & folders, allows you to move stuff around, and open files with other apps. It isn't meant to modify anything.

The F&F screen is totally different from mine. I do not understand what you mean by saying that I "got lost in [my] folder structure.

Could you describe your screen? It is a little difficult to help if we don't know what you're seeing.

The PlayBook contains a quite complicated folder structure. Some users get lost and end up browsing through system folders, unable to find their way back to their files. That's why we highlight the path from the root folder back to your documents folder, as a sort of breadcrumb trail.

I have had such high expectations from F&F, after reading all the posts, and i am sure it is a good App, but instructions are somewhat lacking.
    It might be a good idea to ask a computer-savvy friend to help you out, sit down with your PlayBook and explain some basic concepts. It's rather difficult to do that via a forum or e-mail.

F&F is a fairly advanced app that, among other things, shows you the internals of your PlayBook. We indeed do assume a certain familiarity with file & folder structures, and being able to navigate around, because for most of our users it is obvious. If the concept of a folder structure is not familiar for you, then perhaps you have no need for an app like Files & Folders. Just because an app is good, doesn't mean you need it.

I hope this helps.

02-02-13 06:57 AM
    Innovatology, are there any plans to incorporate SMB, CIFS file systems into Files & Folders?
    If that were included I would have no requirement for other file managers.
    Now that it seems the Work folder feature in BB10 is limited to BES users, we've bumped SMB/CIFS support up the todo list. We'll be talking to RIM BB staff this week at BBJam Europe to figure out what their plans are. If there is a gap that needs filling, and it is technically possible, we'll do our best. But we're still of the opinion that this should be implemented or at least facilitated at OS level, and not limited to one app. That way, all apps can take advantage of mounted network shares. There is some movement in that area, and we hope to find out more this week.
    02-02-13 07:06 AM
    I agree, SMB/CIFS support should be at the OS level but you seem to move faster than BB.

So, even if support for networked file systems is implemented in Files & Folders it would only be in the BB10 version, it will not come to the current Playbook version?
    I do realize the current system has a relatively short life expectancy.

Thanks for the quick response.
    02-02-13 07:59 AM
    Since many people are having trouble with the PB file organization in their PBs would it be worthwhile to have an app which would generate a road map of the particular structure to help not only with understanding but also organization of the files. If so would this be a separate app or would it be included in the file manager?

Will the PB file structure be modified in BB10 as implied in the previous post? Is there a F&F app which runs on the new phones.

This thread has been helpful to me in better understanding of Files and Folders and the riches to be found in the app.
    02-02-13 01:59 PM
    Since many people are having trouble with the PB file organization in their PBs would it be worthwhile to have an app which would generate a road map of the particular structure to help not only with understanding but also organization of the files. If so would this be a separate app or would it be included in the file manager?
    A "tree view" is on our wishlist. It can also be very helpful in finding folders that use a lot of space.

Will the PB file structure be modified in BB10 as implied in the previous post?
    There are more similarities than differences.

Is there a F&F app which runs on the new phones.
    Absolutely, see our Facebook page. The BB10 version is currently awaiting approval from App World folks.

This thread has been helpful to me in better understanding of Files and Folders and the riches to be found in the app.
    Glad we could help!
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-02-13 03:28 PM
    Boy your an arrogant mug ain't ya.

What app are you trying to use to copy and paste, and where precisely are you trying to paste the file- and don't just say "the android file system".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    02-02-13 04:11 PM
    I'm pasting in the documents folder in the android file system. I've starred it and copy from the docs folder on pb to docs folder on the android side. Give it a try. See if it works for you. It's a docs to go word doc.

Are you pasting to the right location?

The Android file system is in /accounts/1000/shared/misc/Android and should allow you to paste your files.

AFAIK, the /SDCard path is an alias and is only there because some Android apps expect such a path to exist.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    02-02-13 04:15 PM
    Well this arrogant mug still wants you to elaborate- don't just say "the android file system". The reason is because there are two android file systems which essentially mirror one another. One is located at /sdcard. The other is located at accounts/1000/shared/misc/android/ (as Innovatology noted above). Using files and folders, you can't paste into the first location, but you can paste into the second. Pasting into the second, though, will result in the file appearing in the first. So, I repeat, where are you pasting the files, and don't just say the "android file system".?
    02-02-13 04:52 PM
    OK, boys, before you continue calling each-other names: it's our fault. The algorithm that tries to predict which folders are read-only and which are read-write is flawed. We'll try to fix that. But for now, /accounts/1000/shared/misc/android is the one to use if you want to write/paste/modify, not /SDCard.
    phylez and KennethD like this.
    02-02-13 09:18 PM
    I understood that the /SDCard folder was just a symlink for apps that expect to see and SD Card.

I've deleted my response since it was a bit redundant anyway.
    02-02-13 09:33 PM
    Thank you.

OK, boys, before you continue calling each-other names: it's our fault. The algorithm that tries to predict which folders are read-only and which are read-write is flawed. We'll try to fix that. But for now, /accounts/1000/shared/misc/android is the one to use if you want to write/paste/modify, not /SDCard.
    02-04-13 05:39 AM
    With the initial BB10 release we focused on getting (almost) all the PlayBook features usable on the phones. Of course we'll be tweaking and adding in the coming weeks/months as we get a chance to test with stock apps and other 3rd party apps.
    Where did you land on whether or not to charge again for the BB10 app in BlackBerry World for users who already bought it for the PlayBook?
    02-05-13 07:05 PM
    Where did you land on whether or not to charge again for the BB10 app in BlackBerry World for users who already bought it for the PlayBook?
    Unfortunately we had to release the BB10 version as a separate product, but we're running a special promo which - we hope - will compensate somewhat.
    02-05-13 07:41 PM
    Files & Folders for BB10 is now available!

Update: Some BB10 users have reported that the app doesn't load - it just exits during the splash screen, or even before the splash screen is displayed. If you encounter this problem, try removing & reinstalling Files & Folders via BlackBerry World, and let us know how you get on!
    Last edited by Innovatology; 02-10-13 at 08:24 PM.
    02-05-13 07:43 PM
    Files & Folders for BB10 is now available!
    Congrats man
    Question (sorry, probably been answered, but don't want to dig through pages and pages) - will the BB10 PlayBook version be released under the same app ID?
    02-05-13 10:07 PM
    will the BB10 PlayBook version be released under the same app ID?
    We'll have to know more about BB10 on PlayBook before we can even think about that.
    02-07-13 11:38 PM
254 ... 678910 ...