Hi folks - transferring media to my Playbook from a mac (Lion) and as many have noted, it is very slow. I have set up wifi and usb access but can't actually access the playbook via wifi. How are mac users transferring large media such as movies to your playbooks? Thanks!
    01-08-12 11:31 AM
    I have Snow Leopard, and when I plug in the PB, the desktop software comes up, and a Blackberry icon appears on the desktop. Click on the icon, and you will have access to all the folders and files on the PB. Find the documents, or pictures, or videos folders and drag and drop from your Mac.
    sjfwhite likes this.
    01-08-12 12:10 PM
    Thanks - that is what I have been using. Are you finding that sync through the desktop app is painfully slow for you?
    01-08-12 12:18 PM
    I'm not using the desktop app, I just click on the icon that appears on the desktop. Watch the desktop when you plug in the PB. If your desktop is cluttered with icons, the Blackberry icon will be superimposed on the Macintosh HD icon, otherwise it will appear on the next available empty spot on your desktop. That spot might be covered by the app window, so minimize the window and look for the icon.

The Mac OS treats the PB as just another storage device, so it's the same as transfering files to or from a USB flash drive. It's not lightning-fast, but I have transferred about 10 GB worth of video files over 20 min or so.

I can't stand using the sync function that comes with the desktop app. If a video is not part of iTunes, the app ignores it completely, and I don't know how to transfer a video to iTunes.
    01-08-12 12:36 PM
    I have Snow Leopard, and when I plug in the PB, the desktop software comes up, and a Blackberry icon appears on the desktop. Click on the icon, and you will have access to all the folders and files on the PB. Find the documents, or pictures, or videos folders and drag and drop from your Mac.
    I am doing the same thing and it works flawlessly. Back up process does not take that long granted that I do not back up media files. With about 620MB file sizes, it only took under 4 minutes, for applications and settings.

About big files transfer such as movie via usb, it is not that bad. It took me about 10 minutes or less to migrate just over 2GB files.

FYI, I am using Snow leopard Mac OS, MacBook 13" bought in 2010. Also, the transfer occurred from external drive to the PB. It is half the time faster moving file directly from MAC HD to PB. Thought that I should clarify further.
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 01-10-12 at 11:51 AM.
    01-08-12 12:46 PM
    This is what I do on my Lion based Mac:

Playbook control panel settings:
    Go to About --> Network
    Get the IPv4 address. This should be something like 192.168.1.xxx

Go to Storage and Sharing
    Ensure that File and WiFi Sharing are ON
    I have my password switched off for the moment

Then:
    1. On the Mac browser (I use Firefox) enter the IPv4 address obtained from the Playbook in the following format: smb://192.168.1.xxx
    2. A window will pop up asking for login information. I use "Guest" since I do not have a password set up.
    3. Another window will pop up asking for the volume to be mounted. I use "media".
    4. A window will open showing all the folders in media.
    5. I copy whatever I need to from/to my Mac from/to the appropriate Playbook folder.

Data transfer time is around 60MB/min. A bit slow, but adequate.

If a sharing password has been set:
    If you want to use a password with file sharing, which is highly recommended, go to Storage and Settings --> Network Identification and change/obtain your Username. I believe the default is "playbook". Also change your Workgroup to whatever you have set up for your network.

In step 2, above, select "registered user" rather than "guest". Enter your Playbook's username obtained from the Network Identification page and enter the password you have created for file sharing. The rest of the procedure is the same as before.

Hope this helps.
    ALToronto and 93Aero like this.
    01-08-12 01:11 PM
    This method didn't work for me - I tried eliminating the password, logging in under several possible usernames (the ones listed in the PB didn't work), using the password, using the old password I initialized the PB with - nothing worked; could not log in. Hardwire it is.
    01-08-12 06:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD