hey everyone, i'm in the middle of transferring 10gb worth of videos onto my playbook and it's going at a rate of ~1.5mb/s

so i was just wondering what your average speeds were for wired file transfers?
    is there any way of transferring files faster?
    04-08-12 03:43 PM
    I feel your pain.
    Before a security wipe I had <2mb/sec as well, both on USB and wlan.
    After the wipe I got up to 10mb/sec, but milage varies.
    Did not yet check on usb after the wipe, for I was happy with wlan afterwards.
    04-08-12 04:01 PM
    I get about 1Mb/sec on Wifi (g/n doesn't matter) but USB is a lot faster (~5Mb/s). If I need to transfer large files, I do not use Wifi connection. I'm glad I have just 16GB model.
    04-08-12 04:28 PM
    Don't have any stats, but have been pleased using Laplink on my computer. It treats PB as another hard drive. I have set up 2nd PB reasonably fast by loading all videos, pictures, etc that way. I think Laplink has a specially efficient was of transferring (all new) data. I think it is really fast backing up my PB media onto the computer. It only transfers changes.
    04-08-12 04:31 PM
    what is the main thing that affects the speed? is it the pc or the playbook itself?
    from your posts it seems that my transfer is pretty slow.. how could i speed it up without wiping the pb?
    04-08-12 07:55 PM
    I have never been able to figure it out. I've been to few other places where I tried similar operation (copying large files from a PC) and it appears to be about the same - meaning file transfer through Wifi connection is slow due to PB's limitation. I can transfer to another PC using the same Wifi network at much more reasonable rate.
    04-08-12 08:03 PM
    Why use wifi? It appears that usb v 2 does the best job?
    Yet OS 2 and HD Gameloft Huge Games download amazingly fast over wifi?

I am totally not an expert!!!
    04-09-12 12:04 AM
    Not to be a stickler, but I think some of you guys are getting your B's mixed up. B=byte while b=bit. At transfer speeds of 2Mb per second, it would take over an hour to transfer a 1 GB (gigabyte) file. A transfer speed of 2 MB per second would take about 8 minutes to send the same file.
    04-09-12 12:45 AM
    For me I get 1-1.5mb wifi, 5mb usb.
    04-09-12 01:16 AM
    about <1Mb via Wifi, 5Mb via USB
    04-09-12 01:23 AM
    I think its not the fault of the Playbook but your WIFI. I do have this issue on the Playbook and my Home NAS on a Dual Channel Wireless N.

With WIFI, I am getting about 2MB/s transfer to my NAS on Raid 1. With Gigabit, I get 80MB/sec read speed (limitation of my NAS). With the same situation, I can only get 1.5-2MB/sec through my Playbook. Even if you put your Playbook and laptop side by side wit the WIFI, I'll only gonna get 3MB/sec. Its a bit disappointing

- Charles
    04-09-12 01:30 AM
    PC to PB Wi-Fi Transfer 2MB
    yet
    PB to Speedtest.net Wi-Fi is 3.046MB

So my Internet is quicker than my Wi-Fi yet I'm using the Internet through my Wi-Fi.

Okayyyyy

04-09-12 04:49 AM
    Hi. It is faster to read from the network than to write to it. That's not a PlayBook thing. If you need to copy large amount of data to the PlayBook I suggest you use USB.

If the FileManager would be able to mount a network share (your shared folder on your laptop) to read from there and write locally it would be faster given that all other parameters remain the same.

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook.
    04-09-12 05:06 AM
    hey everyone, i'm in the middle of transferring 10gb worth of videos onto my playbook and it's going at a rate of ~1.5mb/s

so i was just wondering what your average speeds were for wired file transfers?
    is there any way of transferring files faster?
    Have you considered setting up a web server for file transfers???

If you are using a Windows computer to transfer files to your PB try setting up a web server using IIS. Here is the thread that helped me set it up: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...haring-609013/

It is faster than WiFi Sharing but I doubt it is as fast as using a USB cable. If you don't want to be bound by cables check it out!
    04-09-12 06:54 AM
    I get ~5mb with USB.. and around ~1mb with WiFi.. Have things changed?
    05-14-12 01:16 AM
    I've been using my playbook for a month now - overall very impressed. Anyway - I recently did a security wipe which has eliminated a lot of the buggy interface and I've been using FastCopy - FastCopy - to copy files to the playbook by USB - I can get speeds between 3 - 6Mb a second - copying movies is really quick - right now I'm getting 3Mb but I'm also side-loading at the same time .... !

file transfer speed from pc to pb?-fast_copy.jpg
    11-23-12 11:14 AM
    .wrong place to post delete me
    11-28-12 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD