Hi,

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask...
    But say I'm not at home, and I want to transfer an mp3 file that is on my pb to a friend: either on their pc, laptop, or onto another device... If they don't have wi-fi, is it possible without getting them to install the Desktop Manager, which they probably will never need afterward?
    07-13-12 02:21 PM
    I've used Dukto (From Appworld: Free Dukto - Download Dukto - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World ). And it works like a charm and is very fast.

There's a program that you get from the author's website to download to your PC, or in my case MAC.
    07-13-12 03:04 PM
    I agree-Dukto works well.
    07-13-12 03:07 PM
    Thanks !

I just installed the app and maybe I need some coaching...

Can I plug the pb in my pc via usb (that's a sentence my grandma would appreciate...) and transfer files from there ? Then how so ?

Thanks in advance.
    07-13-12 03:24 PM
    No plugging! It's all done wirelessly.

You have to download a client program on your PC or MAC... then enter in the IP address of the "other" device. Look at Dukto's author's website.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't provide a more thorough response.
    07-13-12 03:28 PM
    You should be able to plug into a friends computer and transfer files. It may load a couple drivers when you plug in the first time but Desktop manager is not needed. I think the drivers for mass storage reside on the PB.
    07-13-12 03:34 PM
    Depends on how big a fiie but why not just put it on a CD or thumb drive? Hard to imagine anyone these days without access to wireless unless way out in the wild.
    07-13-12 03:48 PM
    No plugging! It's all done wirelessly.

You have to download a client program on your PC or MAC... then enter in the IP address of the "other" device. Look at Dukto's author's website.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now and can't provide a more thorough response.
    Thanks, but I did specify I was looking for something to transfer fils w/o wi-fi, and w/o the need to install programs onto my friends' pc's (I said w/o installing Desktop Manager, but I meant anything they won't ever need afterwards).

For example, nothing bugged me as much as when someone came to my house, prior to my having wi-fi, and suggested I should install itunes so that they could transfer songs to my pc from their ipads...

You should be able to plug into a friends computer and transfer files. It may load a couple drivers when you plug in the first time but Desktop manager is not needed. I think the drivers for mass storage reside on the PB.
    I just plugged my pb in my pc via usb (god I hate saying that !), I started Dukto on the pb, and I reached a window that says "Send data to...". Now from there, if I get it right, I should enter my pc's ip address. I did so and selected "send file". An explorer type window appeared, I selected a file and clicked opened.
    A new window appeared that said "connecting...". and then I got an "error: 5" message...
    07-13-12 04:05 PM
    Depends on how big a fiie but why not just put it on a CD or thumb drive? Hard to imagine anyone these days without access to wireless unless way out in the wild.
    I travel to far remote places (Cambodia for example). Plus I have friends who are rather technology deficient and still run p4's with xp, and sometimes don't have any internet. Plus I have friends who are convinced that wi-fi gives you brain cancer.
    Not so hard to imagine for me.

So please assume I'm asking for valid reasons.
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 07-13-12 at 04:16 PM.
    07-13-12 04:06 PM
    Hi,

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask...
    But say I'm not at home, and I want to transfer an mp3 file that is on my pb to a friend: either on their pc, laptop, or onto another device... If they don't have wi-fi, is it possible without getting them to install the Desktop Manager, which they probably will never need afterward?
    Guys - I think he said he does not have wi-fi
    Yes Dukto is a great product but requires wi-fi

email would work
    07-13-12 04:08 PM
    Guys - I think he said he does not have wi-fi
    Yes Dukto is a great product but requires wi-fi

email would work
    Ah, I thought it would work over usb... That's what I'm looking for.
    07-13-12 04:19 PM
    Ah, I thought it would work over usb... That's what I'm looking for.
    You don't need any programs installed to use the USB cable. Just plug it in. I have done it on a few work computers. A Window should popup to view files. I think it installs some drivers on the PC the first time.
    07-13-12 04:25 PM
    You don't need any programs installed to use the USB cable. Just plug it in. I have done it on a few work computers. A Window should popup to view files. I think it installs some drivers on the PC the first time.
    Well, if so, stupid me : I was convinced that you needed the Manager...

Thanks, I'll go try with my gf's pc right away.
    coverk likes this.
    07-13-12 04:31 PM
    NO wifi? I've got a convoluted solution using a bbphone but nothing needs to be installed on the pc. Filescout (using wifi) on a bbphone can connect to a computer using the browser and transfer files to/from phone-computer and there are apps for the pb which can copy/transfer files to/from pb-bbphone. I don't know if it can use usb.

Email as mentioned but that depends on file size in some cases.
    07-13-12 04:32 PM
    Didn't work. When I plug it in my gf's pc, which doesn't have Manager installed, a pb drive does appear after Windows seems to install some drivers. But it doesn't give access to files : the drive only opens to a Desktop Manager install exec.

So I may not be so stupid after all...
    07-13-12 04:43 PM
    Didn't work. When I plug it in my gf's pc, which doesn't have Manager installed, a pb drive does appear after Windows seems to install some drivers. But it doesn't give access to files : the drive only opens to a Desktop Manager install exec.

So I may not be so stupid after all...
    Or maybe I am...

I see what went wrong : one thing does need to be installed : the Device Manager. Then it works and the PB appears as a mass storing device.

I forgot all about that because I installed everything right away, Device and Desktop managers, when I first used the tablet. So I'd simply assumed that you needed both for it to work.

Sorry about the confusion. And thanks for all the suggestions anyway. I could have answered my own question this time, if I'd been a little bit smarter.
    07-13-12 05:11 PM
    I travel to far remote places (Cambodia for example). Plus I have friends who are rather technology deficient and still run p4's with xp, and sometimes don't have any internet. Plus I have friends who are convinced that wi-fi gives you brain cancer.
    Not so hard to imagine for me.

So please assume I'm asking for valid reasons.
    I guess I was philosophizing about the internet and yes I realize that some people may not be able to use it for various reasons. Can't comment on Cambodia but assume internet is available in spots even there. Yes I assumed that you had valid reason and suggested the old time solution of copying to a thumb drive or a CD which can be used on even fairly old computers. I still have an old HP running XP. My technology deficiency is not miniscule and I'm still having trouble with Windows 7.
    07-13-12 07:17 PM
    Not much wi-fi in Cambodia. In fact, not that much electricity at all... And the same can be said for great parts of Asia and Africa.
    This is why I chose the pb for a tablet, actually : it appeared to me that 64g would make me less relient on cloud computing.

And trust me, if you ever need to go to such places, don't assume you'll be able to download anything from the Internet. Even if you"can", it is often so painfully slow that you'll think twice before even checking your emails. (And you'll pray none of your friends decided to email an mp3 to you that week ! )
    Last edited by angkorbeer; 07-13-12 at 07:33 PM.
    07-13-12 07:31 PM
    Some phones will allow you to create a mobile wifi hotspot. On newer HTC's it's built-in, not sure about other Androids, but you can get an app for that. On iPhone you'd need to jailbreak. I think BBOS 7.1 has it too, and there are even applications available that will turn your laptop into a hotspot.

Otherwise, consider getting a little travel router or portable hotspot. Those can be had for $30 or so, and will allow you to set up a temporary wifi network. You can also stick a sim card in for internet access.

Just create the hotspot, connect the PlayBook and laptop to it, and turn on Sharing on the PlayBook.

BB10 should be getting the ability to transfer files via BlueTooth. It already works one-way with the BB10 Dev Alpha.
    07-31-12 06:15 AM
    To break one of your rules, this installs in a free version a programme on your friend's computer, but Connectify creates its own local wi-fi zone most easily with Win 7 Pro, but I think also with earlier operating systems. Eg I take a picture from my car in a parking lot and transfer the jpeg or avi file to first my Playbook, then my laptop (using Eye-Fi in the camera.)

So the cancer fearers should only get small cancers since the wi-fi zone is very small.
    08-13-12 04:50 PM
    I'll look it up. Thanks !
    08-13-12 06:46 PM
    So maybe the answer is to get it on a thumb drive using your personal system and then take that with you or send it to the friend. Maybe wifi does cause brain cancer but holding a cell phone up to your ear for hours every day may microwave your brain. Dennis Kucinich is going to protect us in the USA. Travel routers can be had on occasion for less than $20 in the USA. I got a ZyXEL from Amazon and ,since my Netgear needs psychiatric help, have been using it hooked up to my Comcast cable for a couple of weeks. I'm forty feet from it through two walls and have enough signal to visit Crackberry. But you have to have some sort of modem to hook it into.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 08-14-12 at 12:04 AM.
    08-13-12 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD