I have searched the forum archives on this issue, and while there is a lot of great advice, I have not seen a solution my problem. I have no difficulty connecting the Mac to the PB, either by WiFi or USB. Transferring a file from PB to Mac works without a hitch. But I cannot transfer a file from Mac to PB. Every attempt generates a dialogue box with the following message:

One or more items can’t be copied to “media” because you don’t have permission to read them. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?

This happens with both WiFi and USB connections, whether by copy-paste or drag-drop, and with every file type (pdf, Word, etc.). Clearly the problem is with the Mac but I have not been able to find a fix. Can anyone help? Thanks
    10-20-12 09:11 AM
    Does the user you're logged in as on the Mac have administrator privileges?
    10-20-12 09:15 AM
    I assume so since it is a personal computer and never connected to any network. I am asked for a password when attempting to transfer a file, and I get the above message after entering it.
    10-20-12 09:19 AM
    Confirmed, I am the administrator.
    10-20-12 09:54 AM
    (...) I am asked for a password when attempting to transfer a file, and I get the above message after entering it.
    You need the BB password to 'mount' it on the mac, like on the PC.
    But afterwards you definitely shouldn't be asked for a password as soon as the BB volume window opens on the desktop.
    Try with a file from the mac's desktop: should transfer without asking anything.
    Then try moving your 'faulty' mac file to the desktop. If you get a request for a password there's where the issue lies.
    The BB Desktop software on the mac is geared to transfer files that you indeed have a right to move in the mac. If you try moving one from a place where you don't have this right, that's a mac-side issue...
    10-20-12 11:08 AM
    I just use Dropbox to transfer files. Dead simple and works on any platform. I use Files and Folders, which can also use Google Drive, Box, SugarSync, and SkyDrive.
    10-20-12 01:01 PM
    Moving a file to the desktop first and dragging from there makes no difference, same message.

It is when an attempt to transfer is made (drag-drop or copy-paste) that the request for a password appears, then, only the Mac password allowing changes in the system (e.g. installing new software) is accepted. Following that is when the permission to read message appears. As I have said, transfers from PB to Mac are no problem. It is a Mac problem but what is the fix? Maybe something in the security settings but I have not been able to find it. Really frustrating.
    10-20-12 04:46 PM
    Dropbox may be a solution but it should not be necessary. Other people can transfer from Mac to PB - why not me?
    Last edited by BBburner; 10-20-12 at 05:47 PM.
    10-20-12 05:29 PM
    One more thing. The dialogue box that pops up when I attempt a file transfer says: "Type your password to allow Finder to make changes." Maybe this is a clue to something on the Mac that is not set properly.
    10-20-12 06:52 PM
    10-20-12 08:01 PM
    This sounds like you have encrypted your Mac drives, that is why it's probably asking you to enter your password to transfer the files.

When you mount your PB, try this:

Open a Terminal in Mac.
    cd /Volumes/media
    touch foobar

See what the system says. If nothing happens you have confirmed you have r/w access to the PB, so it's definitely the Mac that is enforcing a password policy.
    10-20-12 08:38 PM
    OK, I have it working now and, for the benefit of posterity, this is the detailed procedure.

1. With Mac and PB both on and showing desktop screen, connect with USB cable.
    2. PB will show Connected to Computer screen.
    3. Mac will start up Blackberry Desktop and (eventually) show desktop icon labeled “media”.
    4. Open Finder, select folder containing file to be transferred. Size this window to fit left half of screen.
    5. Select “media” icon. The folders/files shown are on the PB.
    6. Select destination folder in PB. Size this window fit right half of screen.
    7. Drag file from left (Mac) window to a folder in right (PB) window.
    8. To transfer from PB to Mac, drag from right window to left window.
    9. Eject "media" device and unplug USB cable.

Do not try to move file by copy here and paste there. Do not drag file from Mac to "media" icon. In both cases I get the request for password problem outlined above (YMMV). Don't ask me why this procedure works, while copy-paste does not, cause I sure as **** do not know.

I have not tried this with a WiFi connection, but think it should also work OK.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

10-21-12 06:48 AM
    I always encounter password block during wi fi transfer if I do not drag a file from Mac to a Playbook specific folder. For example dragging a video file to a video folder. Any off positioning will prompt for a password which I cancelled and try again.
    10-21-12 08:49 AM
    I have been sitting her for 2 hours trying to figure out how to do this. I had the exact same problem as you. thank you SO much for igving step by step instructions on how to fix it!

09-10-13 10:03 PM