So, I have a question to those more knowledgeable about file strutures. I was looking at my Playbook directory through file sharing on my computer this evening. All of the normal Playbook file folders are there, i.e., bookmarks, books, camera, documents, downloads, misc, music, photos, print, videos, and voice.

My movies are, of course, in the "videos" folder. If I click on that folder, I see my videos.

On a whim, I clicked on the "Misc" folder and I see an "Android" folder inside the "Misc" folder. Fair enough. So I decide to click on the "android" folder and I see 11 different folders, i.e., Alarms, data, DCIM, Download, Movies, Music, Notifications, Pictures, Podcasts, RadioCache, Ringtones.

On another whim (I get these alot), I click on the "movies" folder and to my surprise, it contains all of the videos that I have put in the regular "videos" folder.

So here is my dumb question: does this mean that my videos have been duplicated twice, i.e., there are two copies of my videos on my playbook:

One Copy in: Playbook/Videos/Name of Movie
    Second Copy in: Playbook/Misc/Android/Movies/Name of Movie

This also occurs for Pictures and Music.

Or is this just how the Playbook's Android thing works, i.e., I don't really have everything duplicated and should not go about deleting anything
    02-29-12 11:37 PM
    my best guess is that those folders act just like shortcut folders in windows. both those folders and the folders in the regular playbook open up to the same "area". their path is the same, so really there's no duplicate copy.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    03-01-12 12:28 AM
    Check your storage and delete a Android file and check it again.
    03-01-12 12:44 AM
    The PB file system maps various common folders (videos, music, pictures, downloads) into a series of symbolic links into the Android file system structure. This makes it easier to access these folders from within an Android application. Even the camera folder is in there (DCIM).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they map *all* of the important folders since I can't seem to find "documents" anywhere from within ES File Explorer.

RCK
    03-01-12 01:16 AM
    I saw on my file manager and didn't like it since it looks like android app have access to all my main file folders.
    03-01-12 01:20 AM
    I saw on my file manager and didn't like it since it looks like android app have access to all my main file folders.
    As opposed to QNX apps having access? I guess I don't understand what the concern is - how else are Android apps supposed to work with stored data files? Some, like RepliGo, seem to go beyond the Android file system and have the ability to navigate all the way to the PB's root folder directly.

Also, duplicating data in a separate file system would be a tremendous waste of space, so...

RCK
    03-01-12 01:28 AM
    The PB file system maps various common folders (videos, music, pictures, downloads) into a series of symbolic links into the Android file system structure. This makes it easier to access these folders from within an Android application. Even the camera folder is in there (DCIM).

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they map *all* of the important folders since I can't seem to find "documents" anywhere from within ES File Explorer.

RCK
    Yup, Documents is missing in action, although if you drill down another folder "stream" you can find it - BUT, BIG BUT, if you copy anything into it that way, the files and even folders will not show up. They are there in the Android apps but missing in the native OS. You need to delete them in the Android side of things. Using GhostCommand, what I did was copy stuff to the download folder (from my main computer) and then using the native apps (files/folders/etc) to move them into Documents.

What I had initially done was copy an entire Folder of pictures using Ghost Command. They copied. Ghost Command could open and show thumbnails. I even rebooted, so they were on my pb in Ghost. But the native apps could not find them. They did take up space but were "not" there.
    Last edited by F2; 03-01-12 at 09:16 AM.
    03-01-12 09:13 AM
    Back to the original post... I have checked and my PB is duplicating files in the android misc folder, whats worse is that if you delete them it also deletes the PB version too.... I checked this by transferring a known volume of mp3/m4a music to the PB having checked the memory usage first. Having completed the transfer twice as much additional memory was used as than had been sent from the desktop to PB

This is only at the annoyance level at the moment as i have 'spare' space, but this is a really silly fault that needs fixing soonest!
    10-28-12 08:22 AM
    There really should be a sticky on this question, since it gets asked so often. It is not a fault of the system, the duplicate files are not really duplicates but are in effect shortcuts to the actual files, and they do not take up any additional space.
    10-28-12 09:11 AM
    Back to the original post... I have checked and my PB is duplicating files in the android misc folder, whats worse is that if you delete them it also deletes the PB version too.... I checked this by transferring a known volume of mp3/m4a music to the PB having checked the memory usage first. Having completed the transfer twice as much additional memory was used as than had been sent from the desktop to PB

This is only at the annoyance level at the moment as i have 'spare' space, but this is a really silly fault that needs fixing soonest!
    And to expand on pacoman's reply - WINDOWS (mac????) will report the space based on these "duplicate" files but they are not actually taking up space on the pb (well, just a tiny bit for the "shortcut links.")
    10-28-12 09:52 AM
    Yeah, Windows reports the total size of my media folders (including the misc folder, where a full set of duplicates reside, but not including my SD Card folder, where another set of duplicates reside) on my 64 Gig PB as being 80.3 Gigs.
    10-28-12 10:09 AM
    Yeah, Windows reports the total size of my media folders (including the misc folder, where a full set of duplicates reside, but not including my SD Card folder, where another set of duplicates reside) on my 64 Gig PB as being 80.3 Gigs.
    See, there's a reason folks like Windows - it can expand your file storage capacity beyond the actual physical limitations!
    10-28-12 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD