I'm sure I've read something on this but cant find it - anyway why is there such a big differential between the size of files and their footprint on the playbook.

ie.. just loaded a load of ebooks onto one and windows tells me there is 2.4gb of files taking up 9.1gb of disk space like its multiple registering. the same files on windows are down as being 2.42gb.

is there a way to deal with this?
    12-13-13 10:35 AM
    This is due to the size of allocation unit on disk. For example, a 1 byte file will always occupy one block of storage, which is usually at least multiple kilobytes size and could even be into megabytes in an inefficient storage format.
    12-13-13 10:40 AM
    I figured cluster would have a little to do with it but not that much as windows has the drive down as ntfs although I assumed it was a linux format so it should store stuff in a tidier fashion than it is doing
    12-13-13 12:18 PM
    Windows doesn't know. The Playbook has an android side of its file system, and many of the PB's media files show up in the android folders as sym links to the original files. These links take up no extra space on the Playbook, but Windows doesn't know this and "sees" these files as being the same size as the files they're linked to. As such, many media files are counted twice or three times by Windows. Thus, on my 64 GB Playbook, Windows reports my media folders (including the misc folder, which contains the android side) contain a total of 100 GB of files.
    12-13-13 04:33 PM
    I'm sure I've read something on this but cant find it - anyway why is there such a big differential between the size of files and their footprint on the playbook.

ie.. just loaded a load of ebooks onto one and windows tells me there is 2.4gb of files taking up 9.1gb of disk space like its multiple registering. the same files on windows are down as being 2.42gb.

is there a way to deal with this?
    File Size on disk occupies blocks not bytes. So if you have a file that is 1 byte and a block size of 512 bytes then it will still occupy 512 bytes. The space is divided in blocks for easier addressing.
    03-11-14 07:08 PM