I have at last managed to access my PC from PB selecting "run" on the PC and typing in " (Playbook IP)" which is fine, but will I have to do this every time, or is there another way?

Regards and thanks in advance,

pjmac35
    05-16-12 04:49 AM
    The first thing is to make sure you have all of your computers and PlayBook set to the same workgroup. By default, Microsoft uses WORKGROUP as the name (older operating systems or the Home versions may use MSHOME). It's generally best to rename the workgroup to something different, which will require a restart. Once the workgroup is changed on all of your systems, you should be able to browse your local network and see the PlayBook as a device. I've set my own network up like this, and I can even scan to my PlayBook via SMB with my Ricoh copier.

Conversely, you could also map the IP or host name of your PlayBook as a network drive. Right now between my Samba server and secondary drives I have too many network drives as it is

hope this helps you out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 05:16 AM
    You can put a Shortcut on your Desktop.

right click on desktop -> "\\Playbook IP" (Without the "") -> next -> give that shortcut a name (for example "playbook") -> thats it

that just works if your playbook gets the same ip all the time, but normally it should.
    05-16-12 05:18 AM
    Thanks for taking the time. I used the shortcut method.

pjmac35
    05-16-12 07:29 AM
    The IP address of the pb can change and so you might have to change the numbers of the IP address.

You can set up a static address for the pb.

Here's what a member posted:

If you go to 'Wi-Fi' on your PlayBook and select 'Saved Networks' under 'Select a network', edit your wireless network and uncheck 'Automatically obtain IP address'... there you can set a static address for your PlayBook to use.

Your typical settings will be:

IP Address: 192.168.X.X (this will be your local network... if your linksys sits on 192.168.1.X then your IP can be anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254... obviously it can't be the same IP as your linksys or any active device on the network)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: (I use OpenDNS) 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220
    Default gateway: 192.168.X.X (the IP you use to access the linksys page)

It may be easier doing this on the linksys device it self... try and find a page which lets you enter a hostname, MAC address, IP address and lease time.

---------------------
    05-16-12 09:43 AM
    Just use the PB network ID.

In windows explorer type:

\\PlaybookNetID and press enter.

PB network ID is under storage and sharing.

NO NEED to KNOW the IP address.

Been posted 20 times.

I used my first initial and PB, so my ID is \\jpb Short and simple.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    05-16-12 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD